What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the Luther Vandross dvda again today and it was marked down from 16.99 to 9.99. I already have it or would have bought at that price. The Frampton comes alive dvda was back on the shelf at 50 and saw the 2disc REM Monster for 6.99. I wish I could find a few more of the titles that I have had in my hands but didn't buy when they came out. After the America find I am stopping to look more often.

that Vandross would make for a good trader ;)

or if any QQ-ers you know don't have it already.. maybe you could grab it for them? ;) ;)

Lizard King beat me with the scans and links, but yes, it appears these three got single disc jewel case issues. Personally, I prefer the digipak versions, mainly because they fit in with regular CD's on a shelf and the added bonus of a stereo CD for use elsewhere is always handy.

Oh yes, I'll keep looking and thanks for the pointers. I do regular searches in the hope of finding a sensibly priced copy but haven't been successful yet.

funnily enough I prefer the DVDA "super jewel plus" cases (as they were called, I guess to differentiate them from the smaller but still rounded SACD "super jewel" cases) as there's something a bit more collectible/unique about them, though I do agree a CD + DVD-A combo is the perfect package that satisfies all needs and should be/should have become the standard for surround releases, imho.

have you tried storing your DVDA "super jewel plus" cases on their side (i.e. on their clasp/opening edge, as opposed to upright)?

they still have useful title info on the spine, though they do stand a little bit higher than a regular CD/SACD.. even so, they will then fit into most regular CD storage units that way (like the Ikea "Benno" tower CD/DVD units; link below.. I have one - now stuffed full - for my DVDAs & DTS CDs that come in "Super Jewel Plus" cases.. with the central/fixed shelf holding the smaller Warner CD/DVDA digipacks, like Jackson Browne "Running On Empty", David Crosby "If I Could Only Remember My Name", Graham Nash "Songs For Beginners", etc.. each tower holds 180.. eek!).

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/07305310/

I get more pissed off at the big boxes and less regular packages, like the Immersion boxes, the Mostly Autumn DTS (which is in a "King-Sized" DVD-Video jewel case.. Grrr!) and the recent Thick As A Brick book package, as they have no natural place alongside any of my other surround stuff!!

just as an aside, for anyone looking for DVDA replacement cases, here's some info..

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/super-jewel-box-plus-p/sjb-plus.htm

They're not the older "narrow hinge" variety but they're perfect replacements for about 10-15% of DVDAs that originally came in wider hinged jobbies.. and they still work for the remainder of your DVDA's, just with gaps at the rear inlay/hinge part.

Deep Purple - Concerto For Group and Orchestra - DVD-A

I see that this is PAL... I assume there was a NTSC version also. The back states "PAL & NTSC - Picture format 4:3"

Deep Purple - Concerto For Group and Orchestra - DVD-A

I see that this is PAL... I assume there was a NTSC version also. The back "

my DVDA is identical to yours, PAL in big pale purple letters on the bottom left corner of the rear inlay, with "PAL & NTSC - Picture format 4:3" just below the band pic on the back.

Seal: Best 1991-2004 (DVDA) (*),
Seventh Sojourn - Moody Blues (DTS),
Chicago - II (DVDA).

* - Thank you to QQ Member Subho (mch007) for the fantastic "sealed" Seal DVDA :) (y)

My Private Nation - Train (M/C SACD),
Stills - Stephen Stills (DTS CD) (*),
Nightwatch - Silje Nergaard (Hybrid M/C SACD).

(* This completes - to the best of my knowledge - my Miller Nevada/HDS collection of original quad mixes on DTS CD).

:banana:

that Vandross would make for a good trader ;)

or if any QQ-ers you know don't have it already.. maybe you could grab it for them? ;) ;)

I'm now beginning to appreciate the value of acquiring discs for the purposes of trading ;)

I wished I'd known you were after it, I had 3 copies at one point!

