Went into a Best Buy...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please keep the discussion focused on the topic. Kindly restrict the chatter to PM's.

Best Buy doesn't exist as far as we're concerned!! There are 3 or 4 of them within 10 miles from our home. Closest is three miles.

25 miles away is a wonderland of electronics, appliances and more. @Bob Romano can attest to this. Abt in Glenview, IL. In business since 1936. No software. One store, larger than a Super Target:

https://www.abt.com/help/galleries
What they sell, service, inventory, install and display:

https://www.abt.com/brands
They do phone sales, on line and have a whopper of a store. Friendly and knowledgeable. A refreshing change from the arrogant, surly treatment from many audiophile firms.

McIntosh, Marantz, Sub-Zero, Bosch and more.

Our last purchases were a Whirlpool washer and 2 Polk S10 speakers, all for laundry room. And an upgraded 12" Polk sub for the bedroom.

Our fridge had an issue with door handle. It was under warranty. We didn't bother with a service call. We picked up a new handle IN STOCK at Abt.

Quad Linda,

Im going on a road trip to ABT sometime soon. The local AV store I frequent, is a bit smaller. The sales and service are exceptional. I’ve known the owner for over 40 years as he worked for both The Sound Room and Classic Stereo back in the day.

Kazoo Audio

The most recent purchase was a turntable to replace my old Technics “Close n Play“ unit. I should have replaced the SL-5 years ago. The new unit was properly calibrated prior to taking it home. I’m happy with the level of personalized service.

Ken

Please keep the discussion focused on the topic. Kindly restrict the chatter to PM's.
Noted. But I must say that I watched those Bills / Jags highlights on a Sony 4k TV that I bought on a whim when I was in a Best Buy.

We ‘needed‘ another TV, and I saw this Sony 49” on display. They were bombing them out at half price, so I jumped on it.

I guess they have good deals, sometimes. You‘ve got to be careful as their in-store prices can be higher than their on-line price.

Best Buy doesn't exist as far as we're concerned!! There are 3 or 4 of them within 10 miles from our home. Closest is three miles.

25 miles away is a wonderland of electronics, appliances and more. @Bob Romano can attest to this. Abt in Glenview, IL. In business since 1936. No software. One store, larger than a Super Target:

They do phone sales, on line and have a whopper of a store. Friendly and knowledgeable. A refreshing change from the arrogant, surly treatment from many audiophile firms.

Our last purchases were a Whirlpool washer and 2 Polk S10 speakers, all for laundry room. And an upgraded 12" Polk sub for the bedroom.

Our fridge had an issue with door handle. It was under warranty. We didn't bother with a service call. We picked up a new handle IN STOCK at Abt.
Ahhhh ABT. It make Best Buy look like the electronics section at Target. I miss ABT now being in Vegas. Room after room after room of the coolest stuff and beautiful setups with sales people who know their stuff. And not afraid to deal. I called there once about a receiver. It was on sale at Best Buy but I wanted to see if ABT would match the price. They did and beat it by $25. Probably the biggest and best electronics superstore EVER. Back when they were a thing, I saw my first 80" rear projection Mitshbishi TV. I almost dropped to my knees. We don't have anything like that out here. I did mention to my wife the other day... Remember how often we used to go to BB and we haven't been in one for months thanks to Amazon now.

Looks like Best Buy is getting out of selling physical media for good. Sign of the times:

I remember Target having a bargain bin of mostly blu-ray discs where you could get stuff for under $5. You had to pick through a bunch of crap to find good stuff, but I always pulled out a couple of gems. Then it vanished. We collectors are a dying breed, and this is just one more cut. Fortunately, we’re active enough to keep suppliers like Dutton, SDE, and Rhino in business. For now.

Post edited.
Hmm. Wish I had known about ABT when i bought my last AVR.

Quad Linda,

Im going on a road trip to ABT sometime soon. The local AV store I frequent, is a bit smaller. The sales and service are exceptional. I’ve known the owner for over 40 years as he worked for both The Sound Room and Classic Stereo back in the day.

Kazoo Audio

The most recent purchase was a turntable to replace my old Technics “Close n Play“ unit. I should have replaced the SL-5 years ago. The new unit was properly calibrated prior to taking it home. I’m happy with the level of personalized service.

Ken
The Sound Room! In 1974 as a High School senior I hit the SR and Lafayette Electronics weekly to ogle the gear. I bought my first component system at The Sound Room and took some evening educational classes. This experience helped me decide on a career in electrical engineering. Small world!

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/03/business/best-buy-fitness-electric-bikes-outdoor-grills/index.html
18 month old info, I bought 2 of 3 receivers from BB, the most recent from Amazon though, I bought about 1/2 of the 1st 10 Star Trek movies on UHD Blu-ray from BB recently (the rest from Amazon).

Sometimes, while wandering through the disc section at BB, I see a movie on UHD Blu-ray that I buy (Dr. Strangelove, Blade Runner, Flash Gordon, Thor come to mind), I usually wait and order a few movies via Amazon to get above the $35 free shipping threshold.

Kirk Bayne

What about Target? I haven't heard anything about them discontinuing Blu-ray and DVD.
Can’t say about where you live, but I haven’t seen any discs for sale in Target for five or six years, and I’ve moved across the US in that time.

Just because of this thread I went into a BB yesterday, first time in years. No CD's or Blu-rays, but the had LP's aplenty! For Christmas several years ago my son in law bought me the sound track to Guardians of the Galaxy #2. They were phasing out CD's at that point & he said the racks were practically bare.

At our close by Target they still have about the same amount of CD's/video they always had. But they have added added an LP selection.

Since they were one of the big stores that helped take out the smaller ma & pa record and video stores, will this possibly spark a come back for smaller retailers?
Probably wishful thinking.

Back