What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Hi. All

Been bizzy buying more Q4 tapes.

( Project3. Q4 PR4C-5041 -The Tony Touch The Best Of )-
( Project3. Q4 PR4C-5056 -The Big Hits Of The 30s & 40s )-
( Project3. Q4 PR4C-5051 -Hit Movies Themes )-
( Vanguard. Q4 -VSS-19 -Music Hit Tunes Aquarius )-
( RCA. Q4 ERQ1-0012-QF -Mancini Salutes Sousa )-

Last edited:
What throws me off with Project 3 reels when I look at auctions, is that they say "4 Channel Stereo" but still list a "Program A" and "Program B". It always makes me pause, "is that really quad, or a mis-labeled stereo version?"
I've only got one reel myself (Akai demo), and quad reels only have one program because everything's recorded in the same direction of play. Unless it's an oddball matrix encoded reel. Must be a labeling mistake?

What throws me off with Project 3 reels when I look at auctions, is that they say "4 Channel Stereo" but still list a "Program A" and "Program B". It always makes me pause, "is that really quad, or a mis-labeled stereo version?"
I've only got one reel myself (Akai demo), and quad reels only have one program because everything's recorded in the same direction of play. Unless it's an oddball matrix encoded reel. Must be a labeling mistake?

Not a labelling error, just too cheap to print new labels. They were trying to make the stickers work for both issues, just like some of th LP issues that had 4 channel stickerrs rather than new jackets printed.

Does the fact there there is a QR, a Q8, and an SACD of a given quad album bring down the prices a bit on some of the nicer rarer items?
Probably not of the vinyl or discrete 8 tracks. To a collector , re- releases in new formats don't seem to matter much. I myself haven't seen prices being effected by multichannel.

Does your Steve Miller have a swapped channel? When I compare mine to the old DTS CD, it seems the Q8 has both fronts in the left channels.

Does your Steve Miller have a swapped channel? When I compare mine to the old DTS CD, it seems the Q8 has both fronts in the left channels.
Is this a well documented problem with that DTS disc? And is the later Capitol surround DVD all fixed and fine for this album?

Last edited:

Hi. Q-Eight

I had to put a new pad & and silver strip its done so I will give it a good hearing and get back to you..
BBQ.

Last edited:
Is this a well documented problem with that DTS disc? And is the later Capitol surround DVD all fixed and fine for this album?

Other way around. The older, DTS CD is corrected while the Q8 has the swapped channel. Not sure what DVD you're thinking of, but the 35th anniversary 5.1 mix is brand new and a little bit more discrete/adventurous than the Q8/DTS CD is.

My Q8 of Mandingo III has the same swap: lefts=fronts, rights=rears. I noticed it on the song "Drums In The Night", when the flute call-and-response lines move from left rear to left front. The SQ LP has it jumping back-and-forth left front to right front.

HI. Q-Eight

I have given Steve Miller a good listen and just about confused my self swapping leads but this is the config that I came up with, it puts the vocals in front where they should be there is a lot of discrete elements to this mix, I enjoyed this mix.
BBQ.

Last edited:
Here's what I've brought in since late January. Isleys, Black Oak Arkansas, and Randy Newman are new/sealed.

The Mahavishnu isn't one you see often, and I'm curious how the Bhen Lanzarohni title pans out. That LP was released in a format called "compati-quad", which supposedly could be properly decoded by any matrix decoder. I have the LP as well and it sounds the best to my ears through QS.

Here's what I've brought in since late January. Isleys, Black Oak Arkansas, and Randy Newman are new/sealed.

The Mahavishnu isn't one you see often, and I'm curious how the Bhen Lanzarohni title pans out. That LP was released in a format called "compati-quad", which supposedly could be properly decoded by any matrix decoder. I have the LP as well and it sounds the best to my ears through QS.

View attachment 38931

That Buddy Miles looks interesting(y)

Back