David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find DVD-Audio Extractor so much easier for these BluRays that are loaded with content - you can actually play through the visuals and figure out which chapters correspond to the things you want to rip. I don't think I'd ever have managed to figure out the XTC and Yes BluRays if I only had audiomuxer!

I find DVD-Audio Extractor so much easier for these BluRays that are loaded with content - you can actually play through the visuals and figure out which chapters correspond to the things you want to rip. I don't think I'd ever have managed to figure out the XTC and Yes BluRays if I only had audiomuxer!

Agreed! I just used DVDAE to rip "Rattle That Lock" to WAV files, so now I can make a DVDA of this title for Acura playback.
Can't wait to hear what this one will sound like in that environment! :)

Do you have to use Makemkv before ripping, or is there a way to use DVDAE alone to get it done?

For newer titles (like this one), you need to use MakeMKV to decrypt the copy protection that's on these discs, otherwise you can see the contents in DVDAE but not actually rip them.
Hope that helps!

Do not discuss how to rip blu rays. Think about it

Here's the full music video for the song "Today":
[video=youtube;wYXrQPidJkw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYXrQPidJkw&spfreload=10[/video]

I love this song! So wonderfully upbeat! :)

Do you have to use Makemkv before ripping, or is there a way to use DVDAE alone to get it done?

You need some kind of decrypter. I think that many of us who use DVDAE are using AnyDVD-HD, which inserts itself between ANY application and the BD drive and does the decrypt in real-time. So you have AnyDVD installed and then from then on, you just Run DVDAE and it works.

You need some kind of decrypter. I think that many of us who use DVDAE are using AnyDVD-HD, which inserts itself between ANY application and the BD drive and does the decrypt in real-time. So you have AnyDVD installed and then from then on, you just Run DVDAE and it works.

I was using AnvDVD until my free trial ran out! Now using MakeMKV (It seems to come with an endless free trial)... just requires an extra step.

I finally got round to listening to the surround mix today, and got caught out by the owl hooting (a Tawny I think! - I get them in my garden) in the Right Rear channel at the end of "And Then..." around 50:42 on the Blu-ray, I got up and looked out the window in surprise :mad:@: A very nice surround mix. I need a few more listens before voting in the poll.

I originally posted the following in the poll thread for this release, but since I haven't received the 5.1 mix yet I thought it best to post it here:

I've heard the vinyl and the CD version of this title several times now. When the surround version gets here, I'll listen again and vote. Maybe it will grow on me a little. But for now, as far as the content goes, I think this release is easier to like than "On an Island" or "Endless River", but not by much. In fact, it fits into that style very well and if you enjoyed OAI you will like this very much. With respect to DG's non-Roger Waters works, I enjoy Division Bell and Momentary Lapse much more. Even the first two DG solo efforts are much better performances. The ideas here, both musically and lyrically just seem incomplete and under developed. It's a collection of slower dirges intermixed with a few more lively cuts, but it never seems to elicit the kind of power and emotion the man is (or was) certainly capable of. Think of "Murder" from About Face, "No Way Out of Here" and "Cry From the Street" from the 1st solo album, or "Sorrow" from AMLOR, or "Poles Apart" and "High Hopes" from Division Bell. There is no material on this disc that comes close to those cuts. It is all overlaid with that unmistakable sound of DG guitar work, which alone makes it listenable, but I really wanted to like this disc more. From the comments so far it sounds like its going to be an excellent surround experience. Like I said, I hope it grows on me.

Well I want to add an update.

The disc has grown on me... but only to a point. The tracks "And Then...", "Dancing Right in Front of Me", "In Any Tongue" and "Today", are the standouts for me. The title track is OK. These tracks are up there with the best tracks of On An Island, of which there are few. I do prefer this release to that one. I also prefer, by a wide margin, the first two solo albums, "Division Bell", and MLOR. I'm not even considering "Endless River" in this ranking, because I consider it the outtakes from "Division Bell".

I do agree with those that say it gets Jazzy. I hear it in more than just "Girl in the Yellow Dress". I'm not a big fan and I hope its not a trend. It reminds me of San Tropez from Meddle, which I have to admit, I do like.

