Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Surround Sound SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the 5.1. Much better than Guthrie's attempt at Dark Side of the Moon. The bass is incredible as well. Nice and tight and ever present. Welcome To The Machine gave me chills down my back.

Aargh... The link to Fedex in Acoustic Sound's order confrimation is wrong. It's not tracking by reference but by tracking number. My packet is in local sorting facility now.

Ordered mine from Elusive Disc in Indiana on Wednesday. Package showed up yesterday via USPS Express Mail.

But who knows, the DSOTM SACD is probably the least rare SACD out there.

Probably because its the best selling SACD in history. Brothers In Arms is the same as it sold in bucketloads. Its the ones that sold in the 1000s that are worth the big bucks now.

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition."

LOL, reminds me of a certain Monty Python episode :D

Fedex phoned me today to advise on 24€ import taxes and handling. Apparently a private handling company is allowed to charge 17€ per shipment, so for small ones the cost gets quite absurd.

Greetings one and all. FANTASTIC FORUM!!!!!!

Received WYWH SACD yesterday from Elusive disc. Just over a week to the UK and didn't get clipped by the customs. YAY!

I love it. The radio coming out of back right just before Wish You Were Here is wonderful and unexpected.

However (and I REALLY hope I'm wrong here) I think there's a technical issue with it.

Firstly my kit....A Denon AVC A11-SR Old but much loved. It doesn't have HDMI but does have 7.1 Line-Ins combined with a "Direct Mode" that switches everything off and passes everything through from the line-ins to the speakers, ie no base management.
Denon DVD 1940 takes care of the SACD & DVD-A duties. Liked to the amp via the line-in/outs
Sony DPM-BD55 does the Blu-Rays, once again through the line-in/outs.

Jamo 7.1 THX Ultra speakers. The Sub Base in this set-up stays on standby until it gets a signal and wakes up. This is signified by the red light on the front turning from red to green (and of course sound coming out of it!)

So, upon play the WYWH SACD, with the amp set to "Direct" it was somewhat disconcerting that the Sub-Base never came on!
After a brief moments confusion, I wondered about setup, so I reached for the DSOTM SACD to check that everything was Ok and sure enough, the Sub kicked in straight away, before the heartbeats were even audible.

This led me to wonder if, what appear to be in fact a 5.0 WYWH, was an artistic decision so I put on the Blu-Ray from the Immersion Box (yes I know. I bought them both. I couldn't help myself) and guess what...the base stayed off until about 4.30 in what Nick steps up to the plate with the drums at whick point the base woke up!

SO...as far as I can see...the SACD does in fact have no .1 channel encoded on it, unlike the supposedly identical mix from the Immersion Box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE TELL ME I'M WRONG. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO SEND IT BACK.

Rorschach

Rorschach,

Interesting find. I did look at the wav files of the Blu-Ray, because that's a bit easier to do than extracting from an SACD, and have to say that the center and sub were quite diminished compared to the 4 main channels. However, the SACD may be different, or more diminished.

Anyone rip the SACD yet to view the wav files? (Can this even be done without just recording the audio?)

Rorschach,

Interesting find. I did look at the wav files of the Blu-Ray, because that's a bit easier to do than extracting from an SACD, and have to say that the center and sub were quite diminished compared to the 4 main channels. However, the SACD may be different, or more diminished.

Anyone rip the SACD yet to view the wav files? (Can this even be done without just recording the audio?)

Yes it can, but it requires a certain model PS3 that's not been updated to firmware past 3.55. Hacked firmware and PS3 keys, compiling, etc etc. The other problem is the PS3 versions required usually have the dreaded Yellow Light of Death (YLoD). So it's not an easy task to rip SACD, but it can be done. Google PS3 SACD rip.

A_L

Rorschach you're wrong. There, now you feel better. I believe what we're dealing with here is the difference between DVDA and SACD. I checked my setup, also Denon, and the SACD does have an LFE (SW) channel. It might be empty but there is one there.

SACD typically has bass frequencies at a very low volume level. That's why Denon players have an audio setup feature to increase the SW volume by +10dB for use with SACD. For use with DVDA (PCM) this SW volume boost is unnecessary.

So I popped in the WYWH SACD, cranked up the SW volume by +5dB and the SW light lit at 4:36. I cranked up the SW volume to +10dB and the SW light lit from the beginning of the disc, but the bass was boomy and too much for my liking.

I believe if you increase your SACD SW listening level by +5dB, you'll have an enjoyable listening experience with the WYWH SACD. Just remember to turn it back down when playing the Blu-Ray version or the DVDA version.

Hope this helps.

George.........YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's all good. Although my Denon player does not have the Sub-increase function that you mentioned, what I did was to reduce everything else by -12dB and then increased the master volume on the amp and HEY PRESTO!!! The red light became green, at exactly the same place as the Blu Ray:cool::cool::cool::cool:

I have to say I feel like a right amateur now and that's over and above the REAL shame of having to consult the player's manual, which is against my religious beliefs:yikes

Still everything is now functioning as it should. I'll just crawl back to the lurkers corner now.

Move along now....There's nothing to see here:eek::eek::eek:

Rorschach

Rorschach you're wrong. There, now you feel better. I believe what we're dealing with here is the difference between DVDA and SACD. I checked my setup, also Denon, and the SACD does have an LFE (SW) channel. It might be empty but there is one there.

SACD typically has bass frequencies at a very low volume level. That's why Denon players have an audio setup feature to increase the SW volume by +10dB for use with SACD. For use with DVDA (PCM) this SW volume boost is unnecessary.

So I popped in the WYWH SACD, cranked up the SW volume by +5dB and the SW light lit at 4:36. I cranked up the SW volume to +10dB and the SW light lit from the beginning of the disc, but the bass was boomy and too much for my liking.

I believe if you increase your SACD SW listening level by +5dB, you'll have an enjoyable listening experience with the WYWH SACD. Just remember to turn it back down when playing the Blu-Ray version or the DVDA version.

Hope this helps.

Just for the record, Denon (in the manual for my 3808 receiver and other Denon receiver manuals I've read) also recommends that the .1 LFE mix level to the sub be set at 0db (full level) for all forms of DTS and Dolby Digital on DVD/Blu-ray's, but for DTS audio CD's, the .1 LFE mix level to the sub should be lowered to -10db. The instruction manual for my very old Yamaha DSP-A1 receiver also had the same recommendation when playing DTS CD's VS playing DTS DVD's.

Rorschach,

FYI
Screenshots of the waveforms, spectrograms and the DR statistics of a WYWH SACD DSD2PCM conversion: http://www.sendspace.com/file/cdx31a

Must be selling quite well on SACD. I went to order it and it says "Awaiting Repress" on the Music Direct site. I was going to add it to my order for another SACD that they have in stock that everyone else is out of. When might this repress be done? Next year?

Only Acoustic Sounds has it in stock Nobody else.

Still everything is now functioning as it should. I'll just crawl back to the lurkers corner now.

Move along now....There's nothing to see here:eek::eek::eek:

Rorschach

Please feel free to chime in whenever you want. Its a pretty good group of folks here. Helpful, funny, never too serious.

Back