Van Halen Tokyo Dome - YEEEECH!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
This is probably one of the worst live albums I've ever heard. Bad sound - bad playing - TERRIBLE singing. I've heard tribute bands that were tighter. And Dave's voice is SHOT!!! And they call this the definitive live Van Halen album. Buyer Beware!!!

I saw the first tour they were the headline act, one of the worst sounding shows I've every seen, I'll never forgot as they came out on stage dave opened the show by telling the crowd how shit faced he was, and it went down hill from there.

I saw the first tour they were the headline act, one of the worst sounding shows I've every seen, I'll never forgot as they came out on stage dave opened the show by telling the crowd how shit faced he was, and it went down hill from there.

Wonderful....I think we all know Dave is washed up...though we wish he wasn't....dammit

washed up in like 79-80? , fact is they were piss tanks with no respect for the fans who paid hard earned cash. Don't get me wrong the records are good, I still play them, but they did suck live.
let me tell you another one. Aerosmith, headline act , acdc back up band, Bon Scott just kicks ass, then the toxic twins come out and the band is so wasted half the band start in playing on song while the other half tear into a different song, so they stop and start 2 or 3 times once they sort of get the shit happening then the gear starts to crap out. yep what a joke. I'll save the Bad Company original cat fight break up tour for another time

...then the toxic twins come out and the band is so wasted half the band start in playing on song while the other half tear into a different song, so they stop and start 2 or 3 times once they sort of get the shit happening then the gear starts to crap out. yep what a joke. I'll save the Bad Company original cat fight break up tour for another time
I've been to one and only one big time performance, RUSH in San Diego, must have been in the early '90s (could have been late 80's) and as a much younger fool. Ears ringing through the night and in the morning, never did that again. The memorable event was seeing a firecracker go off in front of me and not hearing it. They kept the performance together though.:) Edit: I now believe it was the Moving Pictures tour in the early eighties. Time Flies...

I saw Van Halen three times:
As warmup for Black Sabbath, 9/10/78 - excellent
Headlining with a band called Screams, 8/17/79 - excellent
On the "1980 Invasion" tour, 7/24/80 - they sucked

Or specifically, David Lee Roth blew the show by striking poses and not singing the songs. Having seen them twice already and loved them, I was so looking forward to the show, and after it was over I never went back. Pity. Was listening to a 1978 live recording today - once upon a time they were an exciting live act. Ruined by excessive ego.

Wonderful....I think we all know Dave is washed up...though we wish he wasn't....dammit

I hate to say it (I love the guy) but Diamond Dave really doesn't look too good at the moment :(

the on stage schtick etc is alive and well.. but he really looks like a dead man walking.. and the voice I agree with everyone it is sadly kaput.. I watched a couple of clips from their latest TV appearance and was in shock, Eddie looks great but DLR, wow.. he should pack it in and smell a few roses before it's too late.. tho it might be tricky with his newly broken schnozzle!

I hate to say it (I love the guy) but Diamond Dave really doesn't look too good at the moment :(

the on stage schtick etc is alive and well.. but he really looks like a dead man walking.. and the voice I agree with everyone it is sadly kaput.. I watched a couple of clips from their latest TV appearance and was in shock, Eddie looks great but DLR, wow.. he should pack it in and smell a few roses before it's too late.. tho it might be tricky with his newly broken schnozzle!

I'm a big Dave fan as well. I don't understand what has happened to him. OK, most of us assume the old Rockers partied too much. Something tells me Dave might have been a nerd and didn't continue partying into his later years.....I mean...I think the tabloids would have picked up on that. So, he seems fit....probably eats well.....so what's the problem?

I'm a big Dave fan as well. I don't understand what has happened to him. OK, most of us assume the old Rockers partied too much. Something tells me Dave might have been a nerd and didn't continue partying into his later years.....I mean...I think the tabloids would have picked up on that. So, he seems fit....probably eats well.....so what's the problem?

I don't know.. to paraphrase his own words he didn't burn his candle at both ends he took a flamethrower to it..!! :flame

the prospect of him having something like the big C scares the shit out of me (he's really one of my all-time musical heroes) it's not just that he's aged badly, he's not old after all, or that the partying's finally caught up with him.. but frankly he looks seriously unwell, gaunt in the face :(

I also wondered about his hearing.. not being on point and improvising lyrics has always been his thing live on stage but he's totally out of kilter with everything and every line seems like a real effort for him now..

