What are your top ten (10) multi-channel music discs of all time?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it is time for my top 10 and it is based solely on what I play most often
1: Tomita- Clair De Lune SACD
2: Pink Floyd- Deviation 1970 BR
3: Chet Atkins- Superpickers SACD
4: Weather Report- Tale Spinnin' SACD
5: Allman Brothers-Idlewilde South BR
6: Grover Washington Jr.-Winelight SACD
7: Dan Fagen-Nightfly DVDA
8: Tomita- Space Fantasy SACD
9: Peter Uglas- Autumn Shuffle SACD
10: Hugo Montenegro- Love Theme From The Godfather SACD

Yes heavy on instrumentals!

Last edited:
10. Switched On Bach by Walter Carlos (SQ LP)
9. Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd (SACD)
8. Fragile by Yes (SACD)
7. Touch by Morton Subotnick (SQ LP)
6. Abraxas by Santana (SACD)
5. Tapestry by Carole King (SACD)
4. Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys (DVD-A)
3. Days of Future Passed by The Moody Blues (SACD)
2. War of the Worlds by Jeff Wayne (SACD and Blu-ray)
1. Holst's The Planets by NY Phil led by Leonard Bernstein (SQ LP and SACD)
Abraxas is a great album but there's no quad or 5.1 SACD that I'm aware of.

Last edited:
Well it is time for my top 10 and it is based solely on what I play most often
1: Tomita- Clair De Lune SACD
2: Pink Floyd- Deviation 1970 BR
3: Chet Atkins- Superpickers SACD
4: Weather Report- Night Passage SACD
5: Allman Brothers-Idlewilde South BR
6: Grover Washington Jr.-Winelight SACD
7: Dan Fagen-Nightfly DVDA
8: Tomita- Space Fantasy SACD
9: Peter Uglas- Autumn Shuffle SACD
10: Hugo Montenegro- Love Theme From The Godfather SACD
Yes heavy on instrumentals!
Weather Report - Night Passage. A great album but there's no quad or 5.1 SACD that I'm aware of.

Their is Santana Abraxas in Quad /SQ on vinyl ,I am listening to it right now as I am typing ,outstanding 4 channel sound ,very well put together and still some on E Bay that are in pretty good shape , I purchased mine for under $25.00.

Well here's my most often played.
1 Pink Floyd DSOTM DVD
2 Dire Straits Brothers in Arms
3 Fleetwood Mac Rumors
4 Porcupine Tree Fear of a Blank Planet.
5 Doobie Bros. Captain and Me
6 Doobie Bros What Were Once Vices.
7 Ten Years After A space in Time.
8 Black Sabbath Paranoid.
9 Eagles Hell Freezes Over
10 BTO Not Fragile.

My mistake. It's DTS.
Abraxas0001.jpg

Any ideas of where I can find that Tom Petty Anthology Blu-ray (the only part of the set I want) without having to sell a kidney?

Since its initial stereo release on vinyl, Abraxas has been one of my all-time favourites. The DTS CD I bought was immediately disappointing. The 5.1 mix didn't seem at all intent on recreating the original character, especially with regard to matching reverb and presence. David Frangioni missed an opportunity.

IMG_9390.jpg

I have been listening to multi-channel less than a year, although collecting since the 40th Anniversary Anniversary King Crimson releases started.
Everything is a revelation to me so my top 10 changes with every purchase.
  • The Dukes Of Stratosphear Psurroundabout Ride. (Not even a genre I enjoy but the mix is so infectious that I find I listen to it frequently)
  • Queen Greatest Video Hits (yes I wish I had actual albums, but as mentioned all over the site, this is a great audio)
  • Opeth Deliverance & Damnation
  • Ayreon The Source
  • Chicago Quadio, Chicago if I need to pick a single album.
  • King Crimson Red
  • Jethro Tull Aqualung
  • Marillion Brave
  • Tears For Fears Songs From The Big Chair
  • Yes Close To The Edge

Last edited:
Any ideas of where I can find that Tom Petty Anthology Blu-ray (the only part of the set I want) without having to sell a kidney?
Kidney prices are a relative item, just depends, here’s some
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers* - The Live Anthology, I believe I got one used in excellent cond. several years ago off eBay (pictures help) for around $70, couldn’t order it fast enough :dance

Looks like low $200’s is about the cheapest now & make sure it’s got the Blu-ray in it with surround. A beautiful box set (and I typically loathe box sets!)
* Edit, of course if you only want the BD out of it, you might get lucky and find one 🤔

I am far from my collection right now, and the list changes with my mood in any case, but here are some of my favorites that I can recall. These are in no particular order and are either blu ray, SACD or DVD-Audio. And yes I am going to slaughter the titles but hopefully not beyond recognition!

1. Depeche Mode. ”Violator” and “Music for the Masses.” But in reality most of the DM releases are very well done.
2. Elton John: “Honky Chateau” and “Goodbye YBR” are great to me.
3. Jazz titles I like: Chesky released a “Best of NY Jazz” several years ago, a live setup with a simple but high quality recording chain. Gene Harris Quartet: ”Listen Here!” Or something like that. Brubeck’s “Time Out” and the live one he did somehwhere in New England - the recording actually picked up the sound of crickets chirping at the venue. They are very subtle but I can occasionally pick them out.
4. Classical titles - there are a lot of them, and many are well done. There is an RCA Living Stereo recording of Billy the Kid which I recommend. Even though I like a lot of Copeland, I think the performance on this one is outstanding and the fact that it was recorded 60 years ago just blows me away. Another I like which was recently recorded is ”Lost Voices of the Hagia Sophia“ by Capella Romana (or maybe Romano?) which is an Atmos/Surround recording of Byzantine Chants in a digital acoustical replication of the famous Hagia Sophia church in Istanbul, which was the seat or religion in the Byzantine Empire.
5. More popular: anything Talking Heads, Dutton Vocalion has released some I think are great, e.g. All the ones by Garfunkel, BW Stevens, Earth Wind and Fire. More that I can’t remember. Mark Knopfler “Sailing to PHiladelphia” is also very good.

There are just so many, and it is very hard to keep it to a “top 10.”

Have to stop now and eat breakfast.

Back