TesseracT - "Polaris" CD/DVD set with 5.1 mix by Bruce Soord

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Hi All,

I just saw this preorder available at Burning Shed. https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/272/6776/

I used to be a pretty big Prog Metal fan 10 years ago. Not as much these days (I'm getting old perhaps), but I'll probably order this. It says DVD-V, but hopefully it contains DTS rather than Dulby.

Polaris is the third album from Metal innovators TesseracT and its first on the Kscope label.

2 disc CD/DVD-V edition including hi resolution stereo & 5.1 mixes.

---------

Since its inception in 2007, TesseracT has been at the forefront of the ever-evolving modern Metal scene.

Originally formed as a studio project by guitarist Acle Kahney, TesseracT dispensed with established notions of what Metal should sound like and quickly developed a unique and daring sonic approach, spearheading the ‘djent’ movement. Acle recruited an accomplished line-up capable of realising his groundbreaking compositions and once complete, the band embarked upon a quest to inject originality and excitement into the predictable Metal scene of the late 2000s.

The band’s debut album One received widespread critical acclaim and included the staggering six-part centrepiece Concealing Fate, which brilliantly showcased TesseracT’s pioneering style and unstoppable arsenal of off-kilter riffs, soaring melodies and disorientating atmospherics. The primarily acoustic Perspective EP appeared in May 2012 to an ecstatic response, and shortly after the band's status as Progressive Metal’s most important creative force was publicly celebrated when TesseracT picked up the Best New Band trophy at 2012’s inaugural Progressive Music Awards in London. The band released its second, equally acclaimed, album Altered State in early 2013.

Having found a new creative energy after reuniting with original singer Dan Tompkins, the band’s highly anticipated 2015 opus Polaris is an undoubted evolution from Altered State and features skilful experimentation with sounds and tones, plus a deeper exploration of the core attributes that define TesseracT’s trademark sound.

---------

Deluxe media book edition with 24 page booklet and bonus DVD-V, including hi resolution stereo (96/24 Stereo LPCM) & 5.1 audio (mixed by Bruce Soord from The Pineapple Thief).

Pre-order for 18th September release.

Hopefully they offer a flac download. I'd rather order DVD-A or Blu-ray but I'm not spending money on DVD-V 5.1 mixes in 2015.

Apparently the audio is in hires: "Deluxe media book edition with 24 page booklet and bonus DVD-V, including hi resolution stereo (96/24 Stereo LPCM) & 5.1 audio (mixed by Bruce Soord from The Pineapple Thief)."

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that. How is the mix and sound quality on that one, haikubass?

Firstly, it's DD 5.1. But overall, I have no major complaints whatsoever, and I've never really been good at math ;) The mix is front-heavy, yet it confines the studio room really well. The rears are used mainly for "acoustic" guitars. Sonically it's also working, the sound never gets messy, and the instruments are well defined for the genre.

If you happen to be a fan of the band/style, it's easy to sway to the "yay" side. This is basically a live recording enhanced with studio quality sound and a decent mix. Remember Metallica doing similar bonus disc edition for St. Anger? Well, that one ain't the winner out of these two.

I can't imagine myself listening to stuff like this on a regular basis anymore, yet I'm really interested in the new TesseracT album in surround. Hopefully we end up at least with a dts disc this time around.

I'm glad to see someone besides Jens Bogren take a stab at a metal surround mix. Granted, Jens has a couple decent mixes, and the Distant Satellites surround was excellent, but there's just no excuse for the utter atrocity that was the Ghost Reveries surround mix (that album deserves so much better).

Oddly enough, I had noticed a few months back that TesseracT had signed to Kscope, and I had this passing thought that just maybe, being on Kscope, there would be a possibility for some surround releases. So, I can't say I'm completely surprised by this; it was like I already knew!;)

I really like that Katatonia Sanctitude mix BS did, so I'm hoping he can do something great with this.

Hi All,

I just saw this preorder available at Burning Shed. https://www.burningshed.com/store/kscope/product/272/6776/

I used to be a pretty big Prog Metal fan 10 years ago. Not as much these days (I'm getting old perhaps), but I'll probably order this. It says DVD-V, but hopefully it contains DTS rather than Dulby.

GREAT! The more rock,metal, prog the better. I will definitely pre order this right now!

Now if Pagan's mind or riverside could be done next......

Firstly, it's DD 5.1. But overall, I have no major complaints whatsoever, and I've never really been good at math ;) The mix is front-heavy, yet it confines the studio room really well. The rears are used mainly for "acoustic" guitars. Sonically it's also working, the sound never gets messy, and the instruments are well defined for the genre.

If you happen to be a fan of the band/style, it's easy to sway to the "yay" side. This is basically a live recording enhanced with studio quality sound and a decent mix. Remember Metallica doing similar bonus disc edition for St. Anger? Well, that one ain't the winner out of these two.

