Beck, Bogert & Appice in SACD Surround Sound from Sony Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan, BBA LIVE was released as an SQ disc in JAPAN. http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm
{Look under Jeff Beck} Released on the EPIC Label as ECPJ5/6 as a 2 disc set.

Major doubts about this one; it may be on the list but there is nothing corroborating it's quad-ness. Without at least one solid cross-reference it should be considered an error. [I've worked with Mark on these lists but somehow missed this one until now]

We should be getting this one in about three weeks and I'm really excited about it.

I finally pulled the switch and ordered the Japanese SONY QUAD SACD of Beck, Bogert & Appice. About $52 delivered from CDJapan (I only had very few bonus points).

It's TIME to replace my trustworth but hardly audiophile DTS RBCD version (probably created from a ADAT master).

The wait is almost over.

Received notification today from CD Japan that my copy of Beck, Bogert & Appice in SACD Surround Sound from Sony Japan has shipped!
Should be here by the release date of 7/20/16.

Looking forward to it. :)

The wait is almost over.

Received notification today from CD Japan that my copy of Beck, Bogert & Appice in SACD Surround Sound from Sony Japan has shipped!

Also received notification from CDJapan, Brian, that BB&A shipped but unfortunately, it takes MUCH longer via SAL for my parcels to reach the East Coast from Japan. Can't wait to hear your 'mini review.'

And probably by late next week our ship will finally come in with AF's much anticipated QUAD SACD release of L&M's FULL SAIL. A half a lifelong dream that this QUAD remaster would someday find a hi res physical disc release and AF fulfilled that dream. (y)(y)

But being THE Multichannel Maven I'm sure you already have it. SURFS UP! :chill

Also received notification from CDJapan, Brian, that BB&A shipped but unfortunately, it takes MUCH longer via SAL for my parcels to reach the East Coast from Japan. Can't wait to hear your 'mini review.'

Yes, Federal Express International is quite a bit faster than SAL.

Yes, Federal Express International is quite a bit faster than SAL.

I should say.

If you've heard the DTS RBCD of BB&A (from a ADAT?), the sonics of the SACD from the original QUAD masters should be a thrilling upgrade and as with most Columbia QUADS very discrete and tastefully done. 36 minutes of HIGH ENERGY!

The wait is almost over.

Mine is in the. "shipping process"...usually takes 10 days to reach me via air mail here in Florida

The new Beck, Bogert & Appice Multichannel SACD from Sony Music Japan arrived here today from CD Japan.

Very similar to Sony Music Japan's earlier Anniversary Edition of Blow by Blow. Features a 7" by 7" recreation of the SQ Quadraphonic LP cover art along with collectors inserts from singles and releases from the album.
The Super Audio CD Surround Sound tracks are excellent. This will be a must-own SACD for Jeff Beck and Rock fans! Recommended.

Cover - 500.jpg

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/feature/beck_bogert_appice_sacd_surround_sony_japan

The new Beck, Bogert & Appice Multichannel SACD from Sony Music Japan arrived here today from CD Japan.

Very similar to Sony Music Japan's earlier Anniversary Edition of Blow by Blow. Features a 7" by 7" recreation of the SQ Quadraphonic LP cover art along with collectors inserts from singles and releases from the album.
The Super Audio CD Surround Sound tracks are excellent. This will be a must-own SACD for Jeff Beck and Rock fans! Recommended.

View attachment 26754

Brian, if it sounds anything like AP's [corrected phase] Mch SACD of Blow by Blow fasten your seatbelts. I listened to BB&A LOUDLY the other night [DTS RBCD] and it's quite simply an amazing mix. Not a bum cut on the album. They should also release the LIVE BB&A album on a stereo SACD or better yet a single layered SHM~SACD. And it's pretty much been verified that there is NO existing QUAD mix of the BB&A LIVE 2 disc set.

