4 more Quadio titles coming in January 2024! (Titles Announced)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's nevertheless important to note. Whether or not Rhino ought to fix the error is a different note, especially as it seems to be bigger change than simply inverting the polarity of a channel.
How do you know that things you find aren't intentional choices made by mixers who mixed old school, by ear, with no graphs?

Got the shipping notices today, 5 days AFTER they were delivered.
They probably need to work on the timing a bit.
I got a shipping notice 3 hours after delivery for three of the discs today (AWB, Lightfoot, America). Also got Richard Wright with no notice yet. No sign of War though.

Its too bad Rhino cant send out test copies for evaluation by people here who are knowledgeable about the mixes.
However catching and correcting a mistake by the original quad remixers is something else and veers into rewriting history territory.

Here's the deal. I had a 'test-disc' and I played the thing all the way through a few times because I happen to like this album. I have the CD-4 and the Q4 and have listened to the quad mix many times since the '70s. Back then when I could hear better, and now with a pristine HiRez bluray source, I did not hear the anomaly Dynamic Editor found.

I didn't put it in a spectrum analyzer, I didn't look at waveforms (other than to check for channel imbalances), I just listened to it. In 1975 and in 2024 and many times in between.

I never hear an error. To me, that's the way it was supposed to sound. Is your way better? Maybe. I really don't feel that inclined to test it out myself. But the bottom line is you cannot expect Rhino to go through every track of these 50 year old recordings and check for bizarre errors that were created when the masters were made.

If they did, the discs would cost far more than they are selling for, which would essentially kill the program

How do you know that things you find aren't intentional choices made by mixers who mixed old school, by ear, with no graphs?
With this specific example, there is very little on the Good Old Boys album that is shared between the front and back channels. Not only is it the same loudness of a particular element across the front and back, but it being in the opposite polarity makes it so that entire elements of the mix are being lost when folding it down to stereo. I do believe there is debate to be had in regards to intentions in some form (like, should the back channels also be lowered by 3dB after the front channels are edited?), but incorrect polarity as a whole I find to be clearer cut, as it flat-out messes up the surround sound image.

Significant error spotted on "Every Man a King". Comparing the front with the back channels results in a VERY negative correlation meter result.
View attachment 100924
So Rhino messed up, right? Believe it or not, no. This error also exists on the original release. What I believe may have happened is that, during the mix's creation, an inverted version of the back channels was added to the front channels. If you simply invert the back channels, the group vocals are much louder than they are in the stereo mix of the song.

So, my hypothesis to "fix" the mix is to add the existing front left channel to the back left channel, which would create the new front left channel, then do the same for the front right channel (that is adding the front right to the back right, creating the new front right channel). I also personally thought the group vocals in the back channels were still a bit too loud compared to the stereo mix, so I lowered them by another 3dB.
This is very interesting as I always thought the Quad mix of Every Man A King was underwhelming. I was hoping I’d be able to pick out the Eagles’ harmonies better. I’ll have to try this when my disc arrives.

So I got War yesterday but the other 3 seem to be bouncing around Florida. One shipment (this is UPS/USPS, now, not Rhino) landed near Miami but I hope it's on it's way back up to North Florida. Funny thing is, the tracking said it went through Jacksonville, which is my regional USPS hub. lol.
I never understand this tracking stuff.

Some years ago I sold some pc parts to a service guy in Korea, APO address. USPS showed it bouncing all around the US and stopped in Michigan! But the dude told me he got the parts in a few days so all was good. Weird stuff, this tracking nonsense.

I wouldn't blame Rhino if they announced the END of the quad Blu-Rays. Then you guys can REALLY piss and moan.

Doug
More likely the series continues, but FR would bolt outta here and just say to himself I've had it, had enough.

I'm a man who enjoys simple pleasures...some (including my wife?) would say I'm a "simple" man.:D Be that as it may, let me get out on the bike (non-motorized kind) and enjoy some nice weather here in NC, partake of an old fashioned (or two), and listen to some good music and I'm all set. Speaking of music - AWB and War Quadios arrived as of today...life is good.

My discs sound fine to me. I think Rhino did a great job this bundle. I hope they continue to release them.
I really don't have a problem with the shipping other than I was kept out of the loop. Got the discs yesterday. Today I received three emails saying they were shipped with the tracking numbers. So alls well that ends well.

I’m looking forward to the next batch of four while I’m enjoying these discs right now.

I’ve decided that I’m going to reroute my front channels to another receiver that I use for two channel listening. The two channel receiver is for computer playback in stereo and vinyl. This old Sansui 7070 (from 1974-75) sounds so nice and tone controls being very transparent and beautiful- that I think I’ll take the pre outs of the front chans (only) from the multichannel Yamaha and into the aux of the Sansui 7070 which will give me instant front and back separate level controls and let me EQ the fronts to taste with a quick turn of the knob.

I just want a little more (instant) control of front to back levels and tone adjustments - and I want it done in pure analog.

It’s an odd signal flow, but I think I need some analog EQ and I’m always pushing rear channels a tad louder so I hear those marvelous musical extras and overdubs highlighted on those Quadios and 5.1 programs.

So I will be listening to a lot of quad mixes in the coming weeks with this alternate front channel signal path.

I’m also going to sit in the sunshine outside for 30 min. each day when I get up to charge my body, as I’ve been reading this is really good for us.

Really liking the new Quadio titles especially Randy and AWB, as I don’t hear any issues at all with them.

Ok back to shipping and tracking problems.

I’m looking forward to the next batch of four while I’m enjoying these discs right now.

I’ve decided that I’m going to reroute my front channels to another receiver that I use for two channel listening. The two channel receiver is for computer playback in stereo and vinyl. This old Sansui 7070 (from 1974-75) sounds so nice and tone controls being very transparent and beautiful- that I think I’ll take the pre outs of the front chans (only) from the multichannel Yamaha and into the aux of the Sansui 7070 which will give me instant front and back separate level controls and let me EQ the fronts to taste with a quick turn of the knob.

I just want a little more (instant) control of front to back levels and tone adjustments - and I want it done in pure analog.

It’s an odd signal flow, but I think I need some analog EQ and I’m always pushing rear channels a tad louder so I hear those marvelous musical extras and overdubs highlighted on those Quadios and 5.1 programs.

So I will be listening to a lot of quad mixes in the coming weeks with this alternate front channel signal path.

I’m also going to sit in the sunshine outside for 30 min. each day when I get up to charge my body, as I’ve been reading this is really good for us.

Really liking the new Quadio titles especially Randy and AWB, as I don’t hear any issues at all with them.

Ok back to shipping and tracking problems.
It's said that seven minutes in sunlight causes our bodies to produce enough Vitamin D. Me, I 'm big on sunlight, makes the day better.

My 4 ordered-at-retail Quadio Bundle 3 titles arrived today - in 3 packages! Two were in individual cardboard mailers, and the other two were in a double cardboard mailer but inside a large plastic shipping envelope. All arrived safely through the USPS system. The mailers these guys are using are pretty damn strong as it took a bit of effort for this old guy to get them open!!

I know there's always a lot of grumbling and stress with regard to getting these things delivered, just remember the ways of the post office are strange and the process of getting these things out to us really isn't something that ForagingRhino is involved with, and it's awfully nice of him to inject himself into resolving QQ members issues. He certainly does not have to do that at all
I got three packages today just as you described. For me, in Canada, I’d have to say that’s one way to avoid any customs/duty charges! Perfect!
On another note, I’m still waiting for the Spinners replacement disc! Oh well.

Back