ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hee! Now I'm listening to Song Sung Blue album...Johnny Mathis...compliments from that same good soul. This is just so fun to listen to....I cannot get enough of it. I need to get my 84 year old pappy over here to listen to this amazing Quad experience. So, so cool. Who would have thought....

Oh how wonderful! Your Daddy got you into Johnny M same as mine! :wave

Yeah, we had the smallest graduating class of all time. Shortly after, our school merged with a couple others and moved completely out of the town...that school has since been torn down and they did manage to keep the gym...which is now used for storing city vehicles!

"Hey! No street shoes or tire chains on the hardwood!'"

Oh, big time. Back in the day, all I had was my dad's LP's and I didn't care...I was fascinated with them. I used to play them over and over and write the lyrics on the sleeve.

The only thing that has been kind of a disappointment.. that my favourite Andy Williams albums that Dad used to play the hell out of and bring back so many happy memories to this day were never mixed into Quad or at least if they were never got released (albums like Andy's "Solitaire", "Happy Heart" and "The Way We Were".. just stunning albums.. "Happy Heart" was a bit early but the other 2 of them were released smack bang in the middle of Quad's heyday and yet no Quad!) but the same is true of Johnny M.'s and Barbra's 70's stuff "Feelings" and "I Only Have Eyes For You" by Mathis and "Star Is Born" from Barbra would have been great albums in Quad.. but we must be thankful for what we did get of theirs in Quad and there is rather a lot when you look at just those 3 artists - 7 from Andy W., 7 from Mathis and 8 from Barbra.. that's 22 Quads in total..!

The only thing that has been kind of a disappointment.. that my favourite Andy Williams albums that Dad used to play the hell out of and bring back so many happy memories to this day were never mixed into Quad or at least if they were never got released (albums like Andy's "Solitaire", "Happy Heart" and "The Way We Were".. just stunning albums.. "Happy Heart" was a bit early but the other 2 of them were released smack bang in the middle of Quad's heyday and yet no Quad!) but the same is true of Johnny M.'s and Barbra's 70's stuff "Feelings" and "I Only Have Eyes For You" by Mathis and "Star Is Born" from Barbra would have been great albums in Quad.. but we must be thankful for what we did get of theirs in Quad and there is rather a lot when you look at just those 3 artists - 7 from Andy W., 7 from Mathis and 8 from Barbra.. that's 22 Quads in total..!

Adam, poor BABs (Streisand): Only 1 album in 5.1 on SACD (The Movie Album). I was lusting after a release of The Broadway Album in 5.1 or some of her earlier brilliant albums. One of my VERY favorite Bab albums is Je M'Appelle Barbra.....her "French" album. Have you ever heard that one? Absolutely brilliant! Only available on RBCD but well worth adding to your collection.

Adam, poor BABs (Streisand): Only 1 album in 5.1 on SACD (The Movie Album). I was lusting after a release of The Broadway Album in 5.1 or some of her earlier brilliant albums. One of my VERY favorite Bab albums is Je M'Appelle Barbra.....her "French" album. Have you ever heard that one. Absolutely brilliant!

[apologies for the double post].

Tomorrow an electrician/contractor is coming to give me a quote on adding an electrical outlet, high up on the wall...so we can mount the TV and not have cords hanging down. Also, he's gonna cut out some slots on side walls, and back walls so we can route speaker wire, sub cable, HDMI on back wall for my laptop to Denon connections....

This will totally clean up my TV room and then once TV is mounted, I then have room to place my Pro-Ject turntable on the top shelf where TV currently sits and get things in final place. I'm fired up!

This will also allow me to hook up my 2 KEF speakers for a final 7.1 setup. Yes!

I'm not sure what this has to do with music....but I have 2 12 oz. New York Strip steaks marinating overnight in a mixture of

* Balsamic Vinegar
* Soy Sauce
* Worchestershire
* Olive Oil
* Dijon mustard
* Fresh garlic
* cracked black pepper

Whoa...I can't wait for tomorrow to fire those babies up.

I'm not sure what this has to do with music....but I have 2 12 oz. New York Strip steaks marinating overnight in a mixture of

* Balsamic Vinegar
* Soy Sauce
* Worchestershire
* Olive Oil
* Dijon mustard
* Fresh garlic
* cracked black pepper

It means your life is at stake and you won't be dealt a bum steer. :ugham:

BTW, when rewiring your system if you have any more slots in your main electrical panel, a DEDICATED outlet is HIGHLY recommended. This will ensure there's no contamination coming from other electrical sources and it usually reduces the overall noise floor in your main stereo system.

All my amps and ancillary equipment ALL have dedicated outlets and I even had my entire electrical system GROUNDED to a copper spike. That last proposition is a little pricey but highly effective.

Hey, GOS, you're eating well so why not go for the whole kit and kaboodle? We only pass this way once and ya can't take it with you!

