Vinyl to DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selder

I have 200 albums I would like to transfer to cd or ideally dvd-a is that possible? If so what hardware would I need? I have a turntable, pioneer vsx-39tx elite receiver and an HP multimedia computer w/ dvd/cd writer.

If you can output the audio from the receiver to your PC through a sound card to get the audio onto your PC as a wav file, you are in good shape. There are many programs that you can use to record music to your PC.

One you have it there, as a stereo WAV file, you would need either DiscWelder Bronze ($99) or WaveLab 5 ($400 or so) to turn these into a DVD-A.

If you want to "clean" the wav files up (i.e. remove pops and ticks, NR, etc), you would need a program that can modify the original wav files and do this. I use Sound Forge or Adobe Audiotion (formerly Cool Edit Pro) for this.

If you want to record discrete QUAD material, you would need a multichannel sound card and software that will record 4, 5, or 6 channels at the same time in sync. For this I use Vegas 5.0, a program from the same company that makes Sound Forge, which is now SONY! (Formerly Sonic Foundry)

What Jon said - with the extra info that if you are using WaveLab, then you can also declick & denoise from there too.
Also, with DVD-A you have the option to use from 16/44.1 up to 24/96 for stereo files.
A problem with using Bronze is that you will be limited to a single group of files. This can contain up to 99 tracks, but Steel or WaveLab will give you access to all 9 available groups which means that you can use 16/44.1 as your bit depth & sample rate, and have a separate group for each album.
Using 16/44.1 you should be able to fit up to 6 hours of playing time, which means that 9 albums per DVD should easily be accomplished. Which is where having access to all 9 groups will come in very handy.

Another possibility, although at reduced quality, is to use DVD-Video as your format and encode the Audio to Dolby Digital Stereo which will give you an immense amount of music on a single disc, plus it will play in every DVD player. (You do not mention what dvd player you have, and not all can play DVD-Audio by any stretch of the imagination)
Using Dolby Digital, most people cannot actually tell the difference between DD and CD - although you can if you know what to listen for - and the DVD-V format gives you many more options for playback control and menu design.

However - you'll certainly have a lot of fun doing this, and there is always help available in the DVD-A workshop if you get stuck.

Lots of luck.

Back