Opeth - Pale Communion 5.1 (Blu-ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to a mastering engineer on Hoffman's forums, Wilson was informed of the problem and, as suspected, it didn't come from his end. Likewise, Paschal Byrne's mastering of the 5.1 wasn't the issue:

Paschal Byrne's 5.1 mastering is fine. All he did was filter the LFE, bring up the vocals, and a slight EQ on the rest, no phase invertion.

Looks like the mistake occurred during the authoring of the Blu-ray disc. Perhaps when the Dolby TrueHD tracks were being encoded, though I'm still scratching my head on that one. You would think a proper listen would have been given to the finalized master disc image before mass pressing. I really hope RoadRunner doesn't drag their feet on this.

Last edited:
That will probably depend on their definition of "fault". In this case there wasn't a manufacturing problem but a compromised master resulting in perfectly replicated discs, albeit with a different recording than intended. What has the history been with cases like this in the past?

I got FLACs of the Blu Ray and just tried the inversion fix you guys discussed, particularly the method you explained for Audacity (page 9).

WOW!

Seriously, I love this community. You guys are amazing. Since I usually listen to music from my PC, this is the perfect solution for me. Jon, I propose opening a separate thread for debugging the Blu Ray - what do you think? We could post a quick instruction manual like the one you guys worked out for Audacity.

Anyone know how I can rip the 5.1 tracks from the blu and decode to LPCM without paying for some fancy program? There is no phase setting/s on my amp so the only way I can reverse the phase is to manually swap the speaker cables. Not a problem, however without a sub I've got all speakers set to large and because of this I will be getting parts of the LFE track in all speakers, including the wrong phase! I can't see any way round it other than to burn a disc for the time being.

Roadrunner NEED to fix this and issue replacements. This is a big error and not easy to fix for some people.

Anyone know how I can rip the 5.1 tracks from the blu and decode to LPCM without paying for some fancy program? There is no phase setting/s on my amp so the only way I can reverse the phase is to manually swap the speaker cables. Not a problem, however without a sub I've got all speakers set to large and because of this I will be getting parts of the LFE track in all speakers, including the wrong phase! I can't see any way round it other than to burn a disc for the time being.

Roadrunner NEED to fix this and issue replacements. This is a big error and not easy to fix for some people.

Apparently MakeMKV can rip from blu-ray to MKV... Edit (during the trial period) ... I haven't tried personally.... so I can't confirm this.. I use DVDFab to create a decrypted Blu-ray ISO.

Then you can use Audiomuxer to extract the audio from the MKV...

Then use Audacity to "invert" the channels phase....

The content is faulty so the product as a whole is faulty, simple. Replacements should be sorted, it's not fit for purpose! Well, not my purpose anyway which is to listen to a killer 5.1 mix ;-)

That will probably depend on their definition of "fault". In this case there wasn't a manufacturing problem but a compromised master resulting in perfectly replicated discs, albeit with a different recording than intended. What has the history been with cases like this in the past?

I got this reply from Road Runner Records US, though it was before I saw the picture for myself, so I simply told him I had heard there may be an issue since I don't own the disc to test for myself. The picture of course proves it.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have escalated this issue to the necessary people to find out what, if anything, went wrong with this particular product. Please stay tuned for an update about this product.

I usually wait until there's a torrent for the titles I buy on Blu Ray. I know you can find FLACs for this one online.

Anyone know how I can rip the 5.1 tracks from the blu and decode to LPCM without paying for some fancy program?

I use MakeMKV (seems to be in infinite beta / trial, but is fully fonctionnal), you'll have to activate the advanced options in the program settings in order to save an MKV with the audio track already converted to FLAC. The MKV file can then be directly opened in Audacity (provided that you have installed ffmpeg for Audacity)

Having a hard time trying to play this without the phase error. I've managed to get FLAC files which I've decoded to LCPM (my player doesn't play FLAC). However, the LPCM files have a high bitrate (13mbps) so I can't create a PCM DVD-audio. I've tried just dumping the files as a data disc but my player doesn't recognise them. I don't have a blu-ray burner so that option is out too.

I think the only way is to somehow mux the PCM files to a blank video track so that it will play as a 'video' track on my Oppo with 5.1 LPCM audio.

Any ideas as to how I can do this?

Really hope Roadrunner replace these defected discs. Such a pain to try and play this 5.1 the correct way when you don't have a sub.

Having a hard time trying to play this without the phase error. I've managed to get FLAC files which I've decoded to LCPM (my player doesn't play FLAC). However, the LPCM files have a high bitrate (13mbps) so I can't create a PCM DVD-audio. I've tried just dumping the files as a data disc but my player doesn't recognise them. I don't have a blu-ray burner so that option is out too.

I think the only way is to somehow mux the PCM files to a blank video track so that it will play as a 'video' track on my Oppo with 5.1 LPCM audio.

Any ideas as to how I can do this?

Really hope Roadrunner replace these defected discs. Such a pain to try and play this 5.1 the correct way when you don't have a sub.

If you have a Oppo 83 or higher you can use Audiomuxer to create a AVCHD with 96/24 LPCM & put it on a USB Stick (FAT32) & play it by selecting the AVCHD folder...

That sounds perfect, many thanks Lizard. Will get that on the go while I have dinner.

That sounds perfect, many thanks Lizard. Will get that on the go while I have dinner.

If you get stuck let us know... make sure you set the 4GB split if the files (in total) are larger than 4Gb..
Capture.JPG

Wow. And there is me thinking the surround mix sounds pretty good. I have to agree to a certain extend with Neil Wilkes, that people should LISTEN to music instead of LOOKING at sound graphs. However, saying that, I do recognize a serious issue in the wave-form graphic. But I also have to admit it doesn't bug me much when I listen to it. In fact, I think it is an astonishing album.
If it turns out that its sonic qualities have been compromised by a technical glitch which, after fixing, can make it sound EVEN better, then hooray!

Pretty nifty community we got here people. Nifty, not Pale!
Cheers everyone and please do listen to this album. It can only sound EVEN better if it gets fixed.

Wow. And there is me thinking the surround mix sounds pretty good. I have to agree to a certain extend with Neil Wilkes, that people should LISTEN to music instead of LOOKING at sound graphs. However, saying that, I do recognize a serious issue in the wave-form graphic. But I also have to admit it doesn't bug me much when I listen to it. In fact, I think it is an astonishing album.
If it turns out that its sonic qualities have been compromised by a technical glitch which, after fixing, can make it sound EVEN better, then hooray!

Pretty nifty community we got here people. Nifty, not Pale!
Cheers everyone and please do listen to this album. It can only sound EVEN better if it gets fixed.

It sounds better when it is fixed. ;)

No offence, but I think it sounds horrible without the fix.

None taken.
But I don't think it sounds horrible. I have heard worse. Much worse... (don't ask me for examples, because that would start a whole different kind of rattling of cages)

Back