MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny as I was reading the posts on this thread I just happen to have Genesis Selling England By The Pound (blu ray audio) playing in the background and I decided to revisit Peter Gabriel Live In Athens 1987(blu ray concert). I identify more with Peter's solo career than his time with Genesis. The songs like Shock The Monkey, Games Without Frontiers, Solsbury Hill, Sledgehammer and of course my favorites Red Rain and In Your Eyes. It's hard to watch this Athens concert because of his stage antics; I guess he's better heard than seen. I didn't like New Blood at all and I'm probably not going to buy any of his recent stuff. When I think of Genesis the first person that comes to mind is Phil Collins and the next is Mike Rutherford.

[video=youtube;XQvlMksjHM8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQvlMksjHM8[/video]

If you haven't done so already, I would check out a few previews of the Back to Front concert film before deciding if it isn't right for you.
It's certainly a lot more exciting than New Blood, and he has drastically cut down on the amount of stage theatrics in recent years, making it the most enjoyable concert film of his to watch for me.

Also, I agree in that I tend to think more of Phil Collins when thinking of Genesis than Gabriel.

[video=youtube;XQvlMksjHM8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQvlMksjHM8[/video]

If you haven't done so already, I would check out a few previews of the Back to Front concert film before deciding if it isn't right for you.
It's certainly a lot more exciting than New Blood, and he has drastically cut down on the amount of stage theatrics in recent years, making it the most enjoyable concert film of his to watch for me.

Also, I agree in that I tend to think more of Phil Collins when thinking of Genesis than Gabriel.

When it comes to vocals I'm pretty demanding. These older lead singers have to prove they still can deliver; and most can't. Some are smart about it and recognize their deficiencies and rely on back up singers to help them; a good man knows his limitations...but others...well...they continue to embarrass themselves. Music is a very subjective thing to evaluate but vocals shouldn't be; but I see it all the time on here and other places that some of us don't like to give up on our music heroes when their vocals go south. I'll probably just stick with that 1987 concert.

When it comes to vocals I'm pretty demanding. These older lead singers have to prove they still can deliver; and most can't. Some are smart about it and recognize their deficiencies and rely on back up singers to help them; a good man knows his limitations...but others...well...they continue to embarrass themselves. Music is a very subjective thing to evaluate but vocals shouldn't be; but I see it all the time on here and other places that some of us don't like to give up on our music heroes when their vocals go south. I'll probably just stick with that 1987 concert.
Just how I feel about too. People will still pay to see Gabriel, McCartney, and Jagger - trying to relive the past I guess. Anne Murray, granted certainly a different genre, had one of the most beautiful voices in the world - selling 54 million albums- but she packed it in when she was 63 when she could still sing. To me that's the way to go out.

Glad to see you adding IMO to that last statement cause that's exactly what it is.
Many like myself love both parts of Peter's career (Genesis and solo). Tracks like "Family Snapshot", "No Self Control", "Red Rain", "Digging in the Dirt", and "Family and the Fishing Net" are just as good as a lot of the material he did with Genesis. He (IMO) has the best solo career of any Genesis member by far.
On the other hand, there are several people I know who love Gabriel's solo career but don't really understand or like any of the Genesis material.
To each his own.

I'm in agreement with your post, except for the part about him having the best solo career by far. I've always been a huge admirer of the man and his music, but looking at solo careers in totality, and certainly prolificacy, then for myself I have to give the nod to Steve Hackett.

When I think of Genesis the first person that comes to mind is Phil Collins and the next is Mike Rutherford.

That's kind of shocking to me - I guess you are young enough to not have experienced the Gabriel era in the flesh... We are all biased, of course, but without Gabriel I would only own one genesis record, Trick of the Tail, and for me this is the most Gabriel influenced album without Gabriel (not so strange since it is the first one after Gabriel's departure). I like some of the solo ouput from the other members, bit for me it is no contest.

I have "Back To Front" & "New Blood" Blu-ray discs and prefer the latter for sound and the former overall. Peter Gabriel is a bit too much dramatic live for my tastes. So, these will not be viewed too frequently.

Did you by any chance buy the Deluxe version? If so you can enjoy the CD's and skip the video. I had a listen to those last night and I must say that the mastering and sound quality on those are absolute stellar.

That's kind of shocking to me - I guess you are young enough to not have experienced the Gabriel era in the flesh... We are all biased, of course, but without Gabriel I would only own one genesis record, Trick of the Tail, and for me this is the most Gabriel influenced album without Gabriel (not so strange since it is the first one after Gabriel's departure). I like some of the solo ouput from the other members, bit for me it is no contest.

Everyone has their own personal tastes and experiences. I am too young to have lived through the Gabriel era (but I was lucky enough to have seen Gabriel with Genesis at their one off reunion at Milton Keynes Bowl in 1982 :)), however when I think of Genesis the first person that comes to mind is Peter Gabriel and the next is Steve Hackett!!

Been spinning the Fillmore East Recordings Box set.

Not the most surroundy of 5.1 mixes but cracking sound and great set, the icing on the cake for this set would have been the inclusion of the original Quad mix, but I have the DTS CD for all its faults.

I was lucky enough to have seen Gabriel with Genesis at their one off reunion at Milton Keynes Bowl in 1982 :)),

your-a-very-lucky-man.png

Did you by any chance buy the Deluxe version? If so you can enjoy the CD's and skip the video. I had a listen to those last night and I must say that the mastering and sound quality on those are absolute stellar.

Fortunately, no. With the exception of "So", I'm not a big Gabriel fan. I took the chance with the "New Blood" Blu-ray when it first came out and thought I'd try "Back To Front".

I'm more a fan of later Genesis work with Phil Collins but I like the early Genesis too. Even though I prefer Phil Collins body of work over Peter Gabriel, I will be the first to admit, Gabriel was/is a creative genius.

More pix of the new Mando Diao BD-A (5.1 & 3D Auro 9.1)..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 156
New Mando Diao HFPA uses the "Pure Audio" interface. Nice and simple. Hit the coloured button on your remote control and away you go (Yellow = Stereo, Red = 5.1, Blue = 9.1).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 137
Back