Your Top 5 Demo Discs of All-Time (Surround Sound Concerts & Music Videos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
When wowing your guests, or auditioning new HT equipment, what are your Top 5 demo-worthy DVD-video or blu-ray discs of music videos or concerts?

My Top 5 are:

1.) ELTON 60 - Elton John (blu-ray)
Still the best picture and sound quality I've yet to encounter in a music title on home video.

2.) The Monster Ball Tour at Madison Square Garden - Lady GaGa (blu-ray)
Video quality so good you feel like you can reach out and touch her! A wonderfully balanced surround sound mix. This is exceptional!

3.) Glee 3D - The cast of Glee (blu-ray)
I know it's strictly speaking a film.. but so much of it is concert footage and it looks and more importantly sounds incredible!! My little subwoofer never had such a workout til I got this!!

4.) Live At Last - Stevie Wonder (blu-ray)
I've heard others say the mix is compressed and not upto much but I disagree, the picture and sound are exemplary. Like the Elton BD, the surround mix is mainly ambience plus audience but the fidelity is superb and in a concert setting the mix really works - and the PQ more of the lifelike nature blu-ray and high-def spoils us with.

5.) Greatest Video Hits 1 - Queen (DVD)
The picture quality is of course hamstrung by the sources available but the fantastic DTS surround mixes of hit (after hit after hit!) mean this is one of my most treasured discs.

Over to you!

35fb7001-32a9-46d7-a1af-719d8e0a9187.jpg
1- Alive in Seattle - Heart Blu-Ray Best performance, sound & picture quality.

sondheim_company.jpg
2- Sondheim: Company (revival cast w/Raul Esparza) Blu-Ray I saw this cast TWICE on Broadway. It's THAT good! Sondheim's best musical. No orchestra, the cast plays ALL the instruments. Raul Esparza OWNS the role of Bobby.

0000930.jpeg
3- Red Piano - Elton John Blu-Ray I saw this at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. Spectacular visuals!

2798342blu-ray_last_waltz.jpg
4- The Last Waltz - The Band w/Dylan, Clapton, Muddy Waters, Staples Singers, Joni Mitchell, Neil Diamond, Ronnie Hawkins, Neil Young, Dr. John, Emmylou Harris, Ringo & Ronnie Wood Blu-Ray The best rock and roll movie EVER!

bd-steviewonder.jpg
5- Live at Last - Stevie Wonder Blu-Ray

Attachments

• 014381495355.jpg
    014381495355.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 80
I remember that Heart was available as an HD DVD and I beleive also as an sacd MC. Never picked it up. It will go well with my new dbx lp.........

Nine Inch Nails - Beside You In Time (HD DVD & BD). Nothing else even comes close as far as the combination of musical content and a/v quality.

Back