Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Captain Fantastic on SACD...keeping Rocky (son's dog), Petey's brother. And yes, schnauzers hunt in packs. If you don't hear from me in the next day or so, send out a search party ;)

image_zpsbseawcbx.jpg

Fleetwood Mac - Say You Will - dvd-a. Great songs, but too little use of the surrounds & rears.

I ripped the surround layer to flac using DVDAudioExtractor, then used Audacity to increase the levels of the rear channels, and was able to tease a nice surround experience out of this one... definitely worth trying!

I ripped the surround layer to flac using DVDAudioExtractor, then used Audacity to increase the levels of the rear channels, and was able to tease a nice surround experience out of this one... definitely worth trying!

Yes, that seems to be the problem - not missing sound, just too low. Thanks for the tip.

For now I just configurated a "Scene" configuration on my Yamaha processor, that rises the level for the surrounds and rears with +5dB - just choose this "Scene" everytime I listen to Say You Will. It sounds much better with this configuration :)

Billy Cobham. Spectrum. AF Quad. I have the DVD-A,but this much better with clearer sound and very discreete mix.
Love the guitar and keys in opposite rear speakers.:music:music

Billy Cobham. Spectrum. AF Quad. I have the DVD-A,but this is much better with clearer sound and very discreete mix.
Love the guitar and keys in opposite rear speakers.:music:music

OK, so now I truly think I've lost my mind. I was digging through my piles of surround music...and I found what I assumed was a SACD of GENESIS Nursery Crimes. I assumed I had played it before...and I assumed that I didn't like the way it sounded. Well, I was looking at the disc, and noticed another disc inserted upside down in the case. Huh? I pried it out..yeah it was hard...and it said DVD-A!! What? So I Put it in, and OK, it's a DTS 5.1. Hell, it is in your face good. Loud...yeah...but damn. It's way better than I would have imagined....

Anyone else have this disc(s)? Holy crap.... :) :)

Oh man - the wife is gone for the evening...so I broke out ALL of my Elton John SACD's. I totally cranked it....WOW, they still all sound nearly reference to me. So good...even at ear bleed levels....which I think I accomplished. And, oh the bass...whoa....

Been on a listenfest this afternoon as it my birthday and I have the day off.
Listening to right now Andy Jackson - 73 Days at sea (been sat on the shelf for far too long)
Just listened to:
Mike Oldfield 1984 Suite (been sat on the shelf for a week)
Anthony Phillips - Wise after the Event (Thanks Postie arrived today)
Opeth - Damnation (Thanks to my brother nice birthday pressure)

More surround at one time than I have had more is the pity. Nice Young's double chocolate stout to help wash the music down.

Many Happy Returns of the other day :)

Oh man - the wife is gone for the evening...so I broke out ALL of my Elton John SACD's. I totally cranked it....WOW, they still all sound nearly reference to me. So good...even at ear bleed levels....which I think I accomplished. And, oh the bass...whoa....

Watch out for that ear fatigue! :yikes ;)

Ps. Lovin that you wait for your wife to go out (some "wait til my husbands away".. Name that TUNE..!!!!! :D )

OK, so now I truly think I've lost my mind. I was digging through my piles of surround music...and I found what I assumed was a SACD of GENESIS Nursery Crimes. I assumed I had played it before...and I assumed that I didn't like the way it sounded. Well, I was looking at the disc, and noticed another disc inserted upside down in the case. Huh? I pried it out..yeah it was hard...and it said DVD-A!! What? So I Put it in, and OK, it's a DTS 5.1. Hell, it is in your face good. Loud...yeah...but damn. It's way better than I would have imagined....

Anyone else have this disc(s)? Holy crap.... :) :)

All of the Genesis 1970-1975 albums sound amazing in surround. Even the new stereo mixes are definitely an improvement over the original stereo mixes, but the surround mixes take everything to a whole new level, especially on "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway".
As for "Nursery Cryme" specifically, it's when the Genesis sound first started to really come together, thanks to the additions of Phil Collins and Steve Hackett into the band. "The Musical Box", "Return of the Giant Hogweed", "Seven Stones", and "Fountain of Salmacis" are all amazing classic Genesis tracks.
So glad you rediscovered it and have come to realize its true worth! :)

All of the Genesis 1970-1975 albums sound amazing in surround. Even the new stereo mixes are definitely an improvement over the original stereo mixes, but the surround mixes take everything to a whole new level, especially on "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway".
As for "Nursery Cryme" specifically, it's when the Genesis sound first started to really come together, thanks to the additions of Phil Collins and Steve Hackett into the band. "The Musical Box", "Return of the Giant Hogweed", "Seven Stones", and "Fountain of Salmacis" are all amazing classic Genesis tracks.
So glad you rediscovered it and have come to realize its true worth! :)

Absolutely agree, RT. For years other forums have slammed the Genesis 5.1 SACD remixes but after living for years with Imported Vinyl versions of various Genesis 'remasters', etc., I can truthfully say these remixes are SUPERB. Lamb is AWESOME......period!

Lichtmond 3 - in 7.1 DTS-HD Master. All 7 channels so deliciously discrete :upthumb
attachment.php

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot this one had 7.1 and Auro3D.

So that's two Auro3D discs I have. Will play this when I'm back from holiday. (It's hard work laying around reading QQ when I don't have access to my music...)

Back