Tweets from Andy P. re: Oranges and Lemons

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has just recently come to light on Burning Shed, so if you're undecided where to order "Oranges & Lemons" from, I think BS have now turned the tide in their favor with this new little tidbit:

Pre-order for 16th October release. All pre-order copies sold through Burning Shed come with an exclusive postcard signed by Colin Moulding.
:banana: :cool: :music

I have already placed an order with Headphone Dust (Steven Wilson's company), but I just emailed them to ask if they'll be including the postcard as well. If not, I'll be canceling my order and pre-ordering with Burning Shed instead (also a bit cheaper there).

I have already placed an order with Headphone Dust (Steven Wilson's company), but I just emailed them to ask if they'll be including the postcard as well. If not, I'll be canceling my order and pre-ordering with Burning Shed instead (also a bit cheaper there).

I'm pretty sure the answer from HD will most certainly be a no.
Burning Shed hosts the official XTC/APE store, so that's why they have had the exclusive signed postcards for this release and "Drums & Wires"

I'm sure you're right. But since it's Steven Wilson's company, I wanted to at least ask and provide an explanation as to why I'm canceling.

M
Indeed. It's not that I don't acknowledge that Blu-ray is the superior format, nor am I behind the times, it's the car audio systems that are behind! It would be great if car systems started supporting Blu-ray, but I can't imagine that happening. For one thing, it's too difficult to navigate a Blu-ray menu screen in a car, whereas DVD-A's are usually authored to begin playing their 5.1 layer by default when you load the disc.

I will say, if Burning Shed doesn't provide an option to download an ISO of a DVD-A of O&L, they are literally leaving money on the table. I for one would pay extra for that option, but if it is not supplied, I'll figure out how to do it myself from my Blu-ray.
It is not Burning Shed who releases this album, it is Panygeric.

This has just recently come to light on Burning Shed, so if you're undecided where to order "Oranges & Lemons" from, I think BS have now turned the tide in their favor with this new little tidbit:

:banana: :cool: :music

I know I have drug my feet on XTC...but there seems to be much excitement about this release...so I went ahead and pre-ordered from Burning Shed. Cool....

I know I have drug my feet on XTC...but there seems to be much excitement about this release...so I went ahead and pre-ordered from Burning Shed. Cool....
Why?
BTW, there was a back and forth on Hoffman about no DVD-A of O&L.
One of the main guys involved with the XTC releases said that D&W sold less than a 1,000 copies on DVD-A.
So to assert that they are "leaving money on the table" by not releasing a DVD-A or a FLAC download is false and really it should be obvious.
If they didn't lose money on DVD-A, they would release DVD-A.
So in spite of the fact that everyone involved with the re-issues has an Acura equipped with DVD-A surround capability, they decided to keep on releasing XTC classics on Blu-ray only rather than go out of business.

You're misquoting me. I specifically said not releasing an ISO of a DVD-A for download would be leaving money on the table. I completely understand that they were losing money releasing a physical DVD-A, however a download for those that want it entails zero distribution costs, zero authoring costs, basically nothing. As I said, I would gladly pay for that, in addition to buying the Blu-ray. Hence, leaving money on the table.

Why?
BTW, there was a back and forth on Hoffman about no DVD-A of O&L.
One of the main guys involved with the XTC releases said that D&W sold less than a 1,000 copies on DVD-A.
So to assert that they are "leaving money on the table" by not releasing a DVD-A or a FLAC download is false and really it should be obvious.
If they didn't lose money on DVD-A, they would release DVD-A.
So in spite of the fact that everyone involved with the re-issues has an Acura equipped with DVD-A surround capability, they decided to keep on releasing XTC classics on Blu-ray only rather than go out of business.

Well, mainly cause I come from a hard rock background.....Zeppelin, Sabbath, The Who, Deep Purple.....so.....this style of music is far from on my radar....now that being said...I love The Beatles, and other fine music....but....know little if anything about XTC.

So - that's why I drag my feet. I didn't buy Drums & Wires and I have NONSUCH or whatever it's called and I don't really like it. :)

You're misquoting me. I specifically said not releasing an ISO of a DVD-A for download would be leaving money on the table. I completely understand that they were losing money releasing a physical DVD-A, however a download for those that want it entails zero distribution costs, zero authoring costs, basically nothing. As I said, I would gladly pay for that, in addition to buying the Blu-ray. Hence, leaving money on the table.

Just to clarify...since you didn't quote the post you are responding to....who are you talking to? I can't tell. :)

Well, mainly cause I come from a hard rock background.....Zeppelin, Sabbath, The Who, Deep Purple.....so.....this style of music is far from on my radar....now that being said...I love The Beatles, and other fine music....but....know little if anything about XTC.

So - that's why I drag my feet. I didn't buy Drums & Wires and I have NONSUCH or whatever it's called and I don't really like it. :)
Your background sounds just like mine... I tried Nonsuch and found it to be excellent! Very reminiscent of the Beatles; after listening I immediately purchased D&W (haven't listened to that one yet). Hope you like it!

What's underlined is wrong.
Someone would still have to author the DVDA no matter if it's for download or physical purchase, however if you replace authoring with manufacturing, then your point is solid, and I completely agree with it.

Your background sounds just like mine... I tried Nonsuch and found it to be excellent! Very reminiscent of the Beatles; after listening I immediately purchased D&W (haven't listened to that one yet). Hope you like it!

I think both of you need to listen to "Drums & Wires" in surround, especially you, GOS.
It's definitely not as hard rocking as many of the artists you mention, but it's definitely much more raw compared to "Nonsuch" if that aspect of music appeals to you. :)

What's underlined is wrong.
Someone would still have to author the DVDA no matter if it's for download or physical purchase, however if you replace authoring with manufacturing, then your point is solid, and I completely agree with it.

You're right. And as discussed, we DVD-A people are going to rip our own versions (with minimal authoring), when we all would gladly purchase it from the label.

And again, while I understand and respect the business constraints involved (no one should ever sell anything at a loss), it is a shame that the same label that produces DVD-A's for King Crimson and Yes (in identical packaging) will not continue to do the same for XTC. My OCD is going haywire!

Interesting as I would have said 'Drums and wires' ('Complicated Game' is primal scream therepy at its best and one brilliant surround mix) would have fitted your profile closer than 'Nonsuch' .

XTC can be a bit of an aquired taste, but each album is generally different from the last and has more pluses than minuses.

I'm in the same situation...same type of musical background and I also didn't like NONSUCH...I've expanded my listening tastes quite a bit in the last couple of years...but there are limits for me...just like a lot of the progressive music titles...I've tried quite a few and some I have learned to like...but others leave me cold...I've become more selective lately with my hi rez purchases as I've "re-discovered" CD's again...finding "well done" older CD releases with good dynamic range has opened up more possibilities for me...so I can concentrate more on rock titles and artists I'm more familiar with and love...and also continue buying the quad AF releases...youtube certainly helps with the audition process on some of these titles..I will audition oranges and lemons to see if I like the content before I make a purchase decision

Back