Windows 11 is out today. Is there any reason for QQers to upgrade from Windows 10?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My HTPC is intentionally underpowered (Athlon 3000G processor) so it can run almost silently. I was a little surprised to get the offer to upgrade it to Windows 11 yesterday given that the chip only has two cores. Do people think I should jump?
I'd recommend taking a pass on it.
It's a fairly large bloated OS and would probably slow your PC down significantly. Besides not knowing if all your HTPC programs will run without issues on the new OS.
If it ain't broke don't fix it is my opinion in this case.

I'd recommend taking a pass on it.
It's a fairly large bloated OS and would probably slow your PC down significantly. Besides not knowing if all your HTPC programs will run without issues on the new OS.
If it ain't broke don't fix it is my opinion in this case.
I would tend to agree. I have an older PC with Windows 10 and an i7 processor and an older video card that I run legacy stuff on. I also just bought a new gaming PC with Windows 11 and it works wonderfully fast. The newer PC came with a 1TB NVMe solid state drive. Man, things have changed. This thing is lightning fast. No hard drives. I also installed another 1 TB Solid state drive for more space. There would be really no reason to install Windows 11 on the old PC but it certainly is welcomed on the new one.

I would tend to agree. I have an older PC with Windows 10 and an i7 processor and an older video card that I run legacy stuff on. I also just bought a new gaming PC with Windows 11 and it works wonderfully fast. The newer PC came with a 1TB NVMe solid state drive. Man, things have changed. This thing is lightning fast. No hard drives. I also installed another 1 TB Solid state drive for more space. There would be really no reason to install Windows 11 on the old PC but it certainly is welcomed on the new one.
I’m confused. Are you recommending that people leave it alone on an older PC but go for it on a newer one? 🤔

I am late for this fray but will jump in with my inflation-related 25-dollars' worth of opinion.

Sought a new computer June 2022 to replace my ancient decaying device not worth repairing. The days of building my own device are over for too many reasons to delve into here. Off to the retailer I go. Budget very tight so price was of utmost importance.

The local BestBuy corporate monolith had a name-brand mass market device with Windows 11 within on sale at what I thought was a bargain. Dusty memory is unreliable but the price was in the $300 US dollar range. Okay, credit in the card would allow monthly payment. Off I go with device and the undesired time spent loading software and fine-tuning the critter and gathering the bookmarks and all that tedious stuff.

At home. Turn on. Computer, not me. Tune into Windows 11 and . . .

What the Eff is this???!!! Details avoided. Old dog here. No new tricks for me. I do not even use a cell phone except for emergencies such as calling ATT to tell them the damn landline was broken. Have you tried to find a pay-phone lately? In a small city of 350,000 or so wayward souls I found but one payphone. It is in the convenience store not far away in the worst part of town where the adrift populace that is often without regular shelter congregate. Apparently that phone is for their use.

That event led to acquiring my cellphone that is in the truck's box of gloves in case of emergency. At home the critter enters the home with me. Kinda' like being married. Cell phones suck but are a necessity nowadays. That worful tale helps explain in a way my old doggedness. I want an operating system (O/S) to fit my wants and needs not me adapting to bits and bytes and ones and twos and thank God modern computers do not require having a DOS guide next to the computer for those old-time command-line interface horrors.

Returning to BestBuy a few hours later the lackey listened to my woeful tale and refunded the cost no problemo,esse. Gracias.

Off to the locally owned and operated computer store. Bought one with Windows 10. That O/S was far more related to the Windows 7 I had used for a lengthy period. Despite paying more for a well-built unit not designed, built and shipped to sell at the lowest possible price I have a unit with better quality components that will likely last longer than my ancient, decrepit, decayinmg falling apart at the seams mind and body.

In conclusion: I highly recommend all folks embedded with Windows 7 and earlier experience to try Windows 11 on a computer that somebody else has such as a friend or a retailer before you buy it. Ever try Microsoft Bob? Not that I view Windows 11 as akin to that long-gone O/S but my disgust with Windows 11 has me placing it in the Bob genre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob
That's it for me. Writing this wears me out. Time for my nap after I kick the wife and feed the dog. Or is it feed wife kick dog. Whatever. I will figure it out.

