New AVR ordered...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey GOS.. sorry that the ATMOS experiment did not deliver a great experience.. oh well.. at least you got a couple of beautiful speakers!!!!
I'm sure that it'll be cool for movies!!!

Notice you said "great experience".....it's too new for me to say what my experience is. As I said, it wasn't a HOLY SHIT moment. I don't think it ever will be....now if I had a huge listening room...shaped just the way I like with lots of space for my speakers to breath....maybe so. With my limited options....I'm just happy I have what I have.

I will have zero regrets.... NEW EQUIPMENT!!!!!!! Need I say more? :cool:

Gene,

I was floored (literally) when I went from two to four Atmos speakers. It really made that much difference with both movies and music. Even in my very small room. Someday, you’ll thank me. (y)

In fact, I could hook these up right now just to see what it might sound like...not Klipsch, but just to see... Polk Audio
a331203c348f8b5a79a416e12fb94d7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just some cheapo tape on lights I got on amazon. Powered by USB to my tv. Remote control to change colors, etc.

e0059210081fe448a9a4801253bd8161.jpg

Gene,

I know this is pretty new to you, but do you have any insight into how it might integrate into your network yet? I saw in a few of the threads that it includes advanced streaming capabilities. Can it stream directly from your NAS? Does it have any server like capability? Can it replace Foobar for you?

In fact, I could hook these up right now just to see what it might sound like...not Klipsch, but just to see... Polk Audio
a331203c348f8b5a79a416e12fb94d7f.jpg

Looks great, a good thing to use old stuff!

The specs for Atmos speakers are not very high, I believe I read somewhere that speakers only have to perform down to 150Hz.

Like your Atmos Klipsch, Klipsch just spec them as "Conforms to Dolby Atmos Specifications" - not how low they performs, but this test shows -3 dB at 121Hz:

https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...40sa-atmos-elevation-module-review-test-bench

Here are my Atmos speakers:

HfTXqoQ.jpg

Leftovers from an old satellite 5.1 system. And they, as your Atmos Klipsch, performs an earth shattering bass down to 120Hz :banana:

I may get some bigger and better performing speakers for the Atmos channels, but knowing the Atmos limitations - I don't know if it is worth it.

Here are my crossover settings for the 7.1.4 speaker setup:

M703zw2.jpg

And I go for blue light behind the tv - but I can change to what color I want, but blue is most Star Trek I think :banana:

Gene,

I know this is pretty new to you, but do you have any insight into how it might integrate into your network yet? I saw in a few of the threads that it includes advanced streaming capabilities. Can it stream directly from your NAS? Does it have any server like capability? Can it replace Foobar for you?

Doesn't seem it can. I just went to HEOS, music server...then connected to my NAS....seems easy...but when I try to play a song, it says it's can't due to unsupported format. That format would be flac. stupid......

Doesn't seem it can. I just went to HEOS, music server...then connected to my NAS....seems easy...but when I try to play a song, it says it's can't due to unsupported format. That format would be flac. stupid......

That makes no sense. I don’t have a server to try but I did recently abandoned my OPPO 205 and now use the front USB port under the display on the AVR for my 2TB HD. It plays Flac files from 16/44.1 to 24/192 just fine.

Speaking of which, the only problem I find with the AVR is that I use two (sometimes three) drives and have to constantly rotate them depending what I want to listen to. I haven’t tried a hub but the manual states that one is not supported. What I love about the Denon AVR is that it plays DSD files in gapless mode. Something none of the OPPO players have ever been able to do. :)

That makes no sense. I don’t have a server to try but I did recently abandoned my OPPO 205 and now use the front USB port under the display on the AVR for my 2TB HD. It plays Flac files from 16/44.1 to 24/192 just fine.

Speaking of which, the only problem I find with the AVR is that I use two (sometimes three) drives and have to constantly rotate them depending what I want to listen to. I haven’t tried a hub but the manual states that one is not supported. What I love about the Denon AVR is that it plays DSD files in gapless mode. Something none of the OPPO players have ever been able to do. :)

I read some chatter where others say it will play flac via usb, just not via a network or streaming.

I read some chatter where others say it will play flac via usb, just not via a network or streaming.

Wait a minute...something is not right. Here is what I pulled from the manual:

Playing back files stored on a PC or NAS
This unit can play back music files and playlists (m3u, wpl) from DLNA compatible servers including PCs and NAS devices on your network.
Supported file formats:
For details, see Playing back a file saved on a PC or NASlink.
WMA
MP3
WAV
MPEG-4 AAC
FLAC
Apple Lossless
DSD

Whack a media player in between your NAS/storage and your AVR:

Storage -> Media Player -> HDMI -> AVR

You can also use a remote control or iPhone/iPad Android Phone/Tablet as a remote to play music files and/or play lists from anywhere in your house (wifi connected)

EDIT: This will also play Atmos, TrueHD, DTS:X, DTS-HDMA, DTS etcfrom BD converted to MKV (and bit perfect video too)

This unit can play back music files and playlists (m3u, wpl) from DLNA compatible servers including PCs and NAS devices on your network.
Supported file formats:
WMA
MP3
WAV
MPEG-4 AAC
FLAC
Apple Lossless
DSD
but it is limited to stereo only it seems
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX4400H/NA/EN/GFNFSYelkngxze.php

Supported file formats:
WMA
MP3
WAV
MPEG-4 AAC
FLAC
Apple Lossless
DSD

Interesting. So what kind of interface does it have for file playback?

Back