What is the story behind your Avatar

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few Years ago we made a trip through Chili and stayed a few days in a very remote old Sheep Farm on 'Isla del Fuego'.
We were the only guests and in one of the guest rooms there was this old honky tonk like piano.
Now I'm not a great player and there wasn't even a piano stool, but I couldn't help it and had to play some tunes.
Just good memories :)

Mine is a scan of the 3rd state Y&T album I owned. I bought the album locally (small town appliance/record store) a few months after release and hadn't thought anything about it. In fact, being the Beatles fan that I was, I didn't even know about the paste over thing - I had only heard about the 'butcher cover' figuring it was never released/approved. Fast forward to the early 70s and a friend who was more fanatical about the lads asked if he could look at my copy. When asked "why?" he explained the history of the album. After examination he said he thought I had one of the paste over copies and I should immediately steam off the trunk cover. I was hesitant to do so, but he showed me the evidence for his claim being legit. Went to the kitchen and put water in my mom's tea kettle and began the process. Took my time doing the steaming as my friend said that was where most folks failed. Got the paste over off intact only having two very small spots that were right toward the end of the process left on the original cover (upper right hand corner in fact). Since I had bought the mono copy and the store also had the stereo version we figured that album was the same as mine most likely. I tried running down the possible owner, but they said they had disposed of the album several years back and the cover, at that time, was trashed. Fast forward again to the early 00s. My son was getting ready to go to college and the school was asking $300 for some pre-registration thing. We didn't have the money. My mind harkened back to a conversation I had with a friend about records and the value of my collection. He had commented that I would be able to put my kids through college based on the value. So that's what I did. It was the most valuable record I owned running right around the $600 range (not bad for a record I paid <$4 for). I sold it on ebay to a gentleman in NJ along with the paste over for a little over $600. Had it been a first or second state it would have been worth more, but I didn't care. Got the money my son needed and extra to boot. The buyer said he was going to frame it and put it on a wall in his home. I sometimes wish I still had it, but I sold it for a good reason so it's 'shiny'. (that's for all you Firefly/Serenity fans)

A few Years ago we made a trip through Chili and stayed a few days in a very remote old Sheep Farm on 'Isla del Fuego'.
We were the only guests and in one of the guest rooms there was this old honky tonk like piano.
Now I'm not a great player and there wasn't even a piano stool, but I couldn't help it and had to play some tunes.
Just good memories :)
Chile is amazing. In my previous job, I spent most of my time in the Rancagua region (heavy agriculture) and also Vina Del Mar, etc.

My avatar is a picture of me taken by my ex girlfriend while we were in a cafe in Ajaccio, Corsica. It was a stunningly beautiful day, I was with an even more stunningly beautiful girl and at the exact moment this picture was taken, I was downloading the new (at that time) Neil Young and POTR album and eagerly awaiting the first listen.

Seems like a lifetime ago.

Mine is a scan of the 3rd state Y&T album I owned. I bought the album locally (small town appliance/record store) a few months after release and hadn't thought anything about it. In fact, being the Beatles fan that I was, I didn't even know about the paste over thing - I had only heard about the 'butcher cover' figuring it was never released/approved. Fast forward to the early 70s and a friend who was more fanatical about the lads asked if he could look at my copy. When asked "why?" he explained the history of the album. After examination he said he thought I had one of the paste over copies and I should immediately steam off the trunk cover. I was hesitant to do so, but he showed me the evidence for his claim being legit. Went to the kitchen and put water in my mom's tea kettle and began the process. Took my time doing the steaming as my friend said that was where most folks failed. Got the paste over off intact only having two very small spots that were right toward the end of the process left on the original cover (upper right hand corner in fact). Since I had bought the mono copy and the store also had the stereo version we figured that album was the same as mine most likely. I tried running down the possible owner, but they said they had disposed of the album several years back and the cover, at that time, was trashed. Fast forward again to the early 00s. My son was getting ready to go to college and the school was asking $300 for some pre-registration thing. We didn't have the money. My mind harkened back to a conversation I had with a friend about records and the value of my collection. He had commented that I would be able to put my kids through college based on the value. So that's what I did. It was the most valuable record I owned running right around the $600 range (not bad for a record I paid <$4 for). I sold it on ebay to a gentleman in NJ along with the paste over for a little over $600. Had it been a first or second state it would have been worth more, but I didn't care. Got the money my son needed and extra to boot. The buyer said he was going to frame it and put it on a wall in his home. I sometimes wish I still had it, but I sold it for a good reason so it's 'shiny'. (that's for all you Firefly/Serenity fans)
Definitely Shiny, Mal!

My avatar is a picture of me taken by my ex girlfriend while we were in a cafe in Ajaccio, Corsica. It was a stunningly beautiful day, I was with an even more stunningly beautiful girl and at the exact moment this picture was taken, I was downloading the new (at that time) Neil Young and POTR album and eagerly awaiting the first listen.

Seems like a lifetime ago.
Io AMO Italia!!!!

I'm a big fan of Ghost Trains and the picture of the clown comes from Trimper Rides in Ocean City, Maryland.

I'm a big fan of Ghost Trains and the picture of the clown comes from Trimper Rides in Ocean City, Maryland.
Have a place on 130th and am down OC every few weeks from April to October. I was down there last week to check on the place after the blizzard. I am very familiar with Trimper Rides. I thought that looked familiar but I would have never placed it.

Reactions: SHB
Hold the phone and 'nashed tators a minute; I'm no Prog. guy, so probably something I'm not keen on, but I just saw @rtbluray's new avatar and need to know just what the hammered armour that one represents? :unsure:
Apparently Ryan is being cagey about this 🤨🧐, I did a Google line art image search with no similar hits, but I swear I've seen this before 😩
Would love some Return To Forever – Romantic Warrior

I figured he suddenly had a thing for Joan of Arc. . . .
OK he's toying with us now!

Maybe "Joan Of Ark by Orchestral Manoeuvres"
--- The Line Art Surround Mix, but just not sure that tracks.---

1659637392479.png

Hold the phone and 'nashed tators a minute; I'm no Prog. guy, so probably something I'm not keen on, but I just saw @rtbluray's new avatar and need to know just what the hammered armour that one represents? :unsure:
I did an image search and it came back as 'fictional character'. I then noticed the lines behind it looked kind of like the artwork on The Beatles - Revolver, so I looked that up and zoomed in and found that little guy perched on John's ear!

Back