What's the Latest DISCRETE Quad LP Added to Your Pile? CD-4, UD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very brief but hardly comprehensive overview of RCA's dynaflex vinyl: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynaflex_(RCA)

Interesting to note that other major record companies were re~utilizing vinyl at the time and note that a lot of 'audiophiles' complained that Dynaflex sometimes resulted in bass loss.

Also note that Dynaflex pressings extended into the late 70's which would theoretically cover the entirety of the CD~4 era.:yikes

I don't have a problem with Dynaflex in and of itself, I know it has its detractors, they do feel flimsy by definition which might contribute to getting more easily warped and all that entails.. but I have a number of excellent sounding Stereo Dynaflex records I enjoyed long before I went down the Quad LP road, so I don't think that is the problem with my own personal experience with RCA CD-4 records distorting left, right and rear right.. I think (just a hunch) that when you look at the way the American RCA CD-4 discs are cut which is unlike the Warner, Motown, etc (pretty much everyone else doing CD-4) they are a bit more like regular LPs with wider bands for each track and smaller run out grooves.

Hi. All

2 CD-4 LP`s came today.

( RCA. CD-4 APD1-1541 -Floyd Cramer Country )-
( RCA. CD-4 APD1-0893 -Floyd Cramer Piano Masterpieces )-

IMG_1322.jpg
IMG_1323.jpg
IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg
IMG_1326.jpg
View attachment 27759
Image1a.jpg
IMG_1327.jpg

One Floyd Cramer album I would have loved to hear in Quad but wasn't released is We Wish You A Merry Christmas. It was recorded in 1967. A Quad might have been difficult to do with a four track recording, unless RCA was using eight tracks by then.

Have you managed to listen to any of them yet Adam? Interesting to find out what the Joni Mitchell sounds like in Quad.

Have you managed to listen to any of them yet Adam? Interesting to find out what the Joni Mitchell sounds like in Quad.

(as Fred DIneage would say.. "HOW!" :D ) yes i've played the lot, the Captain & Me is excellent (still think Scheiner's 5.1 nudges it for the most part.. but we're spoilt to have two superb surround mixes of a classic album, hope the Doobies get the Quadio treatment someday, their Quads are still some of the best I've heard!), the Souther Hillman isn't anything exceptional mix wise and there are only about 2-3 really solid songs I like on it but its fine.. the Seals & Crofts is ok (sleeves a bit knackered but the vinyl is in lovely nick and sounds as such!) but not a patch on Diamond Girl as an album, the Joni Mitchell is a crackle fest unfortunately; it demods ok with no sandpaper.. but just a load of crackle going all the way through both sides of it.. guess I'll have to get another copy.. although I'm wondering if an anti-stat gun might cure some of these old Quad records that even under critical light look virtually unplayed and are being described I believe in all fairness as VG+/NM for the vinyl (state of the sleeves are another thing, not so fussed about them at this stage) but still crackle even when cleaned in the machine!? i dunno.. what were the others? oh yes the Carly Simon's.. kinda forgettable albums, nice sound and mixes!

Who was the bloke smoking the pipe in HOW!?

Shame about the Joni Mitchell, we ought to start a campaign to get Quadio releases of all the Joni Mitchell & Doobies Quads, they would sell very well.

Which reminds to hassle SpinCDs yet again on the Chicago, we'll have it in a week or two they said on a phone call about 3 weeks ago, its ended up like the joke about the soldier who leaves a pair of shoes with the cobbler at the start of the war and comes back 5 years later to be told they'll ready at the end of the week sir - shame it was ordered when the pre-order appeared!

(as Fred DIneage would say.. "HOW!" :D ) yes i've played the lot, the Captain & Me is excellent (still think Scheiner's 5.1 nudges it for the most part.. but we're spoilt to have two superb surround mixes of a classic album, hope the Doobies get the Quadio treatment someday, their Quads are still some of the best I've heard!), the Souther Hillman isn't anything exceptional mix wise and there are only about 2-3 really solid songs I like on it but its fine.. the Seals & Crofts is ok (sleeves a bit knackered but the vinyl is in lovely nick and sounds as such!) but not a patch on Diamond Girl as an album, the Joni Mitchell is a crackle fest unfortunately; it demods ok with no sandpaper.. but just a load of crackle going all the way through both sides of it.. guess I'll have to get another copy.. although I'm wondering if an anti-stat gun might cure some of these old Quad records that even under critical light look virtually unplayed and are being described I believe in all fairness as VG+/NM for the vinyl (state of the sleeves are another thing, not so fussed about them at this stage) but still crackle even when cleaned in the machine!? i dunno.. what were the others? oh yes the Carly Simon's.. kinda forgettable albums, nice sound and mixes!

Who was the bloke smoking the pipe in HOW!?

Shame about the Joni Mitchell, we ought to start a campaign to get Quadio releases of all the Joni Mitchell & Doobies Quads, they would sell very well.

Which reminds to hassle SpinCDs yet again on the Chicago, we'll have it in a week or two they said on a phone call about 3 weeks ago, its ended up like the joke about the soldier who leaves a pair of shoes with the cobbler at the start of the war and comes back 5 years later to be told they'll ready at the end of the week sir - shame it was ordered when the pre-order appeared!

Jack Hargreaves! :smokin

Joni Quadio's = great! Yes!

..Quadio's of everything we want would be better! ;)

haha.. christ that spin saga is still going on!? can't you just get your money back and get it from Amazon instead? it seems to get cheaper at Amazon by the day! they'll probably slash it til it goes out of stock and then it'll be a zillion quid on eBay! :D

That's who it was! What about Do Not Adjust Your Set which had the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band on it every week?

Do you think Rhino/Universal would listen on possible Quadio's, do marketing types actually listen to those that purchase music?

I phoned Spin and they said that's strange must be a software issue its on the system, we'll re-order it.................. I wonder......can't afford to lose nearly £80

Jack Hargreaves! :smokin

Joni Quadio's = great! Yes!

..Quadio's of everything we want would be better! ;)

haha.. christ that spin saga is still going on!? can't you just get your money back and get it from Amazon instead? it seems to get cheaper at Amazon by the day! they'll probably slash it til it goes out of stock and then it'll be a zillion quid on eBay! :D

That's who it was! What about Do Not Adjust Your Set which had the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band on it every week?

Do you think Rhino/Universal would listen on possible Quadio's, do marketing types actually listen to those that purchase music?

I phoned Spin and they said that's strange must be a software issue its on the system, we'll re-order it.................. I wonder......can't afford to lose nearly £80

ah yeah whatsisname, Neil.. Innes? getting tired braincells shutting down for the night! :eek:

would they listen to us? I dunno.. maybe? possibly not but gotta be worth a shot, better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all..! I've never contacted them directly about it, or if I have I don't remember doing so.

how odd.. of course not, I couldn't afford to lose £8 let alone £80..! fingers crossed you get a resolution - at last!! :upthumb

edit: Ps. conscious we've gone a bit OT the last couple of posts here, sorry Mods.
PM anytime Duncan, let's form a two pronged attack and lobby for more Quad from the labels! :D

Back