MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnny Hallyday - A La Vie, A La Mort! - HFPA Blu-ray

Thanks for the tip Fredblue - The SACD is hard to find....
001 (600 x 373).jpg

Johnny Hallyday - A La Vie, A La Mort! - HFPA Blu-ray

Well I am having more faith in Wikipedia now, indeed I have never heard of him and he sounds like he is a big star, at least in certain areas, so his nickname seems to be valid "the biggest rock star you have never heard of".

then again, now I have heard of him, is it still valid :mad:@:

Well I am having more faith in Wikipedia now, indeed I have never heard of him and he sounds like he is a big star, at least in certain areas, so his nickname seems to be valid "the biggest rock star you have never heard of".

then again, now I have heard of him, is it still valid :mad:@:

I took a "chanson" getting it.... :D

Very french pop....

Alter Bridge: Live in Amsterdam. Very compressed and front heavy, great performance though.

Peter Gabriel's 'Back To Front'. Wow.

Quite a few highlights, but the version of 'Secret World' is an absolute cracker.

Who Quadrophenia arrived today from amazon. Was shipped on Saturday, so that's pretty quick. And I don't even have Prime. Sticker on back says MADE IN FRANCE. Do they all say that?

Who Quadrophenia arrived today from amazon. Was shipped on Saturday, so that's pretty quick. And I don't even have Prime. Sticker on back says MADE IN FRANCE. Do they all say that?

Ooh la la..! :p No sticker on my standalone.. but I was pleasantly surprised to see the Quadrophenia Set (shaped like a Lambretta headlamp) was Made in the U.S.A.

Mine also. This was also the first one where I noticed it didn't follow the HFPA standard of auto-playing and just having a static menu. I was surprised that the stereo didn't start playing automatically, and that it also has a screen saver gallery of pictures.

Mine also. This was also the first one where I noticed it didn't follow the HFPA standard of auto-playing and just having a static menu. I was surprised that the stereo didn't start playing automatically, and that it also has a screen saver gallery of pictures.

They seem to be breaking their rule of: "Pure audio no video content"....

I finally got the bluray for Pink Floyd's WYWH and sounds really good.
One thing I didn't realise that James Guthrie's mix should really be called a 4 or 4.1 shouldn't it as not very much stuff going on in the centre channel.
I did not pay attention on DSOTM Sacd years ago but after listening to the WYWH put a few minutes of DSOTM on as well and same thing no centre channel.
So essentially James G and Andy J. have the same philosophy in surround mixing to not use the centre chanel for music, to bad I think Elliot S,Steven Wilson,Ronald P. as well as many others have proven that using all 5.1 is best way to go.

peter

I finally got the bluray for Pink Floyd's WYWH and sounds really good.
One thing I didn't realise that James Guthrie's mix should really be called a 4 or 4.1 shouldn't it as not very much stuff going on in the centre channel.
I did not pay attention on DSOTM Sacd years ago but after listening to the WYWH put a few minutes of DSOTM on as well and same thing no centre channel.
So essentially James G and Andy J. have the same philosophy in surround mixing to not use the centre chanel for music, to bad I think Elliot S,Steven Wilson,Ronald P. as well as many others have proven that using all 5.1 is best way to go.

peter

Your not saying that Andy J. mix of Division Bell is equal to the James G. mix of WYWH because of the fact that they both don't use the center channel are you? That is flawed logic. The center channel is not a measure of how good or bad an overall mix will be.

For me it is. Given that any said mix is mixed well, I'm definitely in the camp that believes the 5.1 format produces a better surround experience then 4.1. Maybe it is because my front 3 speakers are identical.

Don't most people use three front identical speakers? I cannot tell whether the center speaker is on when I'm listening to a 4.0, 4.1 or 5.1 mix. I have to literally walk up to the center speaker to hear if it's on or off (phantom image) because I sit in the sweet spot with these mixes. So, for me, it doesn't matter if the center channel is used or not in a surround mix. Sounds the same.

Your not saying that Andy J. mix of Division Bell is equal to the James G. mix of WYWH because of the fact that they both don't use the center channel are you? That is flawed logic. The center channel is not a measure of how good or bad an overall mix will be.

Here is my logic.
Of all the comparison's of a quad to 5.1 mix I have preferred the 5.1's every time if we are talking about fantastic mixes.
I do agree with Jon Urban's comment that he would take a fantastic quad mix over a poor 5.1 any day, and I would agree.
I am talking about people that are great at mixing albums and I can't see how if you have a whole sound field of 5.1 speakers and mix was done accordingly that it wouldn't be better than a 4.0 mix.
When it comes to quad mixes, we have a Alan Parson's mix from 40 years ago and a James Guthrie mix 30 years later and most people prefer the Alan Parson's mix, so this is a comment on who is doing the mixes as James Guthrie could have used the centre canel but he choose not to for most of the mix.
I don't yet have Andy J. TDB as I am waiting for a stand alone bluray(I might have to wait a while) but I do have the David Gilmour On a Island(DVDV) and I think between hearing that mix as well as the 2 James Guthrie mixes, I think they could have been better if they had been mixed into 5.1. I just got the Gentle Giant bluray and it sounds amazing in 5.1, wish Pink Floyd could have gotten that kind of mix done to it.
Having said that I am still happy to have Andy J's and James Guthrie mixes.

peter

Back