4 more Quadio titles coming in May 2024!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, the quad mix of The Best of The Doors that appears on the Rhino Blu-Ray is the best-sounding digital quad reissue to come out of Warners, and no surprise because it was remastered by Bruce Botnick himself.

For me it even bests Steve Hoffman's remaster of the same album for the AF SACD - even though the AF SACD is from the original master and the Rhino is from an LP copy tape, Hoffman's mastering sounds floppy and lifeless by comparison to Botnick's work.
I think that it is a just case of a flat master vs one tweaked with a bit of equalisation. As with the 7" Sony Japan re-releases vs AF both versions have gained praise as well as have their detractors, some complaints are about the use of smiley face equalisation.

I have always used a bit of smiley face (bass and treble boost) with vintage recordings. So whether such equalisation is applied already or not it can be corrected simply (adjusted to your individual taste) with the twist of a couple of knobs on vintage systems at least.

In my opinion, the quad mix of The Best of The Doors that appears on the Rhino Blu-Ray is the best-sounding digital quad reissue to come out of Warners, and no surprise because it was remastered by Bruce Botnick himself.

For me it even bests Steve Hoffman's remaster of the same album for the AF SACD - even though the AF SACD is from the original master and the Rhino is from an LP copy tape, Hoffman's mastering sounds floppy and lifeless by comparison to Botnick's work.
Totally agree

I think where the AF SACD really shines is in the stereo layer.

Again that could be because it uses the original first generation tapes with Botnick's mixes, and as Steve mentions, those were "handled with a light mastering touch".

Regarding the earlier comment "Foraging Rhino did indicate the end of May QUADIO box set will "knock yer socks off!"" ...

It might be worth noting that there is a Carly Simon song titled "In Two Straight Lines" that says
Passing the days and thinking up ways
Of knocking the socks off of Miss Clavell.

Then, on the other hand, there is a Joni Mitchell quote, "Edith Piaf knocked my socks off when I was 8, but I didn't know what she was singing about."

So that's no help at all, unfortunately.
What artist do you think is coming on this new box set?

I think where the AF SACD really shines is in the stereo layer.

Again that could be because it uses the original first generation tapes with Botnick's mixes, and as Steve mentions, those were "handled with a light mastering touch".
For that matter, I consider the MLP DVD~A Stereo tracks on the Perception box set for the DOORS debut album superior to the Surround Track!

What artist do you think is coming on this new box set?
With 5 Surround Albums to her credit ...hands down CARLY. Seals and Crofts have 4 surround titles but doubtful they'd be as popular as Carly!

SEALS & CROFTS -
Diamond Girl. Warner Brothers BS4-2699 (CD4), WSTQ-2699-QF (QR),
L9B-2699 (Q8)
I'll Play for You. Warner Brothers BS4-2848 (CD4), WSTQ-2848-QF
(QR), L9B-2848 (Q8)
Summer Breeze. Warner Brothers BS4-2629 (CD4), WSTQ-2629-QF
(QR), L9B-2629 (Q8)
Unborn Child. Warner Brothers BS4-2761 (CD4), WSTQ-2761-QF (QR),
L9B-2761 (Q8)

With 5 Surround Albums to her credit ...hands down CARLY. Seals and Crofts have 4 surround titles but doubtful they'd be as popular as Carly!

SEALS & CROFTS -
Diamond Girl. Warner Brothers BS4-2699 (CD4), WSTQ-2699-QF (QR),
L9B-2699 (Q8)
I'll Play for You. Warner Brothers BS4-2848 (CD4), WSTQ-2848-QF
(QR), L9B-2848 (Q8)
Summer Breeze. Warner Brothers BS4-2629 (CD4), WSTQ-2629-QF
(QR), L9B-2629 (Q8)
Unborn Child. Warner Brothers BS4-2761 (CD4), WSTQ-2761-QF (QR),
L9B-2761 (Q8)
Their Greatest Hits album likely has sold as well as Carly’s Best of. Maybe better even.

Just be careful saying that on the SH forums, or the Gorts will come get you!

That's NOT to say that a Seals & Crofts' QUADIO box set won't be a considerstion down the pike! But their GH compilation has NOT been remixed for QUAD!
That’s to say it is more likely rather than not. The Reverse is what I meant.

IMHO, the Carly's are best served in a box set. Why? Because honestly, other than the single hit from her first album and the two hits from her second album, there is not much demand for the remaining tunes on those two LPs. Carly did not really catch on big time until "No Secrets".

Single releases of "Carly Simon" and "Playing Possum" probably would be passed over by many Qaudio fans, thus creating titles that would not move a big number. Of course, "No Secrets" would be a winner, but then again, post-No Secrets, "Hotcakes" sold fairly well but "Playing Possum" was not big seller when it came out. Carly is on the same popularity block as someone like Carole King. They are both great songwriters and artists, but 75% of their fans know "No Secrets" and "Tapestry" and very little of their other work. There is great stuff on the non-popular albums, but they do not get the exposure that the main two do.

So, in order to get those titles out and insure they move, the box is the ideal solution to me. This way, the fans who buy the box can discover the unfamiliar material in it's quadraphonic glory and maybe appreciate the tracks they never listened to or skipped over when they bought the album back in the day, recorded the hit songs to cassette for the car, and parked the album in the stack

Last edited:
IMHO, the Carly's are best served in a box set. Why? Because honestly, other than the single hit from her first album and the two hits from her second album, there is not much demand for the remaining tunes on those two LPs. Carly did not really catch on big time until "No Secrets".

Single releases of "Carly Simon" and "Playing Possum" probably would be passed over by many Qaudio fans, thus creating titles that would not move a big number. Of course, "No Secrets" would be a winner, but then again, post-No Secrets, "Hotcakes" sold fairly well but "Playing Possum" was not big seller when it came out. Carly is on the same popularity block as someone like Carole King. They are both great songwriters and artists, but 75% of their fans know "No Secrets" and "Tapestry" and very little of their other work. There is great stuff on the non-popular albums, but they do not get the exposure that the main two do.

So, in order to get those titles out and insure they move, the box is the ideal solution to me. This way, the fans who buy the box can discover the unfamiliar material in it's quadraphonic glory and maybe appreciate the tracks they never listened to or skipped over when they bought the album back in the day, recorded the hit songs to cassette for the car, and parked the album in the stack
I have to agree!

Carly Simon - The Quadio Masters, featuring previously unissued 4.0 immersive content. $119.97, but for a special price of $99.97 first week of release at Rhino only. Yeah, and just pray it don't come out the same week that Sony Japan has "Turnstiles" 7" SACD out and Dutton Vocalion is offering up three absolute must haves like Waylon Jennings, Edgar Winter, and Nilsson which would crush Carly for at least that month anyway.

And that's the way it goes sometimes.

Did Hoffman actually do any mastering on the quad/5.1 mixes released by Audio Fidelity? For example, on Blood, Sweat & Tears, only Gus Skinas receives credit for transferring the quad mix. As I recall, this was the norm for most of the releases, where Steve only touched the stereo mixes.

Carly Simon - The Quadio Masters, featuring previously unissued 4.0 immersive content. $119.97, but for a special price of $99.97 first week of release at Rhino only.
Count me in!
Yeah, and just pray it don't come out the same week that Sony Japan has "Turnstiles" 7" SACD out
I'll pass on that one I don't like Bill Joel.
and Dutton Vocalion is offering up three absolute must haves like Waylon Jennings, Edgar Winter, and Nilsson which would crush Carly for at least that month anyway.
I don't care about Waylon Jennings but would love the other two, but what is the likelihood of them coming out at the same time or at all?

Back