ELP Emerson Lake & Palmer Cataloge in 5.1 Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a big classical fan,too and was a Chicago Symphony season subscriber for many years. ELP's classical leanings have excited me. I love Pictures, and their interpretations of Copland and Joplin on the Works albums.

Can't wait for Tarkus & Pictures in 5.1.

I must say that in some cases I don't even know whether I prefer the original classical versions themselves or what ELP did with them. For instance, I prefer ELP's Hoedown and Fanfare for the common man than the original versions by Copland (please forgive me the purists). But I can't decide between ELP's Canario and the "Canario" movement from "Fantasia para un gentilhombre" by Rodrigo.

I must say that in some cases I don't even know whether I prefer the original classical versions themselves or what ELP did with them. For instance, I prefer ELP's Hoedown and Fanfare for the common man than the original versions by Copland (please forgive me the purists). But I can't decide between ELP's Canario and the "Canario" movement from "Fantasia para un gentilhombre" by Rodrigo.

i used to listen ELP's interpretation of classical and even enjoyed, till i started to listen classical music as it is.
now i can't, they sound too much pompous and pretentious.

I'm a big classical fan,too and was a Chicago Symphony season subscriber for many years. ELP's classical leanings have excited me. I love Pictures, and their interpretations of Copland and Joplin on the Works albums. Can't wait for Tarkus & Pictures in 5.1.
I love Toccata on BSS too!!!

Pre-ordered both from Wow HD Au @ A$17 posted each. This must be a bargain for anyone in Australia who is interested. Although listed as 2CD + DVD-V, I imagine this just means they know no better? They can be slow to deliver but they've not let me down and I've bought lots of stuff from them in the past. Just awaiting delivery of my Peter Green 4CD Anthology that I ordered fom them last week

I had pre-ordered via Amazon UK, but I've now pre-ordered via WOW HD NZ (NZ$19 shipped), and with two discount vouchers the total comes to NZ $35 for both rather than about $42 at Amazon UK, either way these 3 disc sets (incl. DVD-A) are an amazing deal....

Full catalogue would even include "Black Moon" and "In the Hot Seat", wouldn't it?
Not that I'm particularly anxious to hear exquisite verses (and music) like "What we need's a little redirection to find our blue lagoon" in 5.1 ;)

But I do want to see the rest of the '70s albums "honored". Hope someone else here likes (as I do) "Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman", "Canario", "So Far to Fall" and other "obscure" and underrated ELP.

I think we are getting carried away here.
ELP's best albums were WBMF and earlier. I liked Works Vol 1 also but there is absolutley NO way they are going beyond WBMF. And I doubt that WBMF will ever see the light of day either way.
Just hope we also get Trilogy and PAAE and we will be lucky.

tarkusnj, do you think even WBMF won't make it because of the missing quads or there's another fact?
Regarding the albums after WBMF, you think they won't make it because they won't sale as they should?

tarkusnj, do you think even WBMF won't make it because of the missing quads or there's another fact?
Regarding the albums after WBMF, you think they won't make it because they won't sale as they should?

I think if they do any more ELP albums after the first 2, they will do Trilogy and maybe PAAE and then the enthusiasm for the project will dwindle, probably due to lack of sales.
WBMF not being released would fall to the wayside and we'll never know if the tapes were available or not. Rhino had announced they were doing WBMF back around 2002 or 3 and nothing ever happened.
Maybe Steven or Neil on here could give us a clue to what may be coming next...

Hello all,

Just felt the need to clarify something about the postage charges.

1) We charge Royal Mail prices & it's all based on weight - we have to do that because unlike some online retailers we pay full whack for what we buy (not cutting bands/labels to the bone just to "up their numbers") and in many cases we voluntarily pay artists a royalty on top of that too. This means we don't make a killing on the prices we charge.

2) If you order a few titles that are on pre-order you get charged for each item shipping individually. Different titles and even different versions of the same thing can come in to us on different days so separate mailing is the only way. That's just on pre-orders though - wait until whatever you're after is on general sale and the cost will come down as we can combine shipping. We use "pre-orders" as a gauge but always buy in more so you won't lose out!

Any questions about this or anything at all? Please always feel free to email me on [email protected] and if I can't answer I'll find someone who can ;~)

Have a lovely day,

Lisa

I think if they do any more ELP albums after the first 2, they will do Trilogy and maybe PAAE and then the enthusiasm for the project will dwindle, probably due to lack of sales.
WBMF not being released would fall to the wayside and we'll never know if the tapes were available or not. Rhino had announced they were doing WBMF back around 2002 or 3 and nothing ever happened.

I see your point. Now I get the picture. So even PAAE and Trilogy are no certain thing!

sadly, tarkus, i fear your prediction will probably turn out to be spot on and the series will be dropped before they get around to WBMF :(

not wanting to speak for Neil or Steven, or speaking out of turn.. but they are usually bound by the labels not to discuss upcoming releases until the record company make their own announcements, or are happy for those involved to do so.

what fascinates me is how artists & series such as all those SACDs/DVDAs by the Mute label get completed (smaller British label, artists like DM/Nick Cave etc, that i doubt sell more or much more than, say, ELP, nowadays at any rate).

it just reinforces the viewpoint that if we are going to get complete back catalogues in surround now, the smaller labels, like AP or MoFi are prime candidates.. they're seemingly so tramelled on a stereo path, they dip their toe in the water with rehashes of old 5.1 mixes that have already been released, which serves only those who don't already own the old releases.. ultimately getting the majority of us nowhere! :(

I suppose the case of Genesis, in which nearly their entire catalogue was released on SACD (2007-2008), is something quite rare. I was that enthusiastic about seeing WBMF released and later albums of ELP because I had Genesis "case" as parameter.

But maybe, if we can assume multichannel is "expading" in terms of market, eventually we'll see ELP entire catalogue on multichannel, even though it might not (probably won't) happen with the label that's working on it at the moment, and even though it might not be Hi Res when it happens.

I say so because things like that happened with the Red Book CD market in the '90s and with TV series DVD market in the '00s. I remember longing to see WBMF and Love Beach released on CD, and indeed they were the last ELP old albums to be released worldwide, but they were indeed released. I remember longing to see many TV series released on DVD, and look now how many were released...

buuuu--- I just got this email.

Burning Shed said:
Many thanks for buying one or both of the 2012 Emerson, Lake & Palmer cd/dvd reissues from Burning Shed.

We've just been informed by Sony, the record label behind the reissues, that the release date has been put back to August 27th.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards,

Lisa Quattromini

i know... but its still being pushed further away... hopefully Trilogy and PAAE will be put out there sooner and not in 365 days form the firs releases...

i know... but its still being pushed further away... hopefully Trilogy and PAAE will be put out there sooner and not in 365 days form the firs releases...

Be happy we are getting the first two albums...I doubt we will actually see any more releases but my prefs would be Trilogy then PAAE... or PAAE then Trilogy!
There is no hope for WBMF...you can take that to the bank.

Be happy we are getting the first two albums...I doubt we will actually see any more releases but my prefs would be Trilogy then PAAE... or PAAE then Trilogy!
There is no hope for WBMF...you can take that to the bank.
I really wish you would quit being a Debbie Downer. At this point you have no information to back it up other than your pessimism

Last edited:
Back