UK "Night After Night" CD/Blu-Ray set (with Bob Clearmountain 5.1 mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember what the talk was about the missing multitracks. (Beyond "They're missing." that is)
I sure would have bought the box just for that! And if one of those radio broadcast shows could have been multitracked... well, I would have already bought it but been even more out of control happy or something!

Danger Money is very much the missing link between the Crimson-ish first album and Asia though. And the live album is from the Danger Money tour.

I don't want to get into the politics behind this, but it seems that the late John Wetton's estate is suing Eddie Jobson for unpaid royalties, which has caused some fans to boycot this release...
More info here: http://johnwetton.com/

At the end of the day it almost always comes down to money...sad commentary regardless of who was right..

I don't want to get into the politics behind this, but it seems that the late John Wetton's estate is suing Eddie Jobson for unpaid royalties, which has caused some fans to boycot this release...
More info here: http://johnwetton.com/

Well , if they boycott this release they are shooting themselves in the foot cause then EJ will take longer to pay them!!!

The 5.1 remix of the Night After Night live album is really good. Kind of weird. Very aggressive. Uses surround in a kind of an odd way. All good things right along with not just being predictable.

But that's it. There's nothing else in this set to redeem it. In fact, the rest of the set is far below average quality!
No surround remixes of the studio albums due to lost multitrack tapes. Can't blame anyone here for that!
The 24/96 masters of the stereo mixes of the two studio albums are volume war hash. Not proper HD masters in any way shape or form! Complete fail there.
The live shows from 1978 are significantly lower quality than the fan shared radio broadcast recordings that trade. Complete fail there.

The remix on the NAN live album is nice... But it's an "after the fact" show. Bill and Alan are very much missed! Song arrangements have been watered down. The band is headed squarely for what would become Wetton's pop era. For all the good in the new mix, the show pales compared to any of the radio broadcasts or bootlegs from the original lineup.

An awful lot to pay for a remix of one of the least interesting recordings from the band and then novelty inferior copies of everything else.
But it IS a genuinely great 5.1 mix.

The 5.1 remix of the Night After Night live album is really good. Kind of weird. Very aggressive. Uses surround in a kind of an odd way. All good things right along with not just being predictable.

What do you mean by "in an odd way"? I assume there are actual instruments in the rears in addition to the audience, otherwise why bother...

What do you mean by "in an odd way"?

Mostly that it isn't approached in the standard predictable way. Like drums centered in front for one example. The mix places keys/bass/drums across L/C/R for their 'home base' location in the mix. The drums will occupy the right side of the room in stereo between the R & Rs channels but have aggressive stereo/surround placement front left to right at times. Same with the keys on the opposite side. Elements of any instrument or vocals can take the center channel when featured in the arrangement. Just a refreshing 'gloves off' aggressive use of the surround format. There are moments where you hear the live room sound fairly strong when it was decided it was appropriate along with moments of very discrete aggressive mixing of the direct sounds.

I assume there are actual instruments in the rears in addition to the audience, otherwise why bother...
Very much yes! But not in a gimmicky or awkward way like, for example, some of the older quad mixes that separated instruments between channels but didn't really handle the ambience presentation or "weight" of the instruments very well.
If that's a rant against the cookie cutter mix that's mostly stereo in front with only ambience/audience in the rear, I agree completely!
Having said that... I'll take such a mix if it's all that exists. Stereo up front and room in back is better than stereo up front and nothing in back!
However, when that is done as low budget even though the multitracks still exist... well, that's just wrong!

I'll say that this mix very likely got singed a bit in mastering. Probably just because it was a surround mix it didn't get pummeled like the stereo content in this set. (Maybe we got lucky that someone maybe treated it as a novelty with regards to that?) No deal breakers there. This is the real deal and a good mix. It's just still the weakest recording this band ever released. And again, everything else in this set is volume war destroyed low budget hash. You'll listen to this once or twice and then go back to the radio shows and boots from 1978. (That you already had in better quality than the copies in this set.)

Very much yes! But not in a gimmicky or awkward way like, for example, some of the older quad mixes that separated instruments between channels but didn't really handle the ambience presentation or "weight" of the instruments very well.

Good to know. Personally, I'm a fan of those old quads. I just got the Q8 of Mahavishnu Orchestra's Between Nothingness & Eternity and it's one of the best live surround mixes I've ever heard. Violin in one rear speaker, Keyboard in the other, and crowd noise in both.

Other live surround mixes I thought really worked well are the Eagles' Farewell I Tour and Loggins & Messina's Sittin In Again At The Santa Barbara Bowl.

Last edited:
Good to know. Personally, I'm a fan of those old quads. I just got the Q8 of Mahavishnu Orchestra's Between Nothingness & Eternity and it's one of the best live surround mixes I've ever heard. Violin in one rear speaker, Keyboard in the other, and crowd noise in both.

Other live surround mixes I thought really worked well are the Eagles' Farewell I Tour and Loggins & Messina's Sittin In Again At The Santa Barbara Bowl.
I'm a fan too, don't get me wrong. Just trying to explain what I hear. I think you'll like this.

I'm a fan too, don't get me wrong. Just trying to explain what I hear. I think you'll like this.

I finally listened to it on my main system at a robust volume and compared to the Stereo SHM~SACD [which was NO slouch], Clearmountain's 5.1 remix opened up the soundstage considerably with instruments from the front forcefully extending to the rears without being flashy.

Not being a diehard fan of the group, I felt there was some solid musicianship on display and with what Clearmountain had to work with I felt his choices were tasteful and prudent.

And I would recommend this remix to anyone who has even a casual interest in the group.

Last edited:
Why the hell is this title so damn difficult to obtain from any of the normal outlets which either reflect a protracted delivery date or that it's on backorder. It was just released, wasn't it!!!!?????

Maybe for once the words "limited" are actually true...now if you really want a copy...I know a place...just saying...but it's not going to be as cheap as the primary outlets...it's going to take $35.98 which includes shipping...and if you are "lucky" enough to live in Bruce's State(New Jersey)..you will have to pay tax.....So if anyone want's to know...just say so on this thread and I'll divulge the source....I personally wasn't interested in this title...UNTIL I realized it was a Clearmountain mix...so I saw the error of my ways and just ordered one....they claim it's in stock...but I've never dealt with these people....I wonder if they are "connected"....oh well...I've already ordered...so if anyone else wants to jump in the deep end of the pool with me...just say so on this thread:unsure:o_O:ROFLMAO::dance

Back