What concert are you watching? (ALL Formats, DVD-V, BD..maybe LDs too)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OPETH - Garden Of The Titans (Red Rocks Amphitheater) May 11th, 2017
The band has really grown on me (catching up to their full worth actually); I've seen them live three times and I love Red Rocks so this should be great. I selected the 5.1 surround mix and settled in. I got 1/2 way through the first song and walked back to the rear speakers. I put my ear to one and barely heard anything. This won't do. I'll take 5 channel stereo over this! I didn't want to monkey with surround modes, preferring to concentrate on the music and the performance this first time go round. They are a wicked tight and creative band, showcasing their taste and talents here. I think Mikael Akerfeldt's singing voice may be my favorite right now; the growl less so but it really fits the music so I have come to appreciate the effect. He is also a great front man with hilarious witticisms along the way. I always enjoy these little asides.

Great cross-section of tunes played from the recent Sorceress album then reaching back to Damnation and even farther. Options included are the 2 CDs I know I'm going to play + DVD-V + Blu Ray for a full package at a reasonable price. Once I accepted the fact that they (Danny Castillo with two assistant mix engineers) CANNOT MIX SURROUND TO SAVE THEIR LIVES. This performance should have been honored with an immersive surround mix, still amazing in stereo IMHO. Even a standard concert mix (crowd in rears) would make more sense than this low energy non-surround mix. If you have this disc and find some other mode(s) to enhance this, please share and I will do the same.

View attachment 37256
Spot on yet again, Timbre. An incredible AV display by a band at the heights of their power beautifully filmed and aurally captured. Just not in surround. Go with the stereo track and DSP if you so desire. Only real complaint is the relative brevity of the show. Got to think there were more tunes that night!

Spot on yet again, Timbre. An incredible AV display by a band at the heights of their power beautifully filmed and aurally captured. Just not in surround. Go with the stereo track and DSP if you so desire. Only real complaint is the relative brevity of the show. Got to think there were more tunes that night!

Yes, having seen them three times so far, this feels like 3/4 of a show. I've also discovered there are a number of YouTube clips where Mikael can make me laugh some more.

Queen "Live At The Rainbow '74" Blu-ray... Great Show! Sound and video are good to excellent, but don't get this for the surround. Vintage concerts are the best! Lots of stuff from Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack :p
Wow, I really can't believe this has been sitting on my shelf in the shrink wrap since it was released... it's FANTASTIC!!! The video and sound quality are excellent, and this show has the band playing like they have something to prove... and they prove it! This is right before they broke big with "Night at The Opera"... a hard rocking time capsule not to be missed by Queen fans!

CRACK THE SKY - All Access DVD AC 99603
dvd.jpg

Thanks to a QQ recommendation I became aware of this 2009 concert DVD comprised of two shows recorded in Pennsylvania the previous year. It starts with a performance @ RoSFest (Rites of Spring) May 2008 and concludes with New Hazlett Theater in July 2008. The shows have some overlap of fan favorites (Hold On, Surf City, Ice, Maybe I Fool Everybody Tonight, Nuclear Apathy) with different interludes and segues so it works nicely. Because I started late, I watched the May show last night and the July show this morning. The material is ambitious and yet catchy in a prog sort of way; performances are terrific. The OPPO says 5.1 Dolby Digital but this is another case of surround modes sounding feeble or incorrect, so again I prefer 5 Channel Stereo and cranking it up.

I very much enjoy the 1978 Live Sky album as a benchmark achievement and played it a million times on cassette in the car. Live Sky was compiled from two performances. When CDs arrived, there was a small scale effort to marry a portion of this album to a previous promo live album Live at WBAB, leaving Live Sky on CD as incomplete. I bought the CD in 1989 as soon as I could get it, because it gave me some of the tracks I wanted. However it felt a little schizoid to me as Gary Lee Chappell (from 3rd album Safety In Numbers) sang the Live Sky and the WBAB tracks were sung by founder John Palumbo who returned for White Music and all subsequent Crack The Sky albums to date. Then in 2006, Joe Macre (bass) steps up to mix, master and release Crack The Sky - Alive and Kicking Ass - made from the OTHER tracks not used in 1978 for Live Sky. I could take the two CDs and make my own Live Sky but the problem is Joe's taste in mastering echos the volume wars and the 2006 release can be a bit fatiguing. That plus the fact it sounds so different from the 1989 live compilation CD makes for a different kind of schizoid listen. Another project I may or may not ever get to is to reconcile the two discs into one.

sky.jpg
wbab.jpg
kicking.jpg

Happily the band is still playing live (mostly Baltimore where they have hero status but other northeast venues too, and releasing albums. Found a couple great articles from the band's website this morning too. Hope to catch them live in 2019.

Crack The Sky Website
Rolling Stone
Goldmine

Last edited:
I actually just received a Blu Ray I ordered of a concert from a German artist called Adel Tawil. I am excited to watch it soon!
I watched about half the live show. The music is awesome, Adel Tawil is very good live. The picture quality is a solid HD, but nothing special. The sound quality is good but not mind-blowing. The 5.1 surround mix is just band in front with some rear ambience, sadly. It works, but again is nothing special. Still, I got this because I love Tawil, both solo and in Ich + Ich, so I'm happy to have not just a live CD but also a concert Blu Ray!

0b04787a22e3e49e8c8cca3b213fac34.jpg

One of my favorite bands! Keane, KEANE LIVE!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got the BD of this and somehow I can't access the concert with my cheapo SONY BD player!
EDIT..I LOOOOVE this concert.. Keane ALWAYS giv es me goosebumps.. bless them.. I got all of their LPs/CDs.. and I saw them in Madrid in the Perfect Symmetry tour!!!

Reactions: GOS
Legends - Live At Montreux 1997 Blu Ray (DTS HDMA 5.1) - one off jam with Eric Clapton, Joe Sample, Marcus Miller, David Sanborn and Steve Gadd. EC is the odd man out here as he takes the role that would typically be filled by Larry Carlton or Lee Ritenour. The mix is strictly "live concert/rear ambience" but the performances and recording quality are uniformly excellent. I was always a big fan of the Jazz Crusaders and Joe Sample's playing here is stellar as is that of David Sanborn whose sax is prominently featured.

Last edited:
Alice Cooper Live at Center Sportif, Universite De Montreal January 1972......

Just in case the MONOTORS on this site think this is a BOOTLEG it is NOT!!! It's part of "SUPER DUPER ALICE COOPER" Super Deluxe Limited Edition of 2000 copies. UPC is 801213348695....

Last edited:
I'd LOVE to see this live-in-the-studio performance released as a blu-ray with a discrete "in the studio" mix similar to the John Lennon "Imagine" bonus mixes... maybe as part of a Super Deluxe set that includes the original "In Rainbows" with a Steven Wilson surround mix... maybe as part of a series of Super Deluxe sets of every Radiohead album, each with a Steven Wilson surround mix! (I can dream, can't I!?:p)
Capture.JPG

I'd LOVE to see this live-in-the-studio performance released as a blu-ray with a discrete "in the studio" mix similar to the John Lennon "Imagine" bonus mixes... maybe as part of a Super Deluxe set that includes the original "In Rainbows" with a Steven Wilson surround mix... maybe as part of a series of Super Deluxe sets of every Radiohead album, each with a Steven Wilson surround mix! (I can dream, can't I!?:p)
View attachment 37951
That would be pretty sweet, right? The few From the Basement shows I’ve seen have been incredible. Haven’t really listened to the Chili Peppers in ages, but their FTB performance was superlative!

Back