I wished I had known you'd got 3 copies. I would have certainly relieved you of one of them! ;)

funnily enough I prefer the DVDA "super jewel plus" cases (as they were called, I guess to differentiate them from the smaller but still rounded SACD "super jewel" cases) as there's something a bit more collectible/unique about them, though I do agree a CD + DVD-A combo is the perfect package that satisfies all needs and should be/should have become the standard for surround releases, imho.

have you tried storing your DVDA "super jewel plus" cases on their side (i.e. on their clasp/opening edge, as opposed to upright)?

they still have useful title info on the spine, though they do stand a little bit higher than a regular CD/SACD.. even so, they will then fit into most regular CD storage units that way (like the Ikea "Benno" tower CD/DVD units; link below.. I have one - now stuffed full - for my DVDAs & DTS CDs that come in "Super Jewel Plus" cases.. with the central/fixed shelf holding the smaller Warner CD/DVDA digipacks, like Jackson Browne "Running On Empty", David Crosby "If I Could Only Remember My Name", Graham Nash "Songs For Beginners", etc.. each tower holds 180.. eek!).

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/07305310/

I get more pissed off at the big boxes and less regular packages, like the Immersion boxes, the Mostly Autumn DTS (which is in a "King-Sized" DVD-Video jewel case.. Grrr!) and the recent Thick As A Brick book package, as they have no natural place alongside any of my other surround stuff!!

just as an aside, for anyone looking for DVDA replacement cases, here's some info..

http://www.sleevecityusa.com/super-jewel-box-plus-p/sjb-plus.htm

They're not the older "narrow hinge" variety but they're perfect replacements for about 10-15% of DVDAs that originally came in wider hinged jobbies.. and they still work for the remainder of your DVDA's, just with gaps at the rear inlay/hinge part.

When I first saw the "super jewel plus cases" back in the day, I thought they were a good trade off between CD cases that were too small and larger vinyl sleeves with the increased booklet size being a bit more appealing, but as you point out, all these differing sizes in a world that seems geared up to the "standard" 5" case is a PITA! ;)

The digipak's are only better because of their size conformity, but the card is more susceptible to damage, so you can't win really. Back in the day, when 12" vinyl ruled the world, there was plenty of space to be unique with packaging. Nowadays, labels and artists have to do all kinds of things to make their package stand out. One day i will treat myself to some proper modular shelving for all my audio software.

Yeah, I've seen jewel cased versions and the 2 disc (CD/DVD-A) versions too. I have all their albums as I bought the delxue editions as downloads so either way, I'm not fussy which versions I get, so long as they're multi-channel.

'Out of Time' has to be my all time favourite R.E.M. album so buying that last week was a big thrill for me. And listening to 'Monster' again today, I've re-found my deep love for that album. 'Automatic' is a classic and I need to have that, as well as 'Green' and 'Document'. But as a collector by nature, I'd have to have all the others too ;)

I've just managed to pick up two more R.E.M. CD/DVD-A packs for less than £10 each, sealed and new! "Reveal" and "Around the Sun" are winging their way to me as we speak. I've also got my eye on three more digipak versions (Up, Green and New Adventures in HiFi) all for less than £20! There's also a DVD-A only copy of 'Automatic for the People' and Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' calling out my name. This is getting expensive! Oh, and I saw some bargain examples of some of the Talking Heads albums in DVD-A... <sigh>

I'm now beginning to appreciate the value of acquiring discs for the purposes of trading ;)

I wished I had known you'd got 3 copies. I would have certainly relieved you of one of them! ;)

When I first saw the "super jewel plus cases" back in the day, I thought they were a good trade off between CD cases that were too small and larger vinyl sleeves with the increased booklet size being a bit more appealing, but as you point out, all these differing sizes in a world that seems geared up to the "standard" 5" case is a PITA! ;)

The digipak's are only better because of their size conformity, but the card is more susceptible to damage, so you can't win really. Back in the day, when 12" vinyl ruled the world, there was plenty of space to be unique with packaging. Nowadays, labels and artists have to do all kinds of things to make their package stand out. One day i will treat myself to some proper modular shelving for all my audio software.

