35th Anniv. of CD in US

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Today is the 35th Anniversary of the US CD introduction. https://www.geeksandbeats.com/2017/10/35th-anniversary-compact-disc/

For years, I had heard of a new technology on the horizon called DAD, or digital audio discs. Later, the name morphed into CD. What began as a "what the hell is that?" question from all my non-audiophile house guests, became the predominant format by the end of the decade.

The first CD player was Sony’s CDP-101, priced at $900 (about $2300 in today’s economy). And yes, I had one of those. Really liked the A-B feature to capture one segment of a track, like 1 bar. ahhem!

The first day, I had a couple dozen discs, including Toshiba-EMI releases of Abbey Road, Dark Side and Let's Dance. They were ALL the CD's I cared to own. Today, I have over 15,000 of these slices of aluminum aspic.

A couple weeks later, Abbey Road was pulled. It would be a couple years until it was officially released again.

Boston's Don't Look Back became rare and collectible because it wasn't repressed for years. Joni Mitchell's Wild Things Run Fast (recommended) was another Japanese CD I bought. It was years before it had a US release. I had a Japanese 35DP-1 52nd Street. More sandpaper than an off-kilter CD-4. Well, more like a brittle high end.

I could go on about the dozens of CD/SACD/DVD/Blu-Ray players, car stereos and PC's I've had that all consume the things. Although I prefer 7 1/2 ips or higher reels, direct-to-discs and many 1/2 speed masters, CD is a wonderful format. OK, lossless and SACD sound better. Still, tracks are more quickly accessible on CD and SACD and there is soooo much software out there.

A 35 year love affair!

My love affair with CDs lives on today...of course I like higher resolution formats...but I haven't abandoned the CDs...a lot of the greatest music is on CDs that will never receive the hi rez treatment..and those older mastered CDs sound excellent on our modern systems...and those of us that love the music and aren't obsessed with having only hi rez music can find the music we love in the CD format...and with a little research we can obtain some great sounding discs...like the Elton John AF Gold CD I'm listening to right now...Rock Of The Westies

Snooooood loves CDs and me gotta shhheeeeeeeeetload of them toooooo:yikes:banana:

15000 tho:yikes:yikes:yikes niiiiiice Linda

I never got rid of my turntable(s), but I did immediately love the continuous play (no flipping over) and the lack of surface noise that so many of my vinyl records exhibited (many were out of print and bought used). I have also burned many a CD over the years, and have released two CDs of my own music officially.

I remember buying all the Pink Floyd I could get my hands on before I even had a player. That way I was ready to rock the day I first got one.

My first SACD was also DSOTM.

Thanks for the marker Linda!

Bought my first CD player, a Pioneer, around the end of 1985 -- and it still plays! I have about 2,000 CDs and think it's a tremendous audio format when properly mastered (fairly flat transfers with no brickwall limiting). My first CD purchase was the Japan pressing of Don Henley's Building the Perfect Beast. A day or two later picked up Estudos by Baden Powell.

Thanks for the anniversary reminder. Can't believe it's already 35 years ago :mad:@:

Wow Linda. I have about 700 CD's, DVD's, SACD, etc. They take up the better part of an entire wall in my listening room. How do you store 15,000 CD's? How do find one that's been misplaced?

With 15,000 CD's how does one figure out which one to play? I mean sometimes I'll be looking at my modest surround sound collection of about 250 discs, scratch my head say, "Hmmm which one do I want to play now?" Should probably start a thread on that: Pick my next surround title to play.

They have 2 rooms, plus part of the living room and rec room.

They do share 1 room with 5,000 hunks of vinyl plus a couple hundred reels.

Miles Davis may account for the most. Over 500 CD's, plus dozens of SACD's, mostly Japanese. At least 2 dozen boxes. Complete Columbia and Montreaux boxes account for 91 discs.

Wow Linda. I have about 700 CD's, DVD's, SACD, etc. They take up the better part of an entire wall in my listening room. How do you store 15,000 CD's? How do find one that's been misplaced?

My love affair with CDs lives on today...of course I like higher resolution formats...but I haven't abandoned the CDs...a lot of the greatest music is on CDs that will never receive the hi rez treatment..and those older mastered CDs sound excellent on our modern systems...and those of us that love the music and aren't obsessed with having only hi rez music can find the music we love in the CD format...and with a little research we can obtain some great sounding discs...like the Elton John AF Gold CD I'm listening to right now...Rock Of The Westies

Right on, Clint. I know it's still 16 bit but when one receives a RBCD with NO limiting....NO compression....no nasty digital artifacts....it's a keeper, especially if that's the only format one can obtain the music in [besides occasional downloads which I'm still NOT into].

I've recently been collecting SILVA Records Essential Film Scores [Hans Zimmer; Nino Rota; Elmer Bernstein, Maurice Jarre] and three of the four are in Dolby Surround and HDCD encoded and I loaded them into my Meridian SooLoos and they sound EXQUISITE with deep bass and excellent mids and highs. I have SACDs that don't sound this good.

