What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still dig through the racks of HMV and the like (not that there are many of the latter any more). The other week, I turned up a copy of Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid', the deluxe 3 disc edition with the '74 quad mix in DD and DTS on disc 2. It was stickered at £16 but had 25% off in the blue cross sale! Made my day :)

I'll refuse to pay more than £20 for any of those R.E.M. discs at the moment. My heart leapt a little yesterday when I spied a digipak version of AFTP with a starting price of 99p, only to see the seller's notes state that it wasn't the CD/DVDA version as stated :(

I'm aware of the irony in what I'm about to say but I hate the fact that something I desire has to cost so bloody much just because it wasn't that popular with everyone else ;)

I hope Fopp or something like it returns. Or maybe it should start from a market stall again. Go back to its roots ;)

me too, I still rifle through their racks (for what its worth.. usually bugger all). Shame that Paranoid quad's taken from such a god-awful source, its the pits. At the risk of repeating myself (!) there's a gazillion times better transfer (I think done by Romanotrax but it could be another QQ-er) which is far superior in every way to the "official" release (not the first time that's happened, sure it won't be the last).

it is rather bizarre - and irksome - that things that "nobody" wanted at the time (hence the numbers of cut-out's and used-bin reject SACDs and DVDAs from back in the day that are available today) are now so sought after that they attract such grotesquely inflated prices.. but it is what it is.. ultimately I look on it as being half the challenge finding these discs now for decent money and accept that if I must own them I have to be resourceful and go treasure huntin'..! bit perverse and crazy but there ya go!

me too, I still rifle through their racks (for what its worth.. usually bugger all). Shame that Paranoid quad's taken from such a god-awful source, its the pits. At the risk of repeating myself (!) there's a gazillion times better transfer (I think done by Romanotrax but it could be another QQ-er) which is far superior in every way to the "official" release (not the first time that's happened, sure it won't be the last).

it is rather bizarre - and irksome - that things that "nobody" wanted at the time (hence the numbers of cut-out's and used-bin reject SACDs and DVDAs from back in the day that are available today) are now so sought after that they attract such grotesquely inflated prices.. but it is what it is.. ultimately I look on it as being half the challenge finding these discs now for decent money and accept that if I must own them I have to be resourceful and go treasure huntin'..! bit perverse and crazy but there ya go!

I've heard the name Romanotrax bandied around regarding other excellent transfers. Couldn't find any info but I'll keep looking. Yeah, 'twas a shame re: Paranoid, but it was a nice pack at a good price and, for now, it's better than nowt ;)

I agree though, there's a lot of satisfaction in finding something of 5.1 or hi-res nature for a bargain price. Found a few on eBay the other day :) What I'm now beginning to realise is that if there are more than one or even if it's not my cup of tea, I should snap them up for the purposes of trading with fellow QQ'ers :)

I've passed up on a number of titles simply because they've been ridiculously expensive. Just last night, I found a copy of Frankie Goes to Hollywood's SACD compilation, and as a mad keen Trevor Horn/ZTT/Frankie fan, I almost parted with £110 for it until, a few seconds later, I realised that was just f*****g insane, so I offered him £20 for it. Needless to say, he declined, but I drew some small satisfaction from the fact that no-one bought it. I'm friends with the label manager at ZTT and keep hassling him to re-release it officially, but no joy as yet ;)

UPDATE: I've just seen the seller of that Frankie SACD has just now relisted it for £99.99. I will make another cursory offer ;)

I've heard the name Romanotrax bandied around regarding other excellent transfers. Couldn't find any info but I'll keep looking. Yeah, 'twas a shame re: Paranoid, but it was a nice pack at a good price and, for now, it's better than nowt ;)

I agree though, there's a lot of satisfaction in finding something of 5.1 or hi-res nature for a bargain price. Found a few on eBay the other day :) What I'm now beginning to realise is that if there are more than one or even if it's not my cup of tea, I should snap them up for the purposes of trading with fellow QQ'ers :)

I've passed up on a number of titles simply because they've been ridiculously expensive. Just last night, I found a copy of Frankie Goes to Hollywood's SACD compilation, and as a mad keen Trevor Horn/ZTT/Frankie fan, I almost parted with £110 for it until, a few seconds later, I realised that was just f*****g insane, so I offered him £20 for it. Needless to say, he declined, but I drew some small satisfaction from the fact that no-one bought it. I'm friends with the label manager at ZTT and keep hassling him to re-release it officially, but no joy as yet ;)

UPDATE: I've just seen the seller of that Frankie SACD has just now relisted it for £99.99. I will make another cursory offer ;)

Romano is one of the most respected around and anything with his name you can be sure will be top notch.

definitely grab whatever you can rock/pop etc..! its all out of print so even if it seems cheap/easy to get right now it won't be long before everything gets pricey/hard to find and someone will want it.

