What I thought when I first heard this album...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard Thompson just came up in the shuffle. I first heard about him in a Rolling Stone interview promoting the release of Across A Crowded Room. This is still one of my favorite albums, one I embarrassed (mock) Richard with at a record store appearance he did in support of Mirror Blue, another amazing album. The variety of music, the star and inciteful lyrics and amazing guitar playing made me a lifelong fan. The humor evident in the lyrics is nothing compared to his bater on stage. This album was an indictment of the paucity of American radio. How is it that RT and his work with wife and the Fairport Convention could be so unknown. I saw a video for the title track of this album before ever hearing RT on the radio,

There wasn't a song on this album I disliked.

Well that's funny. I've wondered before what the reaction might be from someone who heard Lucky Man on the radio, bought the album, and then got hit by The Barbarian and everything that follows! I would have guessed a different reaction to yours! :D
Such a strange time. It was a long time ago, but I think the first ELP I picked up was Brain Salad Surgery, because I liked Still... You Turn Me On. The overwhelming experience of that album in combination with reading Tolkien, Donaldson, Heinlein, & Herbert is hard to put into words so many years later. The I found Trilogy at a garage sale and discovered this was the same group that created In the Beginning, I was blown away. I was listening to all of this a decade or more after release, adding Lucky Man to those albums made me think I was born at the wrong time. Even if there was some contemporary music I enjoyed.

Holy Crap! This is the time and this is the record of the time. 40 years old. Big Science released April 19, 1982.
https://echoes.org/2022/04/21/echoes-podcast-laurie-andersons/

I seem to remember an Atmos mix of a "remixed" version of "O Superman" appearing last year on Tidal, but I can't find it on Apple Music, which is what I currently subscribe to.

Last edited:
Back