DVD-A coming to Sony universal player. Yes, DVD-Audio!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who knows, but unless the Sony is built like a brick shit house and they give you unmatched customer support.... then.....

a word on Sony Tech support: Lean to speak native Indian, not sure what language is spoken there. And try to explain a minor issue- lost cause-don't waste your time. I learned this from experience.

a word on Sony Tech support: Lean to speak native Indian, not sure what language is spoken there. And try to explain a minor issue- lost cause-don't waste your time. I learned this from experience.

I've owned quite a few SONY components over the years and if there is one thing I've learned....when it fails don't even bother trying to get it fixed. Replace it with a newer component other than a SONY. This includes their Triniton TVs, as well. NEVER again!

SONY....LOW grade Baloney....not that baloney isn't LOW grade to begin with.

I travelled a lot to India for work. I was surprised to hear there is over 1000 languages spoken, however English is an official language and the language for business, higher education and government. Many still speak English with a very strong accent that's difficult to understand even when face to face. Over the phone is always an issue.

Especially trying to explain a technical issue they just don't get it they're dealing with so many models so many different products and just reading from a computer screen you contact a company like Oppo and it gets done no matter what it is very simply

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

On Sony's website they call this the "The play-anything player" (yet it doesn't appear to play .iso's like my Oppo does).

Later down the page it say's "Play almost any disc and file format"

You do realize Sony that there is a distinction between "anything" and "almost anything"? You know, basically akin to a giant LIE.

Fail

Some more infos, as the Manual is available in Dutch and other languages. Still no english (or german for me), but I still pumped it through googles translation service. Here's some stuff that I found interesting:

"Some DVD AUDIO discs have hidden groups and require password entry. See disk to get the password."
--> Never owned a DVD-A Player, was that a thing? :-D

"The player does not play DST encoded files."
--> It only supports DSF or DFF file types.

"The player can not play such files in DTS format
on a DLNA server."
--> That might be a letdown for people who'd like to use it as a streamer, too. But you still can playback a lot of file types via USB WITH DTS and so on it seems.

It actually accepts everything that it's been advertised for: Blu Ray, DVD-A, SACD and CD media. That's kinda cool. But what I had hoped to be found is not in the dutch manual: the option to playback multi channel hi res / DSD media...

I was at BBY and checked out the Samsung.. the real UHD player. What a cheap looking thing that is. Looks like something that would cost $50, not $399. Made in Indonesia.

I was at BBY and checked out the Samsung.. the real UHD player. What a cheap looking thing that is. Looks like something that would cost $50, not $399. Made in Indonesia.

I wouldn't touch UHD with a ten foot pole at this time as the standards have still NOT been set in stone.

An acquaintance who does have this Samsung swears it upsamples better than any machine (including OPPO) that he has ever seen.

As with ANY new technology....it pays to wait.

Sony has a listing on its website for a new player, the UBP-X800 (link: http://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800)

It plays 4K discs and everything else the UHP-H1 does as well, including SACDs and DVD-As.

Edit to add - cool video for the unit:

[video=youtube;fgXql9XBqkE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgXql9XBqkE[/video]

Thanks for sharing, ubertrout. This is the player I have seriously been eyeing for my OLED 3D bedroom TV. At a price price of $300 and with two HDMI out connectors it's perfect and a serious competitor for OPPO's 203 4K UHD player (at $549 FIRM). It should be shipping out in March (this month) so I'm sure I'll bite on this model.

AmazonUS is showing this player as out of stock but note the 'exurberant' 8 5 star reviews on their website: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UBP-X80...ords=sony+ubp-x800+4k+ultra+hd+blu-ray+player

And it sports an all metal body with a steel frame.......a luxury at this price point!

Thanks for sharing, ubertrout. This is the player I have seriously been eyeing for my OLED 3D bedroom TV. At a price price of $300 and with two HDMI out connectors it's perfect and a serious competitor for OPPO's 203 4K UHD player (at $549 FIRM). It should be shipping out in March (this month) so I'm sure I'll bite on this model.

AmazonUS is showing this player as out of stock but note the 'exurberant' 8 5 star reviews on their website: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-UBP-X80...ords=sony+ubp-x800+4k+ultra+hd+blu-ray+player

And it sports an all metal body with a steel frame.......a luxury at this price point!

With much better streaming options than Oppo and half the price, it seems like they're really trying to take on Oppo head-on. If I had a 4K TV I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

There is no doubt that this model, UBP-X800 is a big time bang per buck, or so it seems. Yes, I'm an Oppo loyalist.... but I have to admit, this one has my attention. I may just get this, while keeping my 103 for obvious :banana: reasons.

I wonder when it will be in stock?

There is no doubt that this model, UBP-X800 is a big time bang per buck, or so it seems. Yes, I'm an Oppo loyalist.... but I have to admit, this one has my attention. I may just get this, while keeping my 103 for obvious :banana: reasons.

I wonder when it will be in stock?

At this incredible price point, Gene, I have to agree. I've been keeping my eye on Amazon and Crutchfield for availability as SONY did mention it was shipping sometime in March. I will also probably spring for the OPPO 205 when it becomes available for my MAIN system.

BTW, early promos also stated that with purchase of this player [UBP-X800], one could choose 2 FREE 4K UHD discs from SONY [via mail order coupon provided w/player]] so it does make this deal even sweeter!

Back