What are your top ten (10) multi-channel music discs of all time?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
!t'ndah I - but you're right, it is... Sadly, it's the same MGM DVD aspect ratio hatchet job - academy to widescreen - splicing and dicing Ron Fricke's superb camerawork, e.g. removing the top and bottom of the Grand Canyon. [sighs] I long for a release in the correct ratio like the VHS tape copy I still keep for this very reason - despite its poorer audio. Thanks for the link though. I could watch that spiralling rocket debris all day long, going up or down!

At least we've got the blu ray :)

This will be my top 10 "High Res." list.
There are many old quads. that would supercede these if they were released on high resolution format.

1. Return to Forever - Musicmagic Quad. SACD
2. Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls 5.1 SACD
3. Billy Cobham - Spectrum Quad. SACD
4. Kraftwerk - Minimum Maximum 5.1 SACD
5. Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream 5.1 DVD-A
6. ILS - Soul Trader 5.1 DVD-A
7. Talking Heads - Remain in Light - DVD-A
8. David Bowie - Heathen 5.1 SACD
9. Beatles - Abbey Road 5.1 Blu-ray
10. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon Quad. Blu-ray

Number 9 & 10 get marked down for radio burnout.
Heathen gets marked down because It's so freakin loud.

Last edited:
9. Beatles - Abbey Road 5.1 Blu-ray
10. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon Quad. Blu-ray

Number 9 & 10 get marked down for radio burnout.
I rarely hear most tracks of "Abbey Road" or "Dark Side of the Moon" on the radio. Is your burnout a continuation of AOR radio having overplayed whole sides in the 70s?

... or do you have awesome radio stations around you still playing whole albums?

I kinda' miss that, although... I guess at this point, I only listen to a whole album if it's in surround.

It's funny...for me....I have complete and total burnout on Dark Side. I mean, I can hardly listen to it at all. Abbey Road on the other hand.....to my ears, sounds as fresh as the first time I heard it. Not sure why I have that feeling.
How many times did you listen to Dark Side of the Moon on your own? I'm a complete Beatles freak, but I think I've listened to that Floyd album in its entirety way more than "Abbey Road". You know, with headphones in a dark room!

Also, maybe "Money" alone, being a vastly overplayed novelty song, brought down the whole album for you? Um... I actually usually skip that song on album listens, as it seems out-of-place to the holy gestalt of the concept album.

Yikes, I think I'm going to incur an angry wrath for that statement.

It's funny...for me....I have complete and total burnout on Dark Side. I mean, I can hardly listen to it at all. Abbey Road on the other hand.....to my ears, sounds as fresh as the first time I heard it. Not sure why I have that feeling.
Understandable. I have the same feeling about several albums. A few are on my Top 10 MC list.

How many times did you listen to Dark Side of the Moon on your own? I'm a complete Beatles freak, but I think I've listened to that Floyd album in its entirety way more than "Abbey Road". You know, with headphones in a dark room!

Also, maybe "Money" alone, being a vastly overplayed novelty song, brought down the whole album for you? Um... I actually usually skip that song on album listens, as it seems out-of-place to the holy gestalt of the concept album.

Yikes, I think I'm going to incur an angry wrath for that statement.
Yeah. I think another thing about Dark Side is, we continue to hear iterations of some songs due to the fact that individual members of PF are still very active and so we get constant reminder of that album. Abbey Road? Hardly at all......as far as I can tell.

I rarely hear most tracks of "Abbey Road" or "Dark Side of the Moon" on the radio. Is your burnout a continuation of AOR radio having overplayed whole sides in the 70s?

... or do you have awesome radio stations around you still playing whole albums?