I am late for this fray but will jump in with my inflation-related 25-dollars' worth of opinion.

Sought a new computer June 2022 to replace my ancient decaying device not worth repairing. The days of building my own device are over for too many reasons to delve into here. Off to the retailer I go. Budget very tight so price was of utmost importance.

The local BestBuy corporate monolith had a name-brand mass market device with Windows 11 within on sale at what I thought was a bargain. Dusty memory is unreliable but the price was in the $300 US dollar range. Okay, credit in the card would allow monthly payment. Off I go with device and the undesired time spent loading software and fine-tuning the critter and gathering the bookmarks and all that tedious stuff.

At home. Turn on. Computer, not me. Tune into Windows 11 and . . .

What the Eff is this???!!! Details avoided. Old dog here. No new tricks for me. I do not even use a cell phone except for emergencies such as calling ATT to tell them the damn landline was broken. Have you tried to find a pay-phone lately? In a small city of 350,000 or so wayward souls I found but one payphone. It is in the convenience store not far away in the worst part of town where the adrift populace that is often without regular shelter congregate. Apparently that phone is for their use.

That event led to acquiring my cellphone that is in the truck's box of gloves in case of emergency. At home the critter enters the home with me. Kinda' like being married. Cell phones suck but are a necessity nowadays. That worful tale helps explain in a way my old doggedness. I want an operating system (O/S) to fit my wants and needs not me adapting to bits and bytes and ones and twos and thank God modern computers do not require having a DOS guide next to the computer for those old-time command-line interface horrors.

Returning to BestBuy a few hours later the lackey listened to my woeful tale and refunded the cost no problemo,esse. Gracias.

Off to the locally owned and operated computer store. Bought one with Windows 10. That O/S was far more related to the Windows 7 I had used for a lengthy period. Despite paying more for a well-built unit not designed, built and shipped to sell at the lowest possible price I have a unit with better quality components that will likely last longer than my ancient, decrepit, decayinmg falling apart at the seams mind and body.

In conclusion: I highly recommend all folks embedded with Windows 7 and earlier experience to try Windows 11 on a computer that somebody else has such as a friend or a retailer before you buy it. Ever try Microsoft Bob? Not that I view Windows 11 as akin to that long-gone O/S but my disgust with Windows 11 has me placing it in the Bob genre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob
That's it for me. Writing this wears me out. Time for my nap after I kick the wife and feed the dog. Or is it feed wife kick dog. Whatever. I will figure it out.
I love new technology. I think that's the difference. I also love my new cell phone. I end the day by watching some live TV on it in bed. My PC was over $2K with tax so I think we are talking different capabilities when compared to a $300 machine. The video card alone was over $500.

I'll wait until my work PC gets upgraded to Windows 11 (or is replaced with 11 on it) before I think about it at home or for my parents PC.

I think generally the Windows 10 utility that determines if your machine qualifies for a Windows 11 upgrade is a good barometer of whether or not the upgrade is worth it and if the user experience will not be compromised.

My primary desktop is nearly 12 years old and working like a champ, and not eligible for upgrade. My wife has a fairly new laptop that was upgraded. She has no issues with Windows 11, and from what I see, there are no substantial features that I am missing out on.

The first problem with staying on Windows 10 is going to be lack of security updates when Microsoft drop support in about 3 years time. Then a few years after that Chrome and Mozilla will stop issuing updates for it, and at that point you're buggered. I speak as someone still trying to use Vista where the lack of browser updates is a far bigger issue than lack of Windows updates.

Sounds like Apple Music will (FINALLY!!!) get a native Windows app next year... and it will be a Windows 11 exclusive app. All we know about it at the moment is that it's coming next year, we don't know if Atmos/5.1/quad will be supported through it. It's already "up" on the Windows store for the Xbox versions which are out now, which is the same as the PS5 version... lossy stereo only at the moment. One would hope that the delay will give the developers time for Lossless, High Res Lossless... and most important of all... ATMOS!

