What's the Latest Stereo (or Mono) SACD in Your Collection?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received both Judee Sill's SACDs from Elusive Disc...

EDIT:
Good news, the tapes sound great for being 50 years old..
The bad news: Kevin Gray f*cked it up royally and mastered it about 4 dB too hot and there is distortion on the loud passages on "Heart Food" see below... (the S/T one is not that bad)

Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 6.15.00 PM.png

Added pics....

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0723.JPG

Last edited:
I’ve read elsewhere that there are issues with the sound on the 2nd album.
Maybe not Kevin’s fault.
The only issue I find is the distortion on the loud passages but which are squashed on the waveform; KG probably mastered it too hot to "hide" them but a nice short blurb would have been nice, even if it was like on early CDs "The recording featured on this disc was done on analog equipment, etc."

The bad news: Kevin Gray f*cked it up royally and mastered it about 4 dB too hot and there is distortion on the loud passages on "Heart Food" see below...
That's surprising. Kevin isn't known for loud masters; rather, the opposite. I have to imagine this was a mistake—either on his part, or somewhere further down the line—rather than a deliberate choice.

Just received both Judee Sill's SACDs from Elusive Disc...

EDIT:
Good news, the tapes sound great for being 50 years old..
The bad news: Kevin Gray f*cked it up royally and mastered it about 4 dB too hot and there is distortion on the loud passages on "Heart Food" see below... (the S/T one is not that bad)

View attachment 76607

Added pics....

View attachment 76605
View attachment 76606
Is that the SACD layer or an up sampled CD layer? If CD it's just another victim of the loudness wars. At least it's not brick walled. If it's converted from DSD perhaps the level has to be reduced (-6dB) during the conversion process? Although they do apparently exist I've never run into a clipped or brickwalled SACD yet!

Is that the SACD layer or an up sampled CD layer? If CD it's just another victim of the loudness wars. At least it's not brick walled. If it's converted from DSD perhaps the level has to be reduced (-6dB) during the conversion process? Although they do apparently exist I've never run into a clipped or brickwalled SACD yet!
it doesn't look like it's an upsampled CD on either of the SACDs. I ripped them both in 96/24 in Logic from the Oppo analog outputs at 0dB . I have a couple of SACDs where there has been one song from a CD and the cutoff at 21K is VERY noticeable and that is not the case on these.. of course you can see the "cat/dog repellent" high frequency noise that is the norm on SACDs...
Here are the waveforms and spectogram of the S/T:
Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 12.12.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 12.12.04 PM.png

and here is the spectogram of Heart Food:
Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 12.13.17 PM.png

Back