Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone, new member from British Columbia, Canada. I've been reading the forum for many years now. I would like to acknowledge all the useful information, tips and recommendations.
I have a suggestion for @Paul SDE for Atmos Blu-Ray. Super excited to be part of this wonderful community.
Cheers.
Phil

Hey all. Brand new member here. I've been a huge surround music fan for years and I'll be working on my own 5.1 mix for the latest album of my studio recording band Look To Windward later this year. Thought I'd join to get tips and feedback as I go. Greetings!
Some Look To Windward:

Hey all. Brand new member here. I've been a huge surround music fan for years and I'll be working on my own 5.1 mix for the latest album of my studio recording band Look To Windward later this year. Thought I'd join to get tips and feedback as I go. Greetings!
Some Look To Windward:

That sounds pretty great! Can't wait to see what you can do with a 5.1 mix.

Hello All,
Another new guy here. I found the site through references to it on the YouTube channel “Life In Surround”.

I’ve been an SACD guy for about 10 or so years now but just recently found a used Oppo player and have investing more into new titles.

So coming from a collection of primarily jazz… My favorite at this time has to be my most recent acquisition of the Japanese 7” Bitches Brew. No other sound disc has blown my mind like this album and the presentation on this disc is beautiful as well.

I hope to learn a lot from you guys!
Cheers!

This thread replaces the old "New Members Only!! (Members who have never posted)" thread, which got to be a little on the LARGE side!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...bers-only-members-who-have-never-posted.2843/
Sold all my equipment and music collection in 2019 to prepare to sell house and move. Been listening to mono wireless speakers or headphones only. Streaming, then buying MP3s when streaming subscriptions seemed too expensive when totaled over years.

Bought Dirac Virtuo headphones to try to make it more stereo-like. Then bought a second wireless speaker and listened to stereo…better than the Dirac headphones and easy to put them away when I don’t want the speakers out in plain sight. I am interested in doing the same with a quad set up, using 4 wireless speakers so I can set up, take down, and set up in a new location easily. A moveable feast, right?

I have read Involve Audio‘s “manifesto” and it sounds wise to me: Exploit the existing ambience in stereo, decode matrix when possible, avoid over complication. If I love the ambience of stereo, won’t I love stereo with ambience recovery, too? I hope so and that is why I enrolled in this forum. I hope to learn how to enjoy 4 speakers (ambience recovery or matrix) and how to avoid pitfalls. Wish me luck.

This thread replaces the old "New Members Only!! (Members who have never posted)" thread, which got to be a little on the LARGE side!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...bers-only-members-who-have-never-posted.2843/
Hello, I am EJ3
In the early 70's I had a Toshiba SQ Quad system. I also have several of those LP's.
Currently I have a way to do Quad with 2 APT/Holman Preamps (one of which was tested by Audio Science Review (Apt Holman Preamplifier (vintage audio)

Quadraphonic Synthesis

With two Holman Preamplifiers, you can synthesis and control four output channels from just two input channels.

Apply all your inputs to the first Holman Preamplifier. Use it for all your tone controls, filters and source and tape selections. Leave its Stereo Mode in Stereo.

Connect the first Holman Preamplifier's MAIN 1 output to one power amplifier and your two front speakers.

Connect the first Holman Preamplifier's MAIN 2 output to any line-level input of the second Holman Preamplifier.

Connect the second Holman Preamplifier's MAIN 1 output to the power amplifier for your two rear speakers.

Rotate the second Holman Preamplifier's stereo mode control to L-R, and start by setting it to about unity gain or a bit less, and keep its tone controls flat. The tone and filter settings of the first Holman Preamplifier are fed automatically to the second Holman Preamplifier.

Set balance on the first preamp. Set front-rear balance on the Volume control of the second preamp.

Leave the power switch of the second preamp ON, and plug its power cord into a switched outlet of the first Holman Preamplifier. Now the power is controlled by the first Holman Preamplifier, too.

And I have moved to a new (to me) 1100 sq. ft. 1968 home that I am restoring. I currently do not stream (maybe I will one day), and will initially set up my system as stereo. But at some point next year (the budget is very tight right now (& I was just in a major car accident, through no fault of my own that had me T-Boning them at 40+ MPH because they made a left turn in front of me. I am very fortunate that the airbags did not deploy and blow out my hearing, but I have a lot of what they call "soft tissue damage" and am requiring a lot of Physical Therapy. I was laid off a few weeks before this [I have savings, etc] but it makes it difficult to progress on the house). So it will be certainly after January before I can get back into Quad.
In addition, I have 6 NAD 2200's (See a review of one of mine in Audio Science Review under NAD 2200 vintage review), 3 Dahlquist 905 speakers (the 4 has water damage due to a salt water flooding (I need a new cab but may just find another pair) none of the inside components got wet and I was able to save them & clean them up) and a pair of custom subwoofers.
Very recently I heard about the SCHIIT SYN, which has tweaked my interest in QUAD again (not that it ever really went away).So here I am, looking to assemble a quad system in the first quarter of 2024.

Hello, I am EJ3
In the early 70's I had a Toshiba SQ Quad system. I also have several of those LP's.
Currently I have a way to do Quad with 2 APT/Holman Preamps (one of which was tested by Audio Science Review (Apt Holman Preamplifier (vintage audio)

Quadraphonic Synthesis

With two Holman Preamplifiers, you can synthesis and control four output channels from just two input channels.

Apply all your inputs to the first Holman Preamplifier. Use it for all your tone controls, filters and source and tape selections. Leave its Stereo Mode in Stereo.

