Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1st album 1972) on 5.1 DVD mixed by Steven Wilson!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A new thought I have about the reason behind the delay into (at the earliest) 2016 for this reissue.

Could it possibly be because 2016 marks the 45th anniversary of Roxy Music's formation, and they will use that reason to launch not only the reissue of this album but potentially more?
Just a thought…

I'll buy into that but that still doesn't bode well for seeing anything other than the first album in surround in the next year or so.
SW indicated that he hasn't been asked to work on any of the band's other albums yet. How long would even an accelerated release schedule take from locating the master-to mix-to market?

Then again, what's to say that the label/band do not have Rhett Davies and/or Bob Clearmountain tapped for subsequent work?
Hey... I will take the whole catalog anyway I can get 'em.

--Greg

A new thought I have about the reason behind the delay into (at the earliest) 2016 for this reissue.

Could it possibly be because 2016 marks the 45th anniversary of Roxy Music's formation, and they will use that reason to launch not only the reissue of this album but potentially more?
Just a thought…

Hope that is the case.

Those discs get so much better after the first.Well up to Siren....I reckon.

I'll buy into that but that still doesn't bode well for seeing anything other than the first album in surround in the next year or so.
SW indicated that he hasn't been asked to work on any of the band's other albums yet. How long would even an accelerated release schedule take from locating the master-to mix-to market?

Then again, what's to say that the label/band do not have Rhett Davies and/or Bob Clearmountain tapped for subsequent work?
Hey... I will take the whole catalog anyway I can get 'em.

--Greg

I definitely think that Bob Clearmountain should be the one to mix at least "Flesh + Blood" (plus maybe "Manifesto" too) in surround, but as far as the other four of the first five albums go, Steven's the guy to get it done IMO.
Plus who knows how the timeline/plans could change from this point forward?
The Jethro Tull reissue series started out pretty slow with only one reissue in surround a year, but since the end of 2013, there has only been about a 6-month gap in-between reissues, and they are cranking them out now! We were also told a little less than a year ago that more Gentle Giant surround mixes were not likely given the situation of missing tapes, and now we have "Octopus" being released at the end of next month.
And honestly, at this point, just getting the first album out in surround is enough of a positive step in the right direction for me. We can worry about the others after that. :)

You almost need to suspend linear time in this realm. The Opeth mix that SW finished in 2009 is only coming out now. There are mixes prepared that are sitting on the shelf waiting for the stars to line up. (Graceland for example) It's quite possible some may never be released. To try to construct a surround mixing timeframe only based on the days in front of us is largely an exercise to fill time. We get what we get when all people and related mechanisms agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems silly to waste the marketing effort on this new deluxe set that they did on Record Store Day with the 10" release, and then not release it in a timely manner.

It seems silly to waste the marketing effort on this new deluxe set that they did on Record Store Day with the 10" release, and then not release it in a timely manner.

Delays happen, and it is very frustrating, but what's also frustrating is the fact that this 10" single release is only available in vinyl format as of right now.
I for one would love a digital version of this single just for the extended version of "Ladytron", which is truly amazing!
I can only still continue to hope that the delay signals a possibility that this reissue might be part of a bigger initiative beginning next year.

The marketing effort for Record Store Day is special, unique and largely invisible to the masses. No momentum is lost where none was seriously intended. I always push for the ratio of patience / gratefulness to improve.

The marketing effort for Record Store Day is special, unique and largely invisible to the masses. No momentum is lost where none was seriously intended. I always push for the ratio of patience / gratefulness to improve.

The ratio of patience / gratefulness: what exactly does that mean? The more patience I have the more grateful I'll be? Help me out Tim.

The Ladytron single did what it was supposed to do, get people into brick and mortar record shoppes and to whet the appetite for the upcoming release. I am surprised that it didn't sell out on the first day. There is still a copy or two in my local RSD venue.
p.s. If there is anyone out there still looking for it, I would be happy to help them out.:music

The ratio of patience / gratefulness: what exactly does that mean? The more patience I have the more grateful I'll be? Help me out Tim.

Please read my blog- it's spelled out there.

In short, none of this has to happen at all. The formats could be completely dead. Fortunately it is not and we need to be grateful for every thing we do get when we finally get it. This requires patience.