View attachment 26754

Tell me, Brian, do you think this SACD release is a significant improvement over the DTSCD released several years ago?
I would love to buy this one, but the price is currently holding me back…

I received my new Beck, Bogert & Appice Multichannel SACD from Sony Music Japan from CD Japan yesterday. Looking forward to a loud listen, I know I will love it. My only future tripping question that nobody will know until it happens is : When the Sony mch of Blow By Blow came out a few years ago it was considered one of the best reference discs money could buy in MCH, then AP comes out with a new version mch disc saying the out of phase rears has been corrected. I have both as you know and only after critical listening with pen and paper and having both discs could I tell the difference giving the nod to the new AP disc. Now we potentially have the same scenario. I hope after loving this new Sony disc that 2 years from now I don't hear, Oh, now we have the corrected one, buy it. Love these 7" X 7" packaging. The brand new Jeff Beck, Loud Hailer, is really good and finally I will be seeing Jeff Beck and Buddy Guy together next month in SF.

Tell me, Brian, do you think this SACD release is a significant improvement over the DTSCD released several years ago?
I would love to buy this one, but the price is currently holding me back…

The new Multichannel SACD is the best edition of the album I've heard.
Definitely a recommended purchase for Jeff Beck and Rock Surround Sound fans.

Is the Stereo track on this new SACD a downmix of the Quad to 2-ch, or SQ-encoded Stereo, or the original Stereo mix, please? Tia :)

Thanks for the endorsement!
When I find this disc for a good enough price, I will probably get it and enjoy it! :)

Thanks for the endorsement!
When I find this disc for a good enough price, I will probably get it and enjoy it! :)

I've checked all the bargain basement websites and my advice......unless you find it used for a good price on Amazon, better grab it as it's a limited edition. Paying $50+ is price gouging but as I recall, the early SHM~SACD stereo only discs were $60 list.* http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/EICP-10002

BTW, I believe the BB&A DTS RBCD was from a 16/44.1 ADAT master so expect this to sound like AP's Blow by Blow mch SACD....in other words, pretty spectacular!

*but then again the SHM~SACDs @ $60 were 'supposed' to be LIMITED EDITIONS and now the SHM~SACD 'reissues' ARE available for less than half the $60 list....albeit in RBCD cases versus the MINI LP special packaging.

Brian, if it sounds anything like AP's [corrected phase] Mch SACD of Blow by Blow fasten your seatbelts. I listened to BB&A LOUDLY the other night [DTS RBCD] and it's quite simply an amazing mix. Not a bum cut on the album. They should also release the LIVE BB&A album on a stereo SACD or better yet a single layered SHM~SACD. And it's pretty much been verified that there is NO existing QUAD mix of the BB&A LIVE 2 disc set.

No BBA LIVE QUAD but there is quite likely another live quad of Beck's......Live With The Jan Hammer Group.A disc that Columbia Records SQ withdrew last minute so to speak . This disc was available as a "Sound Concepts catalogue " quad new release in 1977.

I did a good listen to this new surround disc, B,B & A and is great sounding, and very discrete, meaning instruments move around and are defined in the 5 speaker set up. Advertising within the package shows it as a 5.1 set up, and it is. Drums, bass and vocals are primarily front 3 speakers and Becks guitar is primarily rears, but all parts move around. Musically it is not as entertaining as Blow By Blow, a little more grittier, kind of like Cream, for instance. Sonics are of course the best I have ever heard both in mch and stereo. Now, are we going to hear the "out of phase" commentary in a couple years? I couldn't tell you. Beck's guitar moves front to rear, right to left, one Appice drum solo stays front, so is this correct? Doesn't really matter I guess as in it's current release it should be considered reference quality.
The most happy news, for me, is in there advertising the Japanese list the 3 Quad releases, Blow By Blow, The Jeff Beck Group (orange), this disc and Rough And Ready. I take this advertisement as there is a planned Japanese release in surround of Rough And Ready, ECPN-13 SQ 4, I cannot wait!

Back