Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the Genesis 1970-1975 albums sound amazing in surround. Even the new stereo mixes are definitely an improvement over the original stereo mixes, but the surround mixes take everything to a whole new level, especially on "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway".
As for "Nursery Cryme" specifically, it's when the Genesis sound first started to really come together, thanks to the additions of Phil Collins and Steve Hackett into the band. "The Musical Box", "Return of the Giant Hogweed", "Seven Stones", and "Fountain of Salmacis" are all amazing classic Genesis tracks.
So glad you rediscovered it and have come to realize its true worth! :)
I find it strange that no one ever mentions "Harold The Barrel". I really love that song!

Never heard of this Blu Ray - had to order it! :) This thread is great to find interesting titles.
Dear captain, you're welcome to visit my blog - I've been making lists of surround releases that fit since 2009. Also, right now I'm in the process of reformatting and updating links to the oldest ones - enjoy!

Last edited:
Dear captain, you're welcome to visit my blog - I've been making lists of surround releases that fit since 2009. Also, right now I'm in the process of reformatting and updating links to the oldest ones - enjoy!

Thanks haikubass - will check out your list of surround discs.

Now listening to Nitty Gritty Surround with John McEuen and Jimmy Ibbotson & Co - great tunes and a lot of surround!

Edit: hehe, I believe James is the captain :)

Never heard of this Blu Ray - had to order it! :) This thread is great to find interesting titles.

We like nothing better here than to help other members spend their money, Spock! You might live long, but you won't prosper with us around :teleport:

We like nothing better here than to help other members spend their money, Spock! You might live long, but you won't prosper with us around :teleport:

I believe you are right, :) My wallet hurts really bad, hehe

Now listening to Tom Petty & Heartbreakers: Hypnotic Eye, really great songs and SQ, but a little low on the surrounds/back speakers.

Again this one! EoH upmix, people who like Dream Theater should really try this one out, I dare say they have the same skills but with a vocalist that can sing :yikes. Here a short review.

1zr1278.jpg

Linda Ronstadt-What's new SACD-first listen...a very mild conservative surround mix...but with this material they made a wise decision..they featured her lovely voice...and it's crystal clear and up front where you want it....just beautiful...not quite as enchanting as Patsy Cline...which IMO is spectacular..but this is my best sounding Linda Ronstadt disc...hands down...love it(y)

You can get it here

Herbie Hancock. Thrust. AF Quad SACD. Nice mix and good fidelity on this one.Had not heard it before and I don't like
the music so much as Spectrum,a little to jazzy for my taste.Best track for me Spank-A-Lee:phones

Herbie Hancock. Thrust. AF Quad SACD. Nice mix and good fidelity on this one.Had not heard it before and I don't like
the music so much as Spectrum,a little to jazzy for my taste.Best track for me Spank-A-Lee:phones

Thanks for the feedback :)

I'd say the most impressive Herbie Hancock Quad from a mix point of view is "Sextant" which is a real surround spectacular, things are frequently ping-ponging all over the place... its dizzying at times! :D

...musically Sextant is to me the least penetrable and most jazzy of all 4 of his Quads (Sextant, Headhunters, Thrust, Secrets).. Thrust was the best choice for AF at this stage of the game imho as it strikes the balance between accessibility in a musical sense and has a solid Quad mix..

..one can see why Sony chose Headhunters back in the day for MCh SACD, it kinda ticks the boxes and has probably his most well known material from that point in his career... but it's been done - and yet Analogue Productions are set to redo it on Surround SACD all over again apparently.. they don't seem to have a problem with revisiting stuff that's been on Hi-Res/Surround already ;)

the Quad of Herbie Hancock's "Secrets" album I'm still on the fence about, it sounds great on the SQ LP and things are shifting about round the room a lot of the time.. but some owners of the Q8 don't rate it and say its a faked Quad.. hmm.. I often wonder if there were any cancelled Quads or 5.1's of Herbie's over the years (I suspect there are/were.. I imagine AF are on the case!? :eek: )

Fleetwood Mac's Tusk - maybe my favourite surround disc - I love the surround mix.

You are going to fit in real well here(y)..you won't have to user your phaser...let me mention a few(you probably already have)that might interest you...Roxy Music Avalon...Van Morrison-Moondance...Bob Marley Legend(must be the 30th anniversary edition)..Best of The Doors SACD...any of Elton John surrounds(and they are still cheap)...Allman Brothers-Idlewild South(new release)..Grover Washington Jr-Winelight SACD...America-Homecoming SACD...Seal-Best 1991-2004...Boz Scaggs-DIG...Queen-The Game...Chicago-Chicago II DVD-A....Donald Fagen-Nightfly...and a bargain you might not be aware of that is not available in the UK Pink Floyd Store right now...but is at the US site HERE

You are going to fit in real well here(y)..you won't have to user your phaser...let me mention a few(you probably already have)that might interest you...Roxy Music Avalon...Van Morrison-Moondance...Bob Marley Legend(must be the 30th anniversary edition)..Best of The Doors SACD...any of Elton John surrounds(and they are still cheap)...Allman Brothers-Idlewild South(new release)..Grover Washington Jr-Winelight SACD...America-Homecoming SACD...Seal-Best 1991-2004...Boz Scaggs-DIG...Queen-The Game...Chicago-Chicago II DVD-A....Donald Fagen-Nightfly...and a bargain you might not be aware of that is not available in the UK Pink Floyd Store right now...but is at the US site HERE

That will come later ...... :banana:

Some of these are in my collection, and some ordered - but titles like Avalon and The Game cost too much :( But I am checking Ebay every day.

The Elton Johns are great, and the Pink Floyds - I have the 3 PF boxes.

Phasers on stun! :)

When Avalon was available, many years ago - I purchased Roxy Music - The Best of on SACD (only stereo) instead. I was more into 2 channel then, stupid mistake.

I've got most of what's on that list. The one I don't that i'd like some day is the Van Morrison. So if you guys ever see a cheap one in your meanderings.....:smokin

Back