Van Der Graaf Generator - 5.1 mixes coming in 2021. It's happening!!

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

jefe1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Well the cheapest I have found this box set for me is from Amazon Uk for $169 including shipping and no tax so I have placed a pre order for now.......
still a hefty price but this is a huge box set........

albertop

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Are there any details on the remastering of the original mixes? Are these the 2005 remasters or new remasters?
I can only consider the box set if the remasters are new (and well done).

srbjab

I haven't seen any detailed info on what versions of The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other, World Record, and The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome will be included so these may very well be the previously released 2005 remasters, which would be a shame. New remasters would be preferable for these titles, but I really would've liked an additional blu-ray or two with high resolution flat transfers of the original mixes on all of them. I'd gladly pay a higher price if these were included. BUT, considering all the additional material (live and rare tracks) and the 5.1 mixes, this is still a great package - far more comprehensive than I would have ever expected to get for this band.

albertop

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I have Japanese CDs (flat transfers) of The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other, H To He Who Am The Only One, and Pawn Heart. They are okay, but a little bit dark, so far from ideal. My preference would be for new remasters, but I have to admit that also these new remixes (Killer, Arrow, Pilgrims and Refugees, single) are so good that they are putting the original mixes to shame.

Last edited:

Stephen W Tayler

QQ Supporter
Are there any details on the remastering of the original mixes? Are these the 2005 remasters or new remasters?
I can only consider the box set if the remasters are new (and well done).
All the originals have been remastered from the original tapes. I have not heard the final masters yet, but from my personal experience Ben Wiseman has always produced great results. All the original analogue tapes were transferred digitally at a very high resolution and quality, and a lot of thought and care has gone into the whole project.

albertop

300 Club - QQ All-Star
All the originals have been remastered from the original tapes. I have not heard the final masters yet, but from my personal experience Ben Wiseman has always produced great results. All the original analogue tapes were transferred digitally at a very high resolution and quality, and a lot of thought and care has gone into the whole project.
Thanks, Stephen.
I like Mr Wiseman's remasters of the Tangerine Dream catalogue. I think I'll have to get this box set as well :cool:

Lighthouse

Well the cheapest I have found this box set for me is from Amazon Uk for $169 including shipping and no tax so I have placed a pre order for now.......
still a hefty price but this is a huge box set........
Amazon.de lists it currently for 133 €, with free shipping at least within Germany.

I ordered it for 130 € some weeks ago.

I have the highest expectations for the set, even if I hoped for more completely new material. But the unreleased live concert from 1976 will be wonderful, the first full concert for the early years. I have 2 tracks in comparatively good quality (with some hiss), and they are amongst the best live performances of those 2 songs. The only setback is the needless re-release of the Rimini bootleg tracks. The sound quality won't get better, all fans have them already, and if they want to release lo-fi mono stuff from audience recordings, they could have found better material. But that's only 1 disc of 20. Oh well, and would have liked to have the good quality TV tracks also on a CD, not only on the Blu.

The released remixes so far are a pleasure

Last edited:

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Man, oh man...this release is killing me. GOS knee jerk reaction says 2 things. Just buy it now, don't fret about the price (a few bottles of wine equivelant). Come on, don't buy it....you're not even a fan really. (yet)

Regardless, in the event I don't buy it, I will regret it. lmao

himey

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Man, oh man...this release is killing me. GOS knee jerk reaction says 2 things. Just buy it now, don't fret about the price (a few bottles of wine equivelant). Come on, don't buy it....you're not even a fan really. (yet)

I upmixed the SACDs using SpecWeb and they sounded really great. If you can't get into Pawn Heart, certainly wait until the reviews of the mix quality.

Reactions: GOS

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter

Don't be static, spark up, you know you need Van Der Graaf Generator :rolleyes::oops: far more fun than a Leyden Jar!

Bill B

I've decided to hope that someday, in the not too distant future, they will release the surround mixes as stand-alone releases. If not then I will just have to suffer the consequences of being VDGG deficient. I just can't justify buying a set with so many discs that I will never listen to most of them. A set like that is for diehard fans only and I am not.

efb18

I've decided to hope that someday, in the not too distant future, they will release the surround mixes as stand-alone releases. If not then I will just have to suffer the consequences of being VDGG deficient. I just can't justify buying a set with so many discs that I will never listen to most of them. A set like that is for diehard fans only and I am not.
They are releasing the surround albums as standalone releases. On DVD rather than Blu-ray, though.

4-earredwonder

QQ Lifetime Supporter
QQ Lifetime Supporter
A rational approach, Bill. I'm not going to purchase this massive set either. I KNOW I'll never play all those RBCDs and a few years ago I did spring for 5 VDGG STEREO SHM~SACDs!

Last edited:

Bill B

They are releasing the surround albums as standalone releases. On DVD rather than Blu-ray, though.
Yeah, I know. I really wanted the blu-rays. I might break down and pick up one or two of the DVD sets (or maybe all of them eventually if I really like them), but I am definitely waiting for reviews from the QQers that pick them up before I buy anything. I am just sick of having to get a bunch of stuff that just sits on the shelf. If I don' t listen to the extra cds from Abbey Road or Wish You Were Here box sets (albums I love), why do I want all those extra cds for a band I barely know.

Scott M4

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Yeah, I know. I really wanted the blu-rays. I might break down and pick up one or two of the DVD sets (or maybe all of them eventually if I really like them), but I am definitely waiting for reviews from the QQers that pick them up before I buy anything. I am just sick of having to get a bunch of stuff that just sits on the shelf. If I don' t listen to the extra cds from Abbey Road or Wish You Were Here box sets (albums I love), why do I want all those extra cds for a band I barely know.
I recommend, at least, ripping the WYWH live disc for your phone. It’s really quite interesting and rewards repeat listens. Richard Wright does a lot of heavy lifting with his mini Moog, playing many of the guitar harmonies on the pre-Animals tracks. Gilmour plays more guitar parts too.