Yes "Fragile": DVD-A/BluRay Out October 30th (Remixed by Steven Wilson)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Rhino one? Ouch, that's probably the worst sounding. You'll love the flat transfer for the original mix. :)

Thanks, but I've usually never listened to the original stereo mix after getting these definitive Blu-Ray editions with the new mixes.
I usually just play the new mixes and occasionally will venture into the bonus material, but that's usually about it.

Thanks, but I've usually never listened to the original stereo mix after getting these definitive Blu-Ray editions with the new mixes.
I usually just play the new mixes and occasionally will venture into the bonus material, but that's usually about it.

Agree. In fact, I always just play the new 5.1 mix so I'll buy the dvda - all that extra stuff on the blu-ray is wasted on me.

Agree. In fact, I always just play the new 5.1 mix so I'll buy the dvda - all that extra stuff on the blu-ray is wasted on me.

I'm buying both cause I want all of the extras the Blu-Ray offers, but I want the DVDA for its better casing.
(Plus I can use the DVDA for computer and Acura use too) :)

I listen to both mixes, because I like to compare their relative strengths and weaknesses. And of course I "grew up" with the original mixes, so a new and cleaner presentation of them (and in Hi-Res!) is a great bonus to me.

I listen to both mixes, because I like to compare their relative strengths and weaknesses. And of course I "grew up" with the original mixes, so a new and cleaner presentation of them (and in Hi-Res!) is a great bonus to me.

Not to mention that in some cases when you're helping SW out on these remixes, you're going back and forth between the old and new stereo mixes quite a bit I can imagine. :)

Wow. Different strokes. I can't think of a remix that has replaced an original mix in my listening, especially if it was an Eddie Offord mix. The 2ch remixes are just 'alternate' versions to me.

Wow. Different strokes. I can't think of a remix that has replaced an original mix in my listening, especially if it was an Eddie Offord mix. The 2ch remixes are just 'alternate' versions to me.

That's why it's good that all of these sets featuring remixes from Steven Wilson still contain the original mixes and usually in their best quality too.
I can imagine a lot of fans would be upset if the original mixes were thrown out, like they were for the Genesis reissues.

Not to mention that in some cases when you're helping SW out on these remixes, you're going back and forth between the old and new stereo mixes quite a bit I can imagine. :)

For Yes, XTC, or the 80s stuff, indeed I do!
For Tull, Gentle Giant and the other 70s Prog, they are so ingrained in my memory that most of the time I actually don't need to listen to the original mixes again, except to verify specific little details here and there. Although I must say Minstrel in the Gallery was the one I got back to the most because the original mix was always a bit wonky. It seems it's the Tull remix (besides Aqualung) people are the most happy with. :)

For Yes, XTC, or the 80s stuff, indeed I do!
For Tull, Gentle Giant and the other 70s Prog, they are so ingrained in my memory that most of the time I actually don't need to listen to the original mixes again, except to verify specific little details here and there. Although I must say Minstrel in the Gallery was the one I got back to the most because the original mix was always a bit wonky. It seems it's the Tull remix (besides Aqualung) people are the most happy with. :)

Yes, I for one am very happy with the remix of "Minstrel", especially since it's been in my top 3 favorite Tull albums for quite some time.
I'm not as big of a fan of "Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll", but I hope that I can grow to love that album more when the remix is released in about two months' time. :)

Yes, I for one am very happy with the remix of "Minstrel", especially since it's been in my top 3 favorite Tull albums for quite some time.
I'm not as big of a fan of "Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll", but I hope that I can grow to love that album more when the remix is released in about two months' time. :)
In only a couple months time huh. Now that's sooner than expected or is this official? If that be the case then let's hope some other remixes could be on the horizon for other specific albums.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

My favorite Tull album is Minstrel, haven't got it yet but I rank Benefit as perhaps Stevens finest Tull remix so far. Oh, lots of Tull talk in a Yes thread, I just pre-ordered Fragile bluray btw!

Different strokes indeed! Steven Wilson's stereo mix is my preferred in 90% of the cases. Especially the Jethro Tull and King Crimson mixes.

Replaced replaced? Not sure if I can name one entire album. Probably a few songs themselves though (probably other than EO mixes).

I have to say that the Yes 5.1 remixes have stuff going on that goes beyond what's possible with stereo and further, these arrangements really deserve the space to be heard that way. I usually can't stand remixes done after the period but these are one of the rare exceptions for me. I'm impressed at the many cases of nuances from the original mix being respected to a very high level.

I'm usually equally excited to get the HD transfer of the original stereo mix as the SW 5.1 remix.

The stereo remix would appear to exist as a calling card for the 5.1 remix for those without a surround system. I'll always listen to the stereo originals especially from the heavy weight guys like EO when I listen to stereo. I've been hooked on these 5.1 remixes though. :)

There's still stuff in some of the original mixes that holds its weight against any remix regardless of format. At the same time, many of these 5.1 mixes are just phenomenally good and succeed in taking things to the next level IMHO. I've heard many DVDA's with just awful 5.1 remixes. Same thing back in the day with awful stereo remixes of what were great mono mixes. (And yes, a few quad mixes that despite my love of surround sound, are absolutely terrible.) These Yes remixes have been first class productions. Can't wait for this one!

The reissue sets that omit the originals (or only include them in reduced quality)?
Definitely kind of tacky. Greedy record companies wanting to sell each format as its own item because they can get away with it? Or just aloof to the original and only thinking about the new version here and now? Not everyone releases such a comprehensive definitive edition and that makes these Yes releases that much more special.

In only a couple months time huh. Now that's sooner than expected or is this official? If that be the case then let's hope some other remixes could be on the horizon for other specific albums.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

There's already listings for a 4-disc edition of "Too Old…" on the French and German amazon websites with a release date of November 27, 2015, so I'm guessing more definitive info should be coming soon from Jethro Tull HQ. :)

A new clip from the remix. This time it's "Heart of the Sunrise" and it's labeled properly as a remix! :)
[video=youtube;BgjzLrJIJHA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgjzLrJIJHA[/video]

Duplicate post…Ugh…still can't believe this is going on…I was also on a pretty good streak of not getting a duplicate for quite sometime…

But I can say something else constructive about "Fragile". In this remixed clip, it seems even more obvious that Squire and Wakeman are out of time at the very beginning of this clip. Did it always sound this off or I am just hearing it as I have never heard it before?

Back