What are your FAVORITE MUSIC documentaries?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beatles Anthology
Still Bill
Steely Dan - Aja Classic Album
Syd Barrett - Omnibus
Can't You Hear the Wind Howl? The Life & Music of Robert Johnson

As to the last one, It's so short that I keep watching it over and over hoping there'll be something more (probably the Steely too). I could do with seeing a lot more of Johnny Shines too. A true gentleman much like Bill Withers

Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)?

WIHN.jpg

Mine is this truly remarkable 1965 BBC documentary on the ground breaking first stereo recording by Georg Solti of the Ring cycle:

scan001.jpg

Not only is it a fascinating story of a project that nearly bankrupt a record company but is in itself a pioneering work of television being one of the earliest examples of the ‘fly on the wall’ style of film making.

I was listening to some early Ministry (1986) and Al was placing certain sounds in each stereo speaker. It was very clear and concise. Not saying that was the first use of surround (we all know that's not true) but knowing Al he didn't really follow trends so even it he had heard it before I doubt he would try to copy that consciously.

Just wanted to say that's how a true surround fan (like Al) and I hears music.

I have 100s of music docs, some are great, some terrible
From the top of my head I like:
Captain Beefheart Doco
Ghost Blues - Rory Gallagher
The Syd Barrett Story Doco
The recent Elvis Presley doco
I enjoyed the recent David Crosby doco a lot

There are many good ones

Back