What's your "Pile"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was an early adopter of CD. Also had lots of friends and clients in the record business. Got a few hundred promo LP'S in the five years I was with CBS.

Had several places where I could return any pressing still in print. 2 LP's for 1 CD. Got back every $$ toward CD'S. How many had I played more than a couple times each? Not many. Like new. Had another 3 -4 thousand LP'S that I turned into CD. Not anymore. Presto change-o.
Amazing.
I was late coming to CD. Reasons unknown except I didn't get a CD player/burner until my wife bought me one. Not talking about a pc burner, just a I think 5 disc changer that would also burn CD's.
That wasn't until about 2005-6. Gave it away years ago and truthfully it mostly was used for DTS-CD's via toslink to the old Sony AVR (which my wife also bought me}.
Fly Like An Eagle got played a thousand times. lol. I think my first DTS-CD but my collection grew quickly.
Never did quite complete a Brad Miller collection.

I have a built in advantage: no wife. And a Husband who is sympathetic, and a collector of movies. Music to a lesser degree.

Collection takes up 2 full rooms and part of three others. A TREASURE HUNT!!
Where should I begin?

DVD-V and BluRay videos/concerts: lots still sealed

Most ridiculous example of sealed product in my collection: Movie Box - Genesis 1981 - 2007 5 DVD-V 5.1 Bought first week of release. I bought the other Genesis/CD/SACD/DVD-V boxes and listened to/watched each disc at least a couple times. I've revisited the other boxes in the last couple weeks. I believe this is the only box set by anyone still sealed. This one is long overdue.

Sealed product that won't be opened by me: several duplicates of CD & SACD.

I haven't listed VHS, Beta, LD or DVD-V and BluRay movies. There at least a couple that I've never viewed on each format. Mostly bequeathed not viewed.

DVD-V equivalents of BD in some super deluxe boxes. BD's in those were played.

CD's: a few dozen. although I estimate 20,000 RBCD's, I have listened to the majority of them at least once. A few thousand likely need a second spin. breaks my heart.

2 ch & mono LP's: perhaps 100, mostly LP's I was bequeathed

BDA, DVD-A, DTS CD, Dolby Surround CD, DVD-V 5.1 albums and SACD multi, 2ch & mono: NONE, though I've not played most of the 2ch mixes on 5.1, alternate mixes of album, or CD layers of hybrids.

Quad LP's: none

Q8's: perhaps 100 that I was bequeathed, many doubles I already own.

2ch prerecorded reels: perhaps a dozen

78's & 45's: none

Elcaset, Tefifon, Playtape and Edison cylinders: none I know of lol!!

MD: Boz Scaggs Hits! I play Japan version or US version on CD often

Assorted pre-recorded cassettes & 2ch 8 tracks: a few dozen I was bequeathed

BTW; bequeathed infers that I was given these by friends, often posthumously. I have never asked anyone to do that. Even a line in their wills! Everyone who knows me understands IT's MY JONES!

Qlinda

You have a helluva collection, Congrats and enjoy !!

My pile was down to 3 recently purchased CDs, now down to only one CD [Metallica's new album]. I try to not buy things unless they're of interest, so I tend to accumulate very little music in queue before something else arrives.

I guess my final Beethoven SACD boxed set counts, I'm only a few discs into that but intentionally slow on getting through it as it sits in the living room for "when the mood hits me".

Certainly poorer because of it. Have had a blast. Hope it 🙏 continues for a couple more decades.

There will be lots of goodies to divest when I check out. My maternal Grandmother lived to 101. Not sure I'll get to that. Still, it's something to shoot 🔫 🙃 for.
If I survive my wife she knows to call a number on my phone and tell them to come and get whatever they like, all or any.
My wife nor adult daughter either care about any of it.

I have a built in advantage: no wife. And a Husband who is sympathetic, and a collector of movies. Music to a lesser degree.

Collection takes up 2 full rooms and part of three others. A TREASURE HUNT!!
Where should I begin?

DVD-V and BluRay videos/concerts: lots still sealed

Most ridiculous example of sealed product in my collection: Movie Box - Genesis 1981 - 2007 5 DVD-V 5.1 Bought first week of release. I bought the other Genesis/CD/SACD/DVD-V boxes and listened to/watched each disc at least a couple times. I've revisited the other boxes in the last couple weeks. I believe this is the only box set by anyone still sealed. This one is long overdue.

Sealed product that won't be opened by me: several duplicates of CD & SACD.

I haven't listed VHS, Beta, LD or DVD-V and BluRay movies. There at least a couple that I've never viewed on each format. Mostly bequeathed not viewed.

DVD-V equivalents of BD in some super deluxe boxes. BD's in those were played.

CD's: a few dozen. although I estimate 20,000 RBCD's, I have listened to the majority of them at least once. A few thousand likely need a second spin. breaks my heart.

2 ch & mono LP's: perhaps 100, mostly LP's I was bequeathed

BDA, DVD-A, DTS CD, Dolby Surround CD, DVD-V 5.1 albums and SACD multi, 2ch & mono: NONE, though I've not played most of the 2ch mixes on 5.1, alternate mixes of album, or CD layers of hybrids.

Quad LP's: none

Q8's: perhaps 100 that I was bequeathed, many doubles I already own.

2ch prerecorded reels: perhaps a dozen

78's & 45's: none

Elcaset, Tefifon, Playtape and Edison cylinders: none I know of lol!!

MD: Boz Scaggs Hits! I play Japan version or US version on CD often

Assorted pre-recorded cassettes & 2ch 8 tracks: a few dozen I was bequeathed

BTW; bequeathed infers that I was given these by friends, often posthumously. I have never asked anyone to do that. Even a line in their wills! Everyone who knows me understands IT's MY JONES!
Wow! Pictures, please!

And, of course, you reminded me of a few Laser Discs that are still sealed (including one movie, but otherwise music), and a stack of about 80 Edison Diamond Discs.

I really don’t need to buy any more, but I know I will.

Back