New AVR ordered...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently tried playing MCH FLAC directly on my Denon X7200WA and it failed (both from USB and Server).

I was trying to establish whether the Denon would play quad from FLAC. Fail. It will if I use a media player.

I tried to play files from an HD on my last years Marantz model and it wouldn’t accept NTFS, only FAT. My new Denon will accept NTFS via the HEOS configuration. However, it won’t play multi-channel files like my OPPO but will play DTS-CD multi-channel files.

Hmmm - so I ran audyssey, and the test tones for all speakers worked flawlessly (including the surround heights I just wired up), yet when I play any Atmos disc....those surround heights are totally silent. Nothing, nada....

I went back into my Denon settings and yes, it shows them......

Speaking about Atmos and Auro, did anyone try to run Auro 2D or 3D over a 5.1.2 setup with front heights? I know this is not a supported configuration by Auro, but will the player do something with the front heights?
I have serious difficulties with my room to be able to place rear heights and before paying the 150€ the Auto license costs, I would like to know if it will work with my current setup.
Thanks!

Hmmm - so I ran audyssey, and the test tones for all speakers worked flawlessly (including the surround heights I just wired up), yet when I play any Atmos disc....those surround heights are totally silent. Nothing, nada....

I went back into my Denon settings and yes, it shows them......

Did you go back into the menu/amp assign and change your heights from two speakers to four?

d59a85a5833d7c36838fbc0eab0a99a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking about Atmos and Auro, did anyone try to run Auro 2D or 3D over a 5.1.2 setup with front heights? I know this is not a supported configuration by Auro, but will the player do something with the front heights?
I have serious difficulties with my room to be able to place rear heights and before paying the 150€ the Auto license costs, I would like to know if it will work with my current setup.
Thanks!

Sort of. I had a front heights/side ceiling speaker setup which Auro recommends for all three object-based codecs. Difference with this configuration is that while listening to Auro-3D sources or the Auromatic upmixer, only the front two height speakers are active.

As to Auro 2-D, it can be used with any configuration since it uses only the surround channels.

Yeah, that was part of the setup process that it walked me through. The simple fact that audyssey triggered sound from the surround heights, says I had the correct information input.

No. You need to go back into amp assign and change it. It can’t be changed while using Audyssey. Check out the photo I left last night a couple pages back. (y)

d59a85a5833d7c36838fbc0eab0a99a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do have Yamaha, and I have 3 choices for those "height" speakers:

1. Height
2. Overhead
3. Dolby Enabled Speakers

(For both front and rear)

I use "Overhead" for my setup, you should use something like "Dolby Enabled Speaker"? Or what Denon call them.

I think the graphics should show the Dolby Enabled speakers placed on the floorstanding speakers?

This must be correct - then run Audyssey.

Oops! I hit submit too fast.

Gene, when you run the wizard and get to the loudspeaker configuration, choose 5.1 configuration with, depending on if you have two or four upfiring modules, ceiling speakers. Or, if you already ran the wizard, go into the menu, choose speakers/amp assign.

View attachment 32293

I went to

1. speakers
2. manual
3. amp assign

It already said 9.1 and showed all 9 speakers, just the way I assigned them. For height, it says 4 speakers and shows front and surround.

I do have Yamaha, and I have 3 choices for those "height" speakers:

1. Height
2. Overhead
3. Dolby Enabled Speakers

(For both front and rear)

I use "Overhead" for my setup, you should use something like "Dolby Enabled Speaker"? Or what Denon call them.

I think the graphics should show the Dolby Enabled speakers placed on the floorstanding speakers?

This must be correct - then run Audyssey.

I called them height yesterday for the fronts and they work fine. I called the surrounds height and audyssey triggered tones from them...but they are totally silent when I play a disc. :mad:@:

I called them height yesterday for the fronts and they work fine. I called the surrounds height and audyssey triggered tones from them...but they are totally silent when I play a disc. :mad:@:

Okay. So, what you are playing/ trying to hear? Is it a stereo source? Multi-channel? Dolby Surround, Atmos?

Sorry, if I missed it above. :)

I knew I missed something. You have your ceiling speakers not set correctly. They are ceiling, not height configuration.

Why would I choose ceiling over height? If your comment is right, then why do my front heights work just fine set as height? OK, well...I can change them both and see if that fixes things.

Sadly that is a common theme with the AVRs including my SC-LX86 (and no chance of a firmware upgrade either), the cynic in me says its so they can sell you a media player when they develop one. So I just use the Oppo 203 at the moment.

It'll be quite a while before I consider Atmos, but I wonder if the Oppo can stream the Atmos 7.1/9.1 flacs? It'll do 5.1 FLAC and DSF.

Back