With that all said, it makes "Rattle that Lock" the best thing Gilmour has put out since Division Bell. That was 1993!!! So I guess this is pretty good... "in a relative way".:D

I am looking forward to seeing him perform in Toronto in March. The set list looks promising. I only wish he'd play some stuff from those first two solo albums. Hey Andy Jackson .... talk to Dave about remixing his first two solo projects for us.

Well..so much for expectations...
I know I'll have fire and brimstone rain over me for saying this ..but what a cop-out of an album!!!!!
It didn't move me, it didn't do ANYTHING for me...
BOOORIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!

Man..Mr Gilmour must have paid some SERIOUS PAYOLA to basically EVERYONE , cause all the magazines are like "if you're going to buy ONE album this month, it should be THIS!"...yeah, only if you run out of sleeping pills!!!!!

geezz....

I was not from the Waters camp too much, but I'm getting there now...at least he knows how to put on a SHOW!!!!

Here the lowdown..I LOOOVE DG's 1st LP...OK, the 2nd one was different but , in a way, a bit disappointing ...the quality of his works has been declining (Pink Floyd Mk III aside)...but this one ; there's NOWHERE "to grab it from"...

So , my fellow Quadheads, this teaches us a very important lesson..PAYOLA RULES!!!!

Well..so much for expectations...
I know I'll have fire and brimstone rain over me for saying this ..but what a cop-out of an album!!!!!
It didn't move me, it didn't do ANYTHING for me...
BOOORIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!

Man..Mr Gilmour must have paid some SERIOUS PAYOLA to basically EVERYONE , cause all the magazines are like "if you're going to buy ONE album this month, it should be THIS!"...yeah, only if you run out of sleeping pills!!!!!

geezz....

I was not from the Waters camp too much, but I'm getting there now...at least he knows how to put on a SHOW!!!!

Here the lowdown..I LOOOVE DG's 1st LP...OK, the 2nd one was different but , in a way, a bit disappointing ...the quality of his works has been declining (Pink Floyd Mk III aside)...but this one ; there's NOWHERE "to grab it from"...

So , my fellow Quadheads, this teaches us a very important lesson..PAYOLA RULES!!!!

I disagree completely. As far as the best substitute for sleeping pills, "On an Island" is the hands down winner, followed by "Endless River", leaving this release a close third. But any of them will work fine if you are the least bit drowsy.(n)

I think so many listeners are so starved for anything that approximates a legit Pink Floyd experience they are talking themselves into believing this stuff is good. True, it IS Gilmour's best work since Division Bell. But considering what that includes, its not saying much.

For one who's claims that they're not in the Waters camp you're certainly coming like a camper. You're reviewing the new Gilmour album yet you're comparing it to a Waters show. WTF? And I'll take Gilmour over Waters any day. I'd much prefer to see Gilmour performing live and making mistakes to Waters lip synching video miming theatrics any day. Enjoy Camp Waters. :ugham:

For one who's claims that they're not in the Waters camp you're certainly coming like a camper. You're reviewing the new Gilmour album yet you're comparing it to a Waters show. WTF? And I'll take Gilmour over Waters any day. I'd much prefer to see Gilmour performing live and making mistakes to Waters lip synching video miming theatrics any day. Enjoy Camp Waters. :ugham:

Do you have knowledge of Waters "lip synching video miming theatrics"? Please tell us about it.

Absolutely. It's long been proven that the majority of the concert's vocals were pre-recorded and mimed. It's something he's done since 1984 but much more extensively for The Wall shows. It was painfully obvious seeing him live during the 5 shows I saw and through all the videos that were shared. It's even more apparent when comparing all of the recordings from the shows. It's been discussed to death on all the PF forums. There are times he never made it back to the microphone in time for the vocals. And all of the videos projected on the sides of the wall were pre-filmed. You could see this during the live shows - his choreography each night is staged to match the videos and he was never completely in synch with them. He's a sham, a con artist, and does this in the name of putting on a big show. The only live video parts were his announcements and Outside the Wall. He used to be one of my heroes but I've lost all respect for him this past tour and from his recent political views.

Back