Connect the first Holman Preamplifier's MAIN 1 output to one power amplifier and your two front speakers.

Connect the first Holman Preamplifier's MAIN 2 output to any line-level input of the second Holman Preamplifier.

Connect the second Holman Preamplifier's MAIN 1 output to the power amplifier for your two rear speakers.

Rotate the second Holman Preamplifier's stereo mode control to L-R, and start by setting it to about unity gain or a bit less, and keep its tone controls flat. The tone and filter settings of the first Holman Preamplifier are fed automatically to the second Holman Preamplifier.

Set balance on the first preamp. Set front-rear balance on the Volume control of the second preamp.

Leave the power switch of the second preamp ON, and plug its power cord into a switched outlet of the first Holman Preamplifier. Now the power is controlled by the first Holman Preamplifier, too.

And I have moved to a new (to me) 1100 sq. ft. 1968 home that I am restoring. I currently do not stream (maybe I will one day), and will initially set up my system as stereo. But at some point next year (the budget is very tight right now (& I was just in a major car accident, through no fault of my own that had me T-Boning them at 40+ MPH because they made a left turn in front of me. I am very fortunate that the airbags did not deploy and blow out my hearing, but I have a lot of what they call "soft tissue damage" and am requiring a lot of Physical Therapy. I was laid off a few weeks before this [I have savings, etc] but it makes it difficult to progress on the house). So it will be certainly after January before I can get back into Quad.
In addition, I have 6 NAD 2200's (See a review of one of mine in Audio Science Review under NAD 2200 vintage review), 3 Dahlquist 905 speakers (the 4 has water damage due to a salt water flooding (I need a new cab but may just find another pair) none of the inside components got wet and I was able to save them & clean them up) and a pair of custom subwoofers.
Very recently I heard about the SCHIIT SYN, which has tweaked my interest in QUAD again (not that it ever really went away).So here I am, looking to assemble a quad system in the first quarter of 2024.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck; all the best to you going forward!

I’d recommend an Involve Surround Master v3, pretty sure it’ll beat that Shiit by a wide margin.

Hello! I've been into Quad since its inception with an Electro Voice EV-4 decoder and a Pioneer amp and a Realistic receiver. Now it has evolved into an Involve decoder and 2 DBX CX-2 preamps / 2 SAE 2200 / 4 JBL L-100. Many sources and quad EQ / 3BX-DS. The CX-2s were needed for the system requirements. I have been repairing audio since 1977 and was a tech at Pioneer. I was working on Pioneer Quads under warranty!

Hello! I've been into Quad since its inception with an Electro Voice EV-4 decoder and a Pioneer amp and a Realistic receiver. Now it has evolved into an Involve decoder and 2 DBX CX-2 preamps / 2 SAE 2200 / 4 JBL L-100. Many sources and quad EQ / 3BX-DS. The CX-2s were needed for the system requirements. I have been repairing audio since 1977 and was a tech at Pioneer. I was working on Pioneer Quads under warranty!
Welcome!
Lots of vintage Quad enthusiasts here, myself included.

I could interject a cliché joke here, but instead I’ll take the high road and show the way to the entire Involve Sub-forum; before the Schiit hits the fan.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forums/involve-audio-creators-of-the-surround-master.177/
Good point Pup. The Schiit product is less expensive but the Surround Master is in another league. IOW, you get what you pay for. AND, by audiophile standards the SM is not a high priced item. In fairness to Schiit Audio, their product is for people who want to dip their toes in the water; the SM is selling to a different and much more particular slice of the market.

Arf!
A peer teen neighbor tried to pull off a "quad" setup in his Mom's basement in the mid-'70s. Pretty sure it was just 2 left-channel speakers with 2 right-channel speakers. His demo was Funeral for a Friend. Sounded pretty good but it was not quad. I eventually forayed into home theater, and for me it didn't take very long to realize most movies are just not all that good or interesting. AV forums are full of people investing in substantial sums to play short mind-blowing movie action scenes to impress friends and family. And that was something I emulated for a while. A fave scene I most enjoy is from a Die Hard flick with a Harrier jet circa 2012. Bought my first audio-only surround discs in 2015 or so (Marley Legend, Beck Sea Change, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road). I later bought a few more without doing much research, and these were nowhere near as good as my first batch. Probably found this place some years ago and got better edjamuhcated on quality mixes. Been buying a lot recently and very grateful for this place turning me onto Dutton Localion.

Some Look To Windward:

Nice and proggy! Right up my alley. Love the riff at about 4:42. Can't wait to hear more!

Welcome aboard! You could buy some pretty great stuff, often still in print and not for too crazy money OOP in 2015. For many of us here it’s Dutton Avocation. 😉
100%! I thought I'd be scarfing up dozens after this buy, but nooooooo..... I became gobsmacked when Moondance leapt to $80. Nope. But I dropped the $50ish for Bitches Brew recently. Should've bought Moondance back then ;o)

great deal on 2 great surround music discs - Marley Legend+Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - $13.98 ...JPG

Last edited:
Some Look To Windward:

Intriguing sound there! There are a handful of people here who mix their own and other people’s music, both professionally and for fun, so I’m sure you won’t have any trouble finding a mentor or two here. I’m looking forward to more.

p.s., the visuals are pretty cool, too.

Hello, I am EJ3

Quadraphonic Synthesis

Looks like you’ve had a tough time lately. In your shoes, I wouldn’t prioritize audiophilia, but I’m not you. It sounds like you have a platefull of projects that will keep you busy for a few years anyway, so hang in there, have fun, and stay in touch.

Back