What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Buddy Miles looks interesting(y)

Unfortunately, that one was an absolute mess when I opened it. The prior owner replaced the foil splice with one side of the tape upside-down, so it was feeding from the center with the wrong side facing up :rolleyes:.

I managed to locate the splice, cut it, and wind the tangled mess that came out onto a spare reel. It's gonna be real fun getting that extra tape to feed back into the center properly. 8-tracks ain't for the faint of heart...

Here's what I've brought in since late January. Isleys, Black Oak Arkansas, and Randy Newman are new/sealed.

The Mahavishnu isn't one you see often, and I'm curious how the Bhen Lanzarohni title pans out. That LP was released in a format called "compati-quad", which supposedly could be properly decoded by any matrix decoder. I have the LP as well and it sounds the best to my ears through QS.

View attachment 38931

What’s your impression of Good Old Boys?

Unfortunately, that one was an absolute mess when I opened it. The prior owner replaced the foil splice with one side of the tape upside-down, so it was feeding from the center with the wrong side facing up :rolleyes:.

I managed to locate the splice, cut it, and wind the tangled mess that came out onto a spare reel. It's gonna be real fun getting that extra tape to feed back into the center properly. 8-tracks ain't for the faint of heart...

View attachment 38946

Ever think about building a Tab special R-R?

What’s your impression of Good Old Boys?

I haven't really listened in depth yet, just popped it in for a track or two yesterday to see how it sounds. I don't own the CD-4 LP, so I had no prior experience with the quad mix. It's pretty discrete: Randy and his piano are upfront with some echo to the rears, and there are some strings and brass isolated in the rears.

Ever think about building a Tab special R-R?

Don't think I have the technical skill for that sort of project...

I haven't really listened in depth yet, just popped it in for a track or two yesterday to see how it sounds. I don't own the CD-4 LP, so I had no prior experience with the quad mix. It's pretty discrete: Randy and his piano are upfront with some echo to the rears, and there are some strings and brass isolated in the rears.

Don't think I have the technical skill for that sort of project...

A bump for this thread(y)
- always dreamed of how great this could be until I saw the youtube video from this post:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...eel-to-reel-q8-player.6305/page-2#post-386340
:eek::censored:😭

View attachment 38946
I've done this hundreds of times. A any turntable spins the correct way (direction) to wind the tape back into it's Q8 reel. But it looks like you've taken from the wrong direction and now will need to spool it to another open reel in order to get the "heads" end of the tape going to Q8 reel, rather the the "tails" end. You must get that heads end of the tape facing out of a reel to wind it back correctly.

bigbillquad - Thanks. After I received the package that had only part one, I started looking around and found the set. Couldn't pass it up! I think I need to go to rehab!!

No need, you have what I have Quadraphobea the need to buy Quad material...…..😋

Yeah , I bought it just for the idea that it was a notched stereo cartridge. I have seen them before , but passed on them. I am sure notched stereo cartridges are not as uncommon as one would think. It will go well with my fake vinyl quad lp's (novelties of the times).

Hi. All

I have a big back log of Q8 & one Q4 to share....

( Electra. Q8 8Q-5015 -Bread I`m-a Want You )-
( Chr. Q8 L9C 1044 -Jethro Tull Aqualung )-
( Mercury. Q8 MQ8-1-1013 0795 -Ohio Players Fire )-
( A&M. Q8 -8Q-53617 -Quincy Jones Body Heat )-
( CTI. Q8 CTQ8 6041 -Deodato/Airto In Concert :Factory Sealed New)-
( Liberty/UA. Q8 A-9025 -Best Of Buddy Rich )-
( Alshire. Q8 TQ1-5 -Bob Jackson "Boots" The Sax )-
( SAM. Q8 9130 Q -The Best Of Al Green )-
( Columbia. Q8 Q8-TWO 359 -Pepe Jaramillo Meets Manuel )-
( Columbia. Q8 CQ 10706 -This Is Music Country )-
( RCA. Q8 1-0013 -Mancini Salutes Sousa )-
( RCA. Q8 RQ8-1047 -The Best Of Fiedler/Boston Pops )-
( Angel. Stereo 8 SQ S131660 -Beverly Sills Andre Kostelanetz: Music Of Hebert )- ...............I haven`t tried this yet but I thinks it is SQ it has the round Angel on front...………….

( Vanguard. Q4 VSS-23 -Igor Stravinsky Petrouchka 1911 Ver-Complete )-

Last edited:
Back