Opeth - Pale Communion 5.1 (Blu-ray)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None taken.
But I don't think it sounds horrible. I have heard worse. Much worse... (don't ask me for examples, because that would start a whole different kind of rattling of cages)

Yeah, I thought it was okay as well - definitely low on bass, but I would have taken it. The fix, however, boosted it from acceptable to amazing!

If you have a Oppo 83 or higher you can use Audiomuxer to create a AVCHD with 96/24 LPCM & put it on a USB Stick (FAT32) & play it by selecting the AVCHD folder...

Hey LizardKing, thanks for the tip! I've been considering upgrading my 83SE because it doesn't play 5.1 flac. I used Audiomuxer to create an bluray ISO and burn it to a DVD, but that is painful, especially when exceeding 4.7GB DVD capacity. This is a great solution! Thanks again!

Sorry for going off-topic...

Just began my first play through with the channels corrected and boy does it sound AMAZING! On my system is truly is like night and day difference. There is no longer a hole in the mix and what sounded like weird placement of the drums. The bass drum and bass guitar now have the power and grunt of the stereo mix. On the whole is sounds perfectly balanced finally. I'd say up there with the very best of SW's mixes.

Also, I've noticed the centre channel doesn't seem so overpowering now, but I guess that was because with the phase issue.

I'm sending another email to Roadrunner (still no reply to my first) because this needs a replacement program in place. The phase issue ruins this 5.1 experience, and I would assume more so for those running full range without a sub because there is no way to set speakers to large and get rid of the wrong phase LFE being sent across all channels, without having to rip and create your own disc (which is a huge pain because I've spent the past 2 days doing it, in my spare time).

Thanks to all who figured out the fix for this disc. Today I got around to A/B'ing some tracks after applying the phase correction. Wow! Didn't know what I was missing before!

Now let's hope that Roadrunner fixes this problem on their end and replaces the affected discs!

Finally got around to creating a disc with the LF and LFE channels un-inverted. While I didn't think the mix sounded bad before, but maybe a bit unusual in terms of imaging, the 'fixed' version sounds amazing! I also hope Roadrunner fixes this and replaces the defective discs. My thanks to those who figured out the problem.

If Roadrunner wouldn't issue a replacement disc for some weird reason, is there any way one of you guys could mail me a disc that I can play in my Oppo BDP-93EU that has the corrected mix? I can provide proof of me actually already owning the original! No worries :)

I realize this may be illegal but if the record company wouldn't do what it's supposed to do...

Got it a week ago but couldn't listen to it until last night. I did not know a thing about it, not wanting to spoil the experience, but I had seen the thread here jump from 5 to 13 pages in that span, and that there still wasn't a poll in the hi-rez section so I knew something had to be off. First thing was the dolby true-hd instead of dts-hd, but I though, that doesn't diserve 8 pages of complaints! But by the second song I figured: where's Mendez? But kept it going. I listened to the cd in the car this morning,...Ah, there he is!

Anyway, all has been said, and thanks to this community, I will be switching the wires on my front left speaker next time. Sub is easier with a build in knob. I just hope a replacement disc will be easily available, unlike the Thick as a Brick fiasco.

The point is that it doesn't sound how it is supposed to.

I think that nails it really, there should be a fix.

It doesn't sound that bad on my system (my room is acoustically lively so the sound reflects a lot) but the Bass is not prominent, and there is some good playing down there below the keyboards. I listened to it again in 5.1 day, and its a great mix, fantastic album.

So whats the best way of getting Roadrunner to re-issue and replace the discs?

I've emailed the 2 addresses posted here already, but they're Roadrunner/Warner in Germany (hope they read/reply in English too). I'm actually struggling to find an email address for the US and UK branches.

I've asked to be forwarded to the correct department/person, just in case the German office doesn't handle stuff like this.

Here's the email addresses again:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Roadrunner Germany didn't reply to me at all. I wrote them two times. Very bad customer service.

Roadrunner Germany didn't reply to me at all. I wrote them two times. Very bad customer service.

Big company, many customers and a product with a problem of unknown dimension (at least to them). If you did get a thank you or acknowledgement it would likely be automated. Nothing lost there.

The correction plan must be finalized and some time given to implement it. Given the short time from discovery / proof to the actions we are beginning to see now is really quite good!

From QQ deep space

My copy has finally arrived so I can join in. To paraphrase my favourite Hall and Oates track - Pale Communion, out of phase, as we go screaming through September :mad:@:

This is probably a silly question, and the answer to it may well be earlier in this thread, but I couldn't find it;

I can flick a switch to invert the phase on my sub, but I can't do so easily on my FL and FR. These front speakers are set to small. Only doing the inversion on the sub I understand doesn't do the full fix as explained above. My question is, should what I've done improve the disc's sound a little, or will it make no difference unless I invert the front speaker too?

I can flick a switch to invert the phase on my sub, but I can't do so easily on my FL and FR. These front speakers are set to small. Only doing the inversion on the sub I understand doesn't do the full fix as explained above. My question is, should what I've done improve the disc's sound a little, or will it make no difference unless I invert the front speaker too?

The big difference comes when you fix the front speaker phase issue, on my system.

Nimbatus mentioned the solution:

Just flip plus and minus on the left front speaker connectors and you're done :)

Here we go for replacements:

''A note from Roadrunner Records for fans inquiring about a replacement Blu-ray disc. You can go to the URL below for directions on how to receive a new disc. You will be prompted to enter the unique code that is printed on a 4x4 card in your copy of the album. Once you have entered your code you can expect an email regarding your replacement disc as soon as September 12th. http://redemptions.warnermusic.com/opeth
''

Back