But then there are still compressed RBCDs which are bi products of careless engineering or from artists who have [IMO] LOST THEIR HEARING and OUCH.....thus the bad rap which CDs have experienced over the years.

I cannot count how many RBCD players I've had over the years and I finally settled on the Meridian Reference 808/Meridian SooLoos for my MAIN system which finally do justice to the lowly but persevering Red Book Compact Disc!

Although I don't have as many RBCDs as QUAD Linda, 10K and counting is still a whole bunch and a storage NIGHTMARE, as well!:yikes

CD's rule. I still buy 'em.

Sometimes, I get people telling me they're getting rid of theirs and "going all digital" like they're trailblazing a way forward on the bleeding edge of technology, so I go, "Oh, right", but I really think, "It's still a file (that's probably a 320Kbps mp3 that they've been told is "CD quality") on a disc (that may or may not spin), Einstein".

I used to say "Rip 'em to some 16-bit/44.1KHz format and chuck 'em in a box in the roof", but received blank stares, so now I just nod and smile.

People, man...

But anyway, back to CD's. CD's rule.

ahhh.. the CD... good 'ole CDs...
I was already doubtful when it was announced as "PERFECT SOUND FOREVER" .. I KNEW it was a lot of BULLSH*T cause nothing , I repeat, NOTHING is indestructible.. and perfect? yes.. DVD-As are perfect but they wouldn't appear until a couple of decades later.. and look what happened to them... :(

Of course I have a shitload of CDs but something VERY important held me back in 1991 and I stopped buying them, simply the fact that in Spain they were PROHIBITIVE!!! .. so , I started buying LPs...I know, NEW RELEASES?? guess not!!!

And of course I NEVER got rid of my old LPs.. they are still in great condition , and after all the dough I spent on them, my HARD EARNED MONEY, I was NOT gonna throw my money out! (as it is, I have most of my LP and DVD-A collection on Discogs and it's about 15,000 EUROS total worth (and that is the "average" price!)..

But CDs.. they are great and they showed us how BAD they can sound (BRICKWALLING) and also how good they can sound (a 96/24 or good analog recording with a "normal" DR)...let's not even mention the "early" CDs that still sell for SILLY prices...

Nowadays, I prefer to buy new releases on LP rather than on CD...

Question???

Does anyone still have the longbox cases that they came in when they first came out??:mad:@:

Snood has a few..........

Snood was a lil late but not too much..........fought with people about the sound not being natural compared to LPs (to some extent Snood still believe that, it kinda 60/40 one way or the other, depending on how the wind is blowing)..........gave in to CD due to the lack of snap, crackle and pops.....and skips, then the ease and portability.

Never kept my cds in a hot car or extreme temps.........only had like 2 that had rot and they were used..........

Hell, right now at this moment, Snood ripping more CDs to me PC and externals in flac and mp320 - reason me rarely pop on the "latest CD"' thread is because Snood would have most of the posts on it :music...maybe besides Quad Linda :howl :)

Latest CD sample - Traffic later years and live stuff.......ummm LOVE (the band) way later albums and Arthur Lee solo .....Michael Bloomfield box set and solo stuff , oh and THE TRIP soundtrack - Electric Flag (check out track FINE JUNG THING) he might be top 3 guitarists ever - turn it up loud :music

[video=youtube;I4Ujo1JCSbk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Ujo1JCSbk[/video]

.........Rolling Stones Vault CD/Bluray stuff...........Moby Grape - Wow/Grape Jam.....Some early Zappa and so much morrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre

So yeah.......the mailman hates Snood:mad:@:

I was in college when CDs came out, and I was very excited! My school was in a small town and the local used and import record store had about 15 or 20 titles in total, as CDs were initially hard to get. I didn't have a CD player but I was concerned that if I didn't buy a CD when I found it, it would never be repressed and I would be sorry down the road. Who knew if the format was going to catch on? My first CD was "And Then There Were Three" by Genesis (West German pressing) because that was the only prog rock-ish album this store had available. I probably owned 10 or 15 CDs before I ever had a CD player.

Question???

Does anyone still have the longbox cases that they came in when they first came out??:mad:@:

The boxes intact? No. But I have my wall.

long1.jpglong2.jpglong3.jpglong4.jpg

Happy and sad anniversary:D:(

I’m a mainly CD format collector (1300 aprox). Being physical hi-res format (SACD, Bluray audio, HDCD, DVD -Audio/Video) my second one (200 aprox). Unfortunately all these formats are in a hard time. CD is the survival and also becoming a niche format. It’s mad to see how good music is being released in vinyl and DL formats exclusively, which I don’t like, although I have purchased some vinyls and DLs because of the music. Ironically, this is the only way to listen to it.

Streaming is not an option and will be only if physical formats disappear. Vinyl won’t be an alternative because of sound (clics and pops) and space so I’ll continue to support CD format as long as music labels want (y)

As for my first CD: Mecano - Descanso Dominical (spanish band)
First SACD: Sting - Brand New Day
First DVD-A: Björk - Vespertine
First Bluray-A: Roling Stones - Grrr!

:rolleyes:

Back