Van Morrison "Moondance" (Standalone Blu-Ray with Steven Wilson Dolby Atmos mix coming in December!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do hear great differences in the Scheiner earlier 5.1 mix and the Wilson 7.1 mix.
The main differences to my ears are:
Scheiner vocals in the LCR with the Wilson mix vocals in centre. Less apparent echo and more presence in Wilson mix.

Surround volumes on piano and horns much higher on Scheiner mix.

Both mixes have their positives with Scheiner mix more immersive and full, while the Wilson mix is more delicate and specific with the instruments and vocals being so distinctive and carefully positioned. Just great music.

Technically, just to clarify, there is not a downmix. You are getting the straight 7.1 "bed" as they call it. The Atmos takes and deletes elements to put them into heights, etc. from the bed.
Gotcha - of course! Thanks for the clarification. Just one question - you use the word “deletes”. Does this mean that musical elements will be missing in the 7.1 listening experience? (I know that spatial dimensions will be missing when compared to the Atmos listening experience.). Cheers!

Gotcha - of course! Thanks for the clarification. Just one question - you use the word “deletes”. Does this mean that musical elements will be missing in the 7.1 listening experience? (I know that spatial dimensions will be missing when compared to the Atmos listening experience.). Cheers!
Nope, sorry. The elements are really just moved to the correct speaker in the Atmos set-up. Not deleted per se. Just trying to say that they are not duplicated in both the 7.1 and Atmos when playing it in Atmos. Everything is there regardless if played Atmos style or 7.1!

Atmos is a really clever tool...fundamentally different than anything so far.

Nope, sorry. The elements are really just moved to the correct speaker in the Atmos set-up. Not deleted per se. Just trying to say that they are not duplicated in both the 7.1 and Atmos when playing it in Atmos. Everything is there regardless if played Atmos style or 7.1!

Perfecto!! Happy listening….

Listening now to the Steven Wilson 2023 remix instrumental version.
Pretty cool.
At the end of Moondance I heard Van singing in the backround, very faint, but there. Maybe I will hear him again on other tracks.
c85bc56d67b786e08415348308bee2a8.png

I do hear great differences in the Scheiner earlier 5.1 mix and the Wilson 7.1 mix.
The main differences to my ears are:
Scheiner vocals in the LCR with the Wilson mix vocals in centre. Less apparent echo and more presence in Wilson mix.

Surround volumes on piano and horns much higher on Scheiner mix.

Both mixes have their positives with Scheiner mix more immersive and full, while the Wilson mix is more delicate and specific with the instruments and vocals being so distinctive and carefully positioned. Just great music.
Yeah, for this one I had to alter the Steven Wilson 7.1. First time for altering his mix. Deleted any extra subwoofer input and brought the rears and backs way up in the mix. Still didn't totally compensate for the brass not being loud enough.

Yeah I would rather say that the elements are in the correct speaker with 7.1 and with Atmos these elements are placed in mid air between speakers for a different not always better experience.

Back