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...d-tv-get-deeper-windows-and-xbox-integration/

I see it as a scam. Every time you upgrade the OS, you have to buy new software too and often a new computer.

There should be a law that requires backward compatibility.

In all of the years I used MS-DOS, I had to replace only 3 programs due to an MS-DOS upgrade.

MS also changed the wonderful Paint program I used to use to do schematics into a horror designed for an artist used to oil colors. They even changed the color set from the scientific primaries to the emotional primaries "the masters" used.

Last edited:
I will go ahead an share my experience with Windows because it is around midnight and I have nothing else on my mind. I got 3 active computers.

My oldest is an HP laptop that came with a pronouncement that Windows 7 is pre-installed. Every version of windows since was just terrible until Windows 10 can along. When I did the Windows 11 compatibility check it was not pretty. It will stay at 10 (Still a lot of folks still use 7 with no problems).

The next computer was the one I built from parts from Microcenter and Amazon that I used at work before retirement. When doing the compatibility test, only the lack of a TPM failed the unit.
This computer would be a good candidate for a USB TPM dongle (Which most of what I have read is not possible, but I have found not to underestimate the possibility that someone will crack the problem).

My current main computer was also a home built unit. It has an ASUS motherboard that had a TPM header. At the time there was no TPM modules available.
This is a fairly old unit and when 11 started appearing and the importance of having TPM came very apparent, then I went to buy a TPM module only to find out that stores are no longer offering them. So the scramble to find on on Amazon or Ebay. Of course there are a few different header versions. I did find one, plenty are available, installed it and then did the hassle to activate it, all is well with Windows 11. For what I do there is no reason for Windows 11, there are a few differences from10 but all in all it is very smooth. It even still has Windows 7 backup utility although they moved its location from settings to control panel-system and security.

Bottom line, if your computer is up-gradable to 11 then don't be too concerned about doing it. If not up-gradable, then 10 will be usable for a long time.

Don't upgrade to 11. I have seen enough horror stories.

Windows 10 is already extremely bad as it is, and if Windows 7 wasn't defunct (in support for technologies and security) I would still be using that.

Windows 11 is a worse, buggier reskin of Windows 10 designed for Gen Z who doesn't understand basic file structure. It also has an unnecessary TPM requirement intended to drive up hardware sales.

Also, eligibility to upgrade to 11 doesn't mean crap shoot for system capability. My friend is running a 16-core 32-thread system that is ineligible for Windows 11 but his dinky little laptop that struggles to run Chrome is.

This reminds me of the still debate on whether to upgrade from Tubes to Solid State and Phono Records to CDs. :)
Hopefully Microsoft won't totally force a windows 11 machine or no programs that we all use today will work.

This reminds me of the still debate on whether to upgrade from Tubes to Solid State and Phono Records to CDs. :)
Hopefully Microsoft won't totally force a windows 11 machine or no programs that we all use today will work.
That debate still continues. I use a home built tube preamplifier it's the best that I've ever heard! Because of the loudness wars vinyl often sounds much better than CD! :) Goes without saying that CD has far greater potential than what we have been getting!

My "newest" computer is not capable of being "updated" to Windows 11.:( It seems every new version of Windows breaks something or screws something up!:mad: I still have to run the odd program in Windows 7, which I much prefer over Win10 anyway! That reminds me that I need to set up one of my old "obsolete" computers to run XP, there are a few old programs that I haven't been able to use in years!

I will reiterate that I have not had one issue with Windows 11 on my new PC. I think this is the key. If you are getting new hardware for sure go with Windows 11. If you have older hardware, then stick with Windows 10. Things will likely work themselves out by the time that support for Windows 10 is removed as that old hardware will likely need an upgrade anyway. Being a gamer I have found that 5 years is pretty much it for a PC. Then the old one moves down to downloading and Plex server and other tasks and the new one to run all things new and shiny. Windows 11 is a champ at that.

Last edited:
Performance advances of PCs has slowed so much in recent years that unless you are a games player, a 15 year old PC is entirely usable for many things. Especially if you swap out the disc for an SSD.
True...but good luck playing 4k content on one. My office PC is closing in on being that old and it's functional for basic stuff but not much more.

Back