Steven Wilson Gentle Giant "Interview" (5.1 & Dolby Atmos Remix out in June!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, they seem to have again used the 2012 Peter Mew master with incorrect channel assignments and too much dynamic compression. As with Free Hand, you probably won't want to bother with the quad after hearing the amazing new 5.1 & Atmos mixes.
This is more than that, and a different situation from Free Hand.
It is a quad with only 3 unique sources, as the fronts duplicate one unique source.
Somehow a channel was missing or unusable (how were those quads mastered back then?) or a mistake was made at production.
I accept a mistake such as the channel assignment in the 2012 Free Hand release, but I am left speechless as to why it was left uncorrected in the bluray release: this was well known since then.
But this issue with Interview appears to me as to be a known issue from day one, then why not coming forward and saying: this is all we could find, enjoy it while knowing that it is not perfect.
I have both 2012 releases, and apart from ripping them (and reassigning the channels in Free Hand) I haven't touched them since then.

This is ridiculous. What’s the point of even pre-ordering? Was going to try and wait it out but I think I’ll just cancel and order from ImportCD’s.

If I could I’d just go out to a store and pick one up but I doubt even a chain like Sunrise Records would carry it.
View attachment 92996
I switched from amazon to rarewares (another seller on Amazon) a few days ago. It was shipped on the same day from rarewaves. It was a few bucks more than sticking with amazon but whats the point.It's actually cheaper from rarewaves on Amazon than it is from importcd's once you apply the exchange rate.

Last edited:
Amazon has kicked my Interview arrival from June 20 to July 6........pretty strange when its in stock and available elsewhere but you know its a First World problem I can wait.

I switched from amazon to rarewares (another seller on Amazon) a few days ago. It was shipped on the same day from rarewaves. It was a few bucks more than sticking with amazon but whats the point.It's actually cheaper from rarewaves on Amazon than it is from importcd's once you apply the exchange rate.
Thanks Guy, ended up ordering from Rarewaves. Should be here in about a week.

Funny thing is I could reorder from Amazon.ca and get free prime delivery for July 11. Very strange.

The 2012 was not a new mix, it was a (incorrect) remaster of the original 1976 mix.
Meaning that somewhere there is a master with all 4 channels, just a "copy and paste" mistake was made and went undetected.
No attempt was made to correct that mistake now :-(
At least this creates an opportunity to milk the cow again and release the correct version...

Yep, they seem to have again used the 2012 Peter Mew master with incorrect channel assignments and too much dynamic compression. As with Free Hand, you probably won't want to bother with the quad after hearing the amazing new 5.1 & Atmos mixes.
The 5.1 mix also seems to have some unneeded dynamic range compression. Can't do waveforms but it sounds that way to me at least.

The 5.1 mix also seems to have some unneeded dynamic range compression. Can't do waveforms but it sounds that way to me at least.
Interesting, all the Steven Wilson mixes on the Blu-Ray sounded pretty great to me. There's a noticeably big dynamic contrast between the acoustic intro and 'rock' ending of "I Lost My Head".

Back