I don't know.. to paraphrase his own words he didn't burn his candle at both ends he took a flamethrower to it..!! :flame

the prospect of him having something like the big C scares the shit out of me (he's really one of my all-time musical heroes) it's not just that he's aged badly, he's not old after all, or that the partying's finally caught up with him.. but frankly he looks seriously unwell, gaunt in the face :(

I also wondered about his hearing.. not being on point and improvising lyrics has always been his thing live on stage but he's totally out of kilter with everything and every line seems like a real effort for him now..

I agree...he just doesn't look that well. I know exactly what you mean...plus he doesn't quite act right...(not that he ever did). I dunno.

the only time I ever saw VH live was in the Spectrum -on the "Diver Down" tour.....
that was when I found out Dave did NOT sing live...he was just the frontman....
Mind you, the band were SMOKIN' HOT!!!!!
But Dave just basically spoke out the lyrics...
And it was the BIGGEST PARTY I ever went to (I said it before)...wow!

Now, VH without Michael Anthony will NEVER sound the same- Wolfie may be a "better musician", but he can't hit the notes MA dis and with that GREAT voice....
ALL of the recordings (early concerts, like the one in Ipswich , UK) of VH live I've heard are basically the same- Dave yapping and doing his schtick and Eddie and Mike doing some of the finest backing vocals EVER!!!

They are NOT a live band..they USED to put on a great show back in the early 80's, and somehow Dave sounded GREAT in the studio when they did the "almost reunion" almost 20 years ago-but I have NEVER heard him actually SING during a show....

Fuggeddaboudit!!!!
You're better off watching some old videos in utube

the only time I ever saw VH live was in the Spectrum -on the "Diver Down" tour.....
that was when I found out Dave did NOT sing live...he was just the frontman....
Mind you, the band were SMOKIN' HOT!!!!!
But Dave just basically spoke out the lyrics...
And it was the BIGGEST PARTY I ever went to (I said it before)...wow!

Now, VH without Michael Anthony will NEVER sound the same- Wolfie may be a "better musician", but he can't hit the notes MA dis and with that GREAT voice....
ALL of the recordings (early concerts, like the one in Ipswich , UK) of VH live I've heard are basically the same- Dave yapping and doing his schtick and Eddie and Mike doing some of the finest backing vocals EVER!!!

They are NOT a live band..they USED to put on a great show back in the early 80's, and somehow Dave sounded GREAT in the studio when they did the "almost reunion" almost 20 years ago-but I have NEVER heard him actually SING during a show....

Fuggeddaboudit!!!!
You're better off watching some old videos in utube

Well, to throw some confusion to the fire.....I never saw VH back when Dave was up front...but I did see Dave solo during his Eat Em And Smile tour. And, actually, we had superior seats off to the left of the stage 4 rows back. I mean...killer seats.

Let me tell you - Dave was 100% a killer showman and his voice was top notch. Seriously! Every song was just blowing me away. I'd honestly not heard too many concerts where I was so blown away as this one.

Well, to throw some confusion to the fire.....I never saw VH back when Dave was up front...but I did see Dave solo during his Eat Em And Smile tour. And, actually, we had superior seats off to the left of the stage 4 rows back. I mean...killer seats.

Let me tell you - Dave was 100% a killer showman and his voice was top notch. Seriously! Every song was just blowing me away. I'd honestly not heard too many concerts where I was so blown away as this one.

...hmm, interesting that you should bring that up.. I saw that tour too and , you are absolutely right...he was singing because, perhaps..he was the main attraction....don't get me wrong, it was a totally different show..Vai and Sheehan muting each other's strings so they could start soloing were GREAT MOMENTS...and yes, Dave's voice was better and he DID sing...awesome show!!!!

...hmm, interesting that you should bring that up.. I saw that tour too and , you are absolutely right...he was singing because, perhaps..he was the main attraction....don't get me wrong, it was a totally different show..Vai and Sheehan muting each other's strings so they could start soloing were GREAT MOMENTS...and yes, Dave's voice was better and he DID sing...awesome show!!!!

Cool - I'll never forget the show.....Dave rode in on some sort of box...that rode above the crowd. I can't explain it....but the box sort of exploded and he dropped out of it into the crowd. It was just over the top.

Back