Van Morrison "Moondance" (Standalone Blu-Ray with Steven Wilson Dolby Atmos mix coming in December!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall reading an interview with Elliot Scheiner at some point in the past where he said he auditioned the 5.1 mix for Van at a studio in London and that he was happy with it, so I think it's safe to say he's definitely heard it.

Around the time the DVD-A was scheduled to be released, or just in the years after, Van was shopping his back catalog (he owns everything except for the first three records, Astral Weeks, Moondance and His Band and the Street Choir) around for reissue. Up until that point, they'd been on Polydor but he was supposedly unhappy with the sales of the reissue campaign they'd done and he cancelled it before the final batch of remasters came out.

It wasn't until after the announcement that his back catalog went to Sony that we saw the BluRay release of Moondance with the 5.1 Scheiner mix from Warner (and after that, expanded CD reissues of Astral Weeks and Band & Street Choir) so you have to feel like they were maybe in the running for the back catalog and didn't want to poke the bear - which is an almost impossible feat with Van given that every album he's put out since 1991 is basically an "old man yells at cloud" laundry list of all the people and entities he has grievances with - but figured they had nothing to lose once the back catalog reissue ...issue... was moot after the news of the Sony link-up.

Moondance was probably low-hanging fruit for an Atmos remix given that the multitracks were already digitized for the 5.1 mix, but given that the 2015 expanded reissues of Astral Weeks and His Band and the Street Choir both had session outtakes on them you have to hope that the multitracks for those albums also still exist, and that Warners (and Steven Wilson) will undertake Atmos mixes (and more grand-scale deluxe editions) of those two albums based (hopefully) on the success of the upcoming Moondance Atmos BluRay.

Up until that point, they'd been on Polydor but he was supposedly unhappy with the sales of the reissue campaign they'd done and he cancelled it before the final batch of remasters came out.
I remember hearing the Polydor reissue of either Veedon Fleece or Tupelo Honey and it wasn't especially loud, but it was audibly distorted in certain sections. I'd have to check to see which.

I've only seen Van Morrison once (at the Cornwall Coliseum, St. Austell in Nov. '86) and he was brilliant (as was his band) and even in front of an audience of big fans at a sell out show, I'd have described him as taciturn at the gig. He does seem to have got worse, makes Grumpy Old Men look overbearingly cheerful!

Not sure if this works on the Rhino USA store, but if you order from Warner Music Canada you can use the code STUDY30 for 30% off. It took off 9 dollars which essentially paid for my shipping.
Shipping was like $30 CAD, for me! Made the total price just higher than $50 CAD.
Slightly more expensive (~$37+) than the US option (~$36+).
So, might as well order domestically, for me.

The Atmos mix is Steven Wilson's and it is sublime.
The 5.1 is the 2013 Elliott Scheiner mix.
There are new stereo and instrumental mixes on the disc from Mr. Wilson.
We also included the OG remastered stereo mix from the 2013 Deluxe Moondance by Denny Purcell at Georgetown Mastering. I don't think I credited him properly on that release.
Hey @ForagingRhino, I am going to buy this title, but I'm also going to buy the next 4 Quadio releases. Am I safe to order all "5" when they are all listed? It would sure save me on extra shipping cost of ordering separately. :)

In other words, I don't want Van M to sell out by the time the Quadios are listed. :hi

Hey @ForagingRhino, I am going to buy this title, but I'm also going to buy the next 4 Quadio releases. Am I safe to order all "5" when they are all listed? It would sure save me on extra shipping cost of ordering separately. :)

In other words, I don't want Van M to sell out by the time the Quadios are listed. :hi
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I don't think VM is as hot a ticket as Paranoid, so I'm gonna bet were both safe waiting.

Van Morrison is one of those quirky, talented figures. I like some of his music a lot. Just as much or more not so much.
I have never seen him live that I recall, but I thought his performance in the Peter Greene tribute concert good, although he looked like he was either stoned, drunk, or just being weird.

Well, I don't know, I have tried 3 times today to order the stand alone, 2 times from home PC and one time from work PC.
I hit the red BUY NOW bar and nothing happens?
So either nothing happens or I'm going to get three upon release?

I just ordered one without issue. Not sure what the problem might be but I just followed along and the order went through fine. 2 minutes later I got the email confirmation!

Back