I kinda' miss that, although... I guess at this point, I only listen to a whole album if it's in surround.
Don't underestimate the damage that overplaying can do. I couldn't listen to Led Zeppelin for over 30 years because of the massive overplaying by radio and literally every dorm room I'd walk in to was playing them. 🙉

I've been lucky...in some respects...I'm not burnt out on some of the iconic songs/albums...because after the 60's and 70's(my prime music period) I didn't keep listening to those songs...I moved on...but I have encountered another problem regarding some of the iconic songs....they no longer resonate with me...a prime example is Animals..."back in the day" I loved that album..now...it just sounds stupid to me.. laughable even...I don't know what you call that...maturity?...evolution?...I don't know...over the years there has been fluctuation in my musical tastes...my one constant has been rock...and soul(not rap or hippity hop)and there was a period of jazz(especially during my laser disc period)and even disco...I have never liked country...but there are some exceptions in there....people like Johnny Cash(which I feel is in his own category)….

In regards to the Dark Side(not the force)...I had to be in the "mood" for those songs...I couldn't just listen to them...the setting had to be right...if not the effect was lost...now other Pink Floyd individual songs are different....I could listen to songs like Learning To Fly anytime...

1. Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize
2. Steven Wilson - Home Invasion
3. Art Garfunkel - Breakaway

Sorry, headed offsite for work. Since concert types are allowed, for me, that changes everything. I have ALWAYS loved to watch and listen. The art of the performance (visually) always keeps my attention much longer than staring at the wall while listening to a disc.

So, in terms of massive enjoyment I get, heavy rotation, never get bored of....these 3 came to my mind nearly instantly. I'll update my list with another 7 later in the day.

Hint - there will certainly be an Elton John, most likely some form of Pink Floyd, maybe even a Metallica. :)
Seeing Porcupine Tree and Art Garfunkel mentioned in the same list makes me giggle a bit. It just goes to show how people's musical tastes can run the gamut. Bravo!

(Now it's got me thinking of a Wilson/Garfunkel collaboration. I wonder how THAT would go? Shades of a Rick Rubin/Johnny Cash resurrection? I have the feeling Wilson worships him and Artie would have no idea who the eff he is.)

Last edited:
Seeing Porcupine Tree and Art Garfunkel mentioned in the same list makes me giggle a bit. It just goes to show how people's musical tastes can run the gamut. Bravo!

(Now it's got me thinking of a Wilson/Garfunkel collaboration. I wonder how THAT would go? Shades of a Rick Rubin/Johnny Cash resurrection?)

Giggle indeed...your lordship:cool:..Gos is a real renaissance man

These are the titles I always come back to for repeated listening.

10. Yes Fragile (blu-Ray)
9. Tears For Tears - Songs From The Big Chair
8. The Who - Quadrophenia (blu-Ray)
7. Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky
6. Richard Thompson - Rumor And Sigh
5. Donald Fagen - The Nightfly (DVD-A)
4. America - Homecoming (DVD-A)
3. Roxy Music - Avalon
2. Jethro Tull - Aqualung (blu-Ray)
1. Pink Floyd - DSOTM (quad mix blu-Ray)

And one for good measure,
Grover Washington Jr. - Winelight

These are the titles I always come back to for repeated listening.

10. Yes Fragile (blu-Ray)
9. Tears For Tears - Songs From The Big Chair
8. The Who - Quadrophenia (blu-Ray)
7. Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky
6. Richard Thompson - Rumor And Sigh
5. Donald Fagen - The Nightfly (DVD-A)
4. America - Homecoming (DVD-A)
3. Roxy Music - Avalon
2. Jethro Tull - Aqualung (blu-Ray)
1. Pink Floyd - DSOTM (quad mix blu-Ray)

And one for good measure,
Grover Washington Jr. - Winelight
Interesting how the America title slipped into you list...given the other albums. Actually, it should have made an honorable mention on mine.

... Since concert types are allowed, for me, that changes everything. I have ALWAYS loved to watch and listen. The art of the performance (visually) always keeps my attention much longer than staring at the wall while listening to a disc.
GOS you instigator! ;) With this bug in my head, I went and watched most of the performances on Hell Freezes Over. Talk about a tight sounding band! And the Scheiner MC mix is stellar. Then it was a couple of Moody Blues tracks from The Royal Albert Hall...with full orchestra. Finally a bunch of tracks from Black and White Night. The Eagles and Roy Orbison videos would definitely make my top 10 list of music videos. (OK, so what if I only have about 10 total :D)

Back