I went back through vivaroxymusic.com and found a short press release on the 10" single, which includes this segment:

In anticipation of a comprehensive catalogue release programme beginning later this year

Now obviously the 'later this year' part is not happening on schedule, but this shows that they definitely have big plans for reissues of the whole catalogue.
Two reissues a year would be good. 4 a year would be even better, but most of all, just getting the first album out in surround is what we really need most of all!

http://vivaroxymusic.com/articles_488.php (The link where I took that statement)

When I found the Steven Wilson video for Technics Tracks, I also found this on their website:

He has produced albums for the likes of Opeth and Anathema, and is the go to guy for surround-sound mixes, having worked with King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Tears For Fears, Yes, XTC and is soon to tackle Roxy Music's back catalogue.

Another reference to a catalogue initiative instead of just a one-off remix of one of their albums. Now how much of the catalogue will Steven end up remixing in surround? Who knows, but I can at least envisage surround mixes by him of the first five albums, and maybe even "Manifesto" too. ("Flesh + Blood" though should definitely be remixed in surround by Bob Clearmountain to go along with his stellar 5.1 remix of "Avalon") :)

I will probably be hard of hearing before they get around to releasing this. Just bumping this up the list a wee bit so someone in the industry might take notice. I have several towers of £1 coins set aside to purchase Roxy surround product. Feb 2016 and not a dicky bird about a catalogue release yet....

I will probably be hard of hearing before they get around to releasing this. Just bumping this up the list a wee bit so someone in the industry might take notice. I have several towers of £1 coins set aside to purchase Roxy surround product. Feb 2016 and not a dicky bird about a catalogue release yet....

I don't expect to see this released this year until summer at the earliest. Fall is even more likely, but I agree. The sooner, the better. None of us are getting any younger, and our ears won't get any better as well! ;)

IT'S COMING!!!!

While promoting his collaboration with watchmakers H. Moser & Cie (yes, he’s designed a watch) Bryan Ferry revealed that a deluxe edition of Roxy Music‘s 1972 debut is slated for a “July 2016″ release…

In a recently published interview on The Red Bulletin, Ferry is asked if “we can look forward to anything new from Bryan Ferry?” and he responds thus:

“Yes, we made recordings which nobody has ever heard for the first Roxy Music album and now we’re releasing them in a sort of deluxe version”

When quizzed about the timing of the release, Bryan states “probably, July 2016″ and adds that there will be a DVD as part of the deluxe package.

Roxy Music guitarist Phil Manzanera said in November 2014 that he was “very excited” about box sets for the first two albums due ‘next year’. Obviously, that didn’t happen, but Steven Wilson also mentioned last year that he’d remixed the first album for 5.1 surround sound, so the DVD Ferry mentions is likely to contain that.

It has to be said that this interview may have taken place a good few months ago, and July seems very unlikely now, given that we’re in the middle of June and have had no official announcement. So for sure, keep that pinch of salt to hand, but nevertheless, Bryan on record stating that the deluxe will contain unheard recordings, feature a DVD and confirming that IT IS COMING OUT is, is reason for excitement.

IT'S COMING!!!!

While promoting his collaboration with watchmakers H. Moser & Cie (yes, he’s designed a watch) Bryan Ferry revealed that a deluxe edition of Roxy Music‘s 1972 debut is slated for a “July 2016″ release…

In a recently published interview on The Red Bulletin, Ferry is asked if “we can look forward to anything new from Bryan Ferry?” and he responds thus:

“Yes, we made recordings which nobody has ever heard for the first Roxy Music album and now we’re releasing them in a sort of deluxe version”

When quizzed about the timing of the release, Bryan states “probably, July 2016″ and adds that there will be a DVD as part of the deluxe package.

Roxy Music guitarist Phil Manzanera said in November 2014 that he was “very excited” about box sets for the first two albums due ‘next year’. Obviously, that didn’t happen, but Steven Wilson also mentioned last year that he’d remixed the first album for 5.1 surround sound, so the DVD Ferry mentions is likely to contain that.

It has to be said that this interview may have taken place a good few months ago, and July seems very unlikely now, given that we’re in the middle of June and have had no official announcement. So for sure, keep that pinch of salt to hand, but nevertheless, Bryan on record stating that the deluxe will contain unheard recordings, feature a DVD and confirming that IT IS COMING OUT is, is reason for excitement.

Maybe they are waiting for the sales of THIS ONE to gain some traction before rolling out another one...of course it's not surround...but I'm going to get it anyway...

IT'S COMING!!!!

Back