I've just managed to pick up two more R.E.M. CD/DVD-A packs for less than £10 each, sealed and new! "Reveal" and "Around the Sun" are winging their way to me as we speak. I've also got my eye on three more digipak versions (Up, Green and New Adventures in HiFi) all for less than £20! There's also a DVD-A only copy of 'Automatic for the People' and Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' calling out my name. This is getting expensive! Oh, and I saw some bargain examples of some of the Talking Heads albums in DVD-A... <sigh>

I really should've bought all those R.E.M. CD/DVDA sets Fopp were flogging off at £3 a pop a couple of years ago..
(I got Green, Monster, Around The Sun, Reveal & Up all in one day for three quid each.. I couldn't believe it! it felt like Xmas!) :eek:

I really should've bought all those R.E.M. CD/DVDA sets Fopp were flogging off at £3 a pop a couple of years ago..
(I got Green, Monster, Around The Sun, Reveal & Up all in one day for three quid each.. I couldn't believe it! it felt like Xmas!) :eek:

Why is it we always seem to find out about these 'fire sales' after the event?? LOL ;)

£3 each?? Bloody hell!! Well, it looks like I'm slowly getting the full set, one by one. I did see someone try to flog 'New Adventures...' for £99.99 the other day. Bonkers.

I wonder if Fopp will ever rise from the ashes of the HMV debacle?

Why is it we always seem to find out about these 'fire sales' after the event?? LOL ;)

£3 each?? Bloody hell!! Well, it looks like I'm slowly getting the full set, one by one. I did see someone try to flog 'New Adventures...' for £99.99 the other day. Bonkers.

I wonder if Fopp will ever rise from the ashes of the HMV debacle?

haha.. you never know.. HMV had most of the Talking Heads Euro CD/DVDA sets for sale at around the same time for between £4 and £7 a go.. good times! I'm still hopeful HMV have some Scorpions SACDs knocking around in their stockrooms which might just make it out onto the shelves now they're constantly having clearouts!

Certainly an Isley 3+3 SACD came out of nowhere in there last year and was plonked on the shelves, still sealed, priced up at £18. Well, that didn't stay there very long, I can tell you that.. ;)

Those R.E.M.'s will no doubt go up in value in the next few years (although DVDAs for the most part don't seem to have skyrocketed the way SACDs have in the last few years).. but £99 does seem faintly ridiculous. More than £20 for any of the R.E.M DVDAs (except Document and the 'Super Jewel +' incarnation of "AFTP") at this point is really too much money I reckon.

Hard to tell with Fopp.. I guess it depends if the new HMV setup proves to be a Flopp .. or nott..! :D

They had them on sale over here too in the stores in about 2006/7 - I could've got a few of them for a fiver each.....

haha.. you never know.. HMV had most of the Talking Heads Euro CD/DVDA sets for sale at around the same time for between £4 and £7 a go.. good times! I'm still hopeful HMV have some Scorpions SACDs knocking around in their stockrooms which might just make it out onto the shelves now they're constantly having clearouts!

Certainly an Isley 3+3 SACD came out of nowhere in there last year and was plonked on the shelves, still sealed, priced up at £18. Well, that didn't stay there very long, I can tell you that.. ;)

Those R.E.M.'s will no doubt go up in value in the next few years (although DVDAs for the most part don't seem to have skyrocketed the way SACDs have in the last few years).. but £99 does seem faintly ridiculous. More than £20 for any of the R.E.M DVDAs (except Document and the 'Super Jewel +' incarnation of "AFTP") at this point is really too much money I reckon.

Hard to tell with Fopp.. I guess it depends if the new HMV setup proves to be a Flopp .. or nott..! :D

I still dig through the racks of HMV and the like (not that there are many of the latter any more). The other week, I turned up a copy of Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid', the deluxe 3 disc edition with the '74 quad mix in DD and DTS on disc 2. It was stickered at £16 but had 25% off in the blue cross sale! Made my day :)

I'll refuse to pay more than £20 for any of those R.E.M. discs at the moment. My heart leapt a little yesterday when I spied a digipak version of AFTP with a starting price of 99p, only to see the seller's notes state that it wasn't the CD/DVDA version as stated :(

I'm aware of the irony in what I'm about to say but I hate the fact that something I desire has to cost so bloody much just because it wasn't that popular with everyone else ;)

I hope Fopp or something like it returns. Or maybe it should start from a market stall again. Go back to its roots ;)

This arrived at lunchtime. Another one ticked off the list, and only £7.99, brand new and sealed!

542724_10151595176710499_428816529_n.jpg

Riding with the King -Eric Clapton & BB King DVDA

I only just got this DVDA too (after deliberating for years and years, I was never fussed about the album) but it was so cheap the other week I thought ah well its as good a time as any to get it.. not got round to playing it yet though (my piles too big! fnarr..).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back