* Balsamic Vinegar
* Soy Sauce
* Worchestershire
* Olive Oil
* Dijon mustard
* Fresh garlic
* cracked black pepper

Save one for the electrician...it might help with his estimate:bounce17

It means your life is at stake and you won't be dealt a bum steer. :ugham:

BTW, when rewiring your system if you have any more slots in your main electrical panel, a DEDICATED outlet is HIGHLY recommended. This will ensure there's no contamination coming from other electrical sources and it usually reduces the overall noise floor in your main stereo system.

Actually, I can easily do that...I might ask him about that. :)

Does anyone have this: Screen shot 2015-12-27 at 8.27.15 PM.jpg Eric Johnson Live From Austin TX 1984 CD+DVD?

Does anyone have this: Eric Johnson Live From Austin TX 1984 CD+DVD?

Yes, I have it.
Don't remember off top of my head about the surround mix.
Says DTS 24 bit/48k 5.1 on the disc.
Thanks for the reminder, I need to listen/watch to this one again.

vinylguy4

Not only do I remember the Sony portable HIGH FIDELITY Cassette decks, I still have the first one they made. It was TC-152SD, the predecessor to TC-153SD.

$_1.JPG

We had a Marantz clinic in our store in early '74. They brought along a TC-152SD, which was a forthcoming product at that point, still a couple months away from being in stock. At that point, Marantz was still distributing Sony tape decks in the US. They were distributed as Sony/Superscope. Superscope being the corporation that owned Marantz at that time.

It serves as the cassette deck in our bedroom system today. It runs through a Denon AVR-3800 (110w x 7) and Polk Audio speakers. That system, like all my systems, integrates modern surround gear with some classic 70's gear. A Sony full-logic SQ decoder, Transaudio turntable (Pacific Stereo proprietary), Panasonic RX-747 Q8 and CD-4 demogitator round out the vintage gear.

As for h/k, our main system features an h/k CD-401 cassette deck through a B&K preamp and two amps (250w x 2 and 200w x3). It is run through Mission towers and a REL T-9 (400w) sub. The h/k has three heads, two motors, Dolby B/C/HX Pro. It is also run through a dbx 224 noise elimination unit, which gives 110db s/n and dynamic range. When someone hears the system for the first time, I'll get their jaw to drop. "Oh, by the way, you've been listening to a HOMEBREW CASSETTE! Now, how'd you like to hear a LOSSLESS modern recording?"

Harman Kardon CD401.jpg.jpg

Our third system has a Sony TC-161SD, which is a '73 vintage.

Sony-Japan-TC-161SD-1972-Classic-Stereo-Cassette-Deck-1898345133-1425972436.jpeg

To play dbx cassettes in the car, I had a Concord w/outboard dbx unit though its' aux. My first car CD player was a comedown!

concord hpl2.jpg

$_1-1.JPG
Yes to all of the above! Back in the late 70s, this was my home deck and my car deck:

View attachment 23962

This was one of the first portable cassette decks that could also make a decent recording. I'd use it to tape albums at home (right out of the shrink wrap, like you said!). When it was time to cruise (and of course it didn't matter if it was across the county or out for a pack of smokes), I'd lug this thing, along with my case of 24 Maxell UD C90s, out to the '66 Olds Dynamic 88, park the deck on the custom angled transmission hump mount I built for it, and plug the line outs into the homebrew preamp feeding a 72 watt Craig Powerplay amp, driving 2 Small Advent bookshelf speakers in the back seat! Let's roll... :smokin

Thanks for the memories GOS!

-- Jim

Not only do I remember the Sony portable HIGH FIDELITY Cassette decks, I still have the first one they made. It was TC-152SD, the predecessor to TC-153SD.

View attachment 24024

We had a Marantz clinic in our store in early '74. They brought along a TC-152SD, which was a forthcoming product at that point, still a couple months away from being in stock. At that point, Marantz was still distributing Sony tape decks in the US. They were distributed as Sony/Superscope. Superscope being the corporation that owned Marantz at that time.

It serves as the cassette deck in our bedroom system today. It runs through a Denon AVR-3800 (110w x 7) and Polk Audio speakers. That system, like all my systems, integrates modern surround gear with some classic 70's gear. A Sony full-logic SQ decoder, Transaudio turntable (Pacific Stereo proprietary), Panasonic RX-747 Q8 and CD-4 demogitator round out the vintage gear.

As for h/k, our main system features an h/k CD-401 cassette deck through a B&K preamp and two amps (250w x 2 and 200w x3). It is run through Mission towers and a REL T-9 (400w) sub. The h/k has three heads, two motors, Dolby B/C/HX Pro. It is also run through a dbx 224 noise elimination unit, which gives 110db s/n and dynamic range. When someone hears the system for the first time, I'll get their jaw to drop. "Oh, by the way, you've been listening to a HOMEBREW CASSETTE! Now, how'd you like to hear a LOSSLESS modern recording?"

View attachment 24025

Our third system has a Sony TC-161SD, which is a '73 vintage.

View attachment 24026

To play dbx cassettes in the car, I had a Concord w/outboard dbx unit though its' aux. My first car CD player was a comedown!

View attachment 24027

View attachment 24028

I had a Concord installed in my Thunderbird

Back