I can't imagine myself listening to stuff like this on a regular basis anymore, yet I'm really interested in the new TesseracT album in surround. Hopefully we end up at least with a dts disc this time around.

Just added to basket on Amazon. Cheers.

I received a response from Lisa at Burning Shed that the DVD-V is:

Stereo 24/48 LPCM
DTS 5.1 (full-rate 1509 kbps)
Dolby AC3 5.1

So, it is at least DTS which is good news. I noticed the pre-order page has been updated with this info as well. Thanks Lisa!

Lisa inquired about why it was only 48k rather than 96k. It turns out it WILL be 96k:

DVD-V:
96/24 STEREO LPCM
DTS 96/24 5.1 SURROUND
DOLBY DIGITAL AC3 5.1 SURROUND

And that’s final ;-)

The Burning Shed page has already been updated to reflect the 96k sample rate.

BTW... Lisa also said:

Give my best to all the guys on QuadrophonicQuad, would you? Wish I had time to still go on there…

You just gotta love Burning Shed's service. (y)

This must be a first, I ordered this from a Canadian online source and got this before release date and I was told it won't arrive till Sept.28.
This was a preorder from chapters canada.
I might have to preorder more things from them.
My David Gilmour is from the same and says its on the way.

peter

Came today. I will listen a couple of times before judging, but the first impression I am very disappointed in how boring the drumming is. Repetitive snare beat through, no creativity whatsoever. The drums are the first thing I listen for, Sting was right when he said a rock band is only as good as their drummer.

Okay I have listened to this album a few times now. I am pretty disappointed in the mix. First of all it is pretty loud, much less dynamic that I expected, not brick walled but ample compression used. The snare drum beat is fairly loud in rears and rest of the drum kit sounds like mush, no clarity at all. Very poor sounding, and poorly mixed drums. I literally can not tell if the bass drum was used, cymbals barely audible, no bottom end from drums. To me the drums are the most important element in any mix, without a good drum sound you have nothing. The bass is nice and full, no lead guitar, hardly any metal elements, not what I expected. More like a slightly heavier Anathema. I would rate this a 6. I hope Bruce does a much better job with his other mixes, including Opeth.

Hmmm... if I didn't know Tesseract I'd think you've been listening to a different band. Being a drummer myself I can say those rhythms are tricky, not exactly a predictable album when it comes to rhythm. Tesseract is one of the leading bands from the current "djent" scene (which basically means Meshuggah influenced). No easy rhythms to be found there, they always find a way to make a simple 4/4 sound complicated.

For those who have never heard Tesseract before, imagine Meshuggah with clean (and very good) vocals and many layers of lush, clean guitars behind those downtuned 7 string guitar riffs. I would have never compared them to Anathema but I think I can see where you find the resemblance, as they build some of their songs in a similar way.

I can picture a great surround mix of this album and Bruce seemed to be very enthusiastic about its sound. I'm ordering it anyway. It's a great album imo. Kscope is streaming the full album on Youtube so if you're curious about it you can easily give it a go.

Hmmm... if I didn't know Tesseract I'd think you've been listening to a different band. Being a drummer myself I can say those rhythms are tricky, not exactly a predictable album when it comes to rhythm. Tesseract is one of the leading bands from the current "djent" scene (which basically means Meshuggah influenced). No easy rhythms to be found there, they always find a way to make a simple 4/4 sound complicated.

For those who have never heard Tesseract before, imagine Meshuggah with clean (and very good) vocals and many layers of lush, clean guitars behind those downtuned 7 string guitar riffs. I would have never compared them to Anathema but I think I can see where you find the resemblance, as they build some of their songs in a similar way.

I can picture a great surround mix of this album and Bruce seemed to be very enthusiastic about its sound. I'm ordering it anyway. It's a great album imo. Kscope is streaming the full album on Youtube so if you're curious about it you can easily give it a go.

90% of the drum kit is buried in the mix, so I can only judge off the repetitive snare which is much louder. This album is NOTHING like Meshuggah, but I do like it. I just wish the drums had been mixed better.

Can't judge the surround mix yet but drums are easily heard in the stereo mix. Kick drum is definitely very interesting. It's true that the snare is louder than the rest, and if you only hear it I'm sure it sounds very repetitive.

Regarding the Meshuggah resemblance, you just need to type both bands' names and do a Google search to read a lot of messages claiming they're a Meshuggah clone/rip off (which they're not by any strecht in my opinion, but the influence is obvious anyway). First track of this new albums sounds especially like Meshuggah. I respect your opinion keenly, I read this forum from long ago and can see you know what you're talking about, but being myself both a Meshuggah and Tesseract fan I do see MANY common musical elements between both bands, and I'm not exactly the only one who thinks so.

Back