I offered that eBay seller much more than £20 (I'll PM you my offer) and they still declined. just pure greed. please keep hassling your ZTT guy and see if you can convince them to re-issue their 5.1 mixes (DVDV/A best we can expect at this stage I feel) although I'm sure they're only too aware how much their SACDs go for nowadays.. so it seems a bit odd they're not more keen to re-release these mixes.. but then logic went out the window a long time ago where surround music's concerned!

yes, relisted, I spotted that. at £99.99 they'll probably accept £80 but that's still too much. I'm still kicking myself for passing on it years ago (and up until fairly recently) when you could still get it new (from people like Amazon UK and ZTT direct themselves) for RRP. there was a time here in the UK they could hardly give these things away! (I got some amazing stuff from various UK outlets around 5-ish years ago.. suddenly prices shot up - and the rest is history). ah well... we live and learn eh!

Seems like it would be way easier to re-release the SACD since it's ready to go. Just get more pressed. Even AF managed that, having made more of the Deep Purple title and a few others, years later. Now it's back to being out of print again.

I have Mr Wilson to thank for kick starting me into buying more surround releases. I already had a pretty substantial collection but my listening habits had declined somewhat until I picked up the incredible "Raven That Refused To Sing" last week. It's an astonishing surround sound feast that, imho, sets a new benchmark for how good surround should be. And it got me back into putting time aside to listen to titles on the surruond formats again. :)

So, suitably inspired I have been buyng again and this week picked up a copy of Rumours DVD-A, Thick as a Brick 2 and also finally got around to getting my Thick as a Brick 1 DVD replaced. Going to be a weekend of music, methinks.

I have Mr Wilson to thank for kick starting me into buying more surround releases. I already had a pretty substantial collection but my listening habits had declined somewhat until I picked up the incredible "Raven That Refused To Sing" last week. It's an astonishing surround sound feast that, imho, sets a new benchmark for how good surround should be. And it got me back into putting time aside to listen to titles on the surruond formats again. :)

So, suitably inspired I have been buyng again and this week picked up a copy of Rumours DVD-A, Thick as a Brick 2 and also finally got around to getting my Thick as a Brick 1 DVD replaced. Going to be a weekend of music, methinks.

That Mr Wilson has a lot to answer for! ;)

I bet it was you who outbid me on the Rumours DVD-A on ebay too! LOL ;)

Doesn't he? Around here we commonly refer to "Fear of a Blank Planet" as "Fear of a Blank Wallet" in reverance to him! ;)

wrt Rumours I got mine from an Amazon Marketplance seller - so not guilty sir! ...at least not on this occassion ;)

These babies keep on coming...

384778_10151597040670499_214896463_n.jpg

Arrived today!

In Time - The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003 (DVDA).

Motivated by all of Failed Muso's recent R.E.M DVDA buying spree, I suddenly realised I didn't have the jewel case version of this (I was never fussed about the 5.1 mix, the individual albums being much nicer).. so when I saw it for 17 quid "like new" the other day I thought "ah well good a time as any, innit..!" :D

In Time - The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003 (DVDA).

Motivated by all of Failed Muso's recent R.E.M DVDA buying spree, I suddenly realised I didn't have the jewel case version of this (I was never fussed about the 5.1 mix, the individual albums being much nicer).. so when I saw it for 17 quid "like new" the other day I thought "ah well good a time as any, innit..!" :D

I got a 2nd copy of that the other day (large DVD-A case)... its on its way to someone mentioned in this thread..:rolleyes:

In between more R.E.M. discs winging their way to me, these dropped through my letterbox today...

598771_10151603185780499_791759013_n.jpg

601539_10151603188785499_584443174_n.jpg

Pink was £2.49 and the Furries album was about 50p more! (I've since found ample stocks of 'Love Kraft' new on Amazon for £1.99!! http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000AJIAX0/?tag=sacdinfocom08-21 )

The Pink album is not as bad as I thought it might be and as for the Super Furry Animals, it's instantly gone in as one of my favourite m/c SACD's, although I panicked a bit when it arrived as there is no SACD logo on it anywhere. But it certainly is an SACD and a very good one at that. Dreamy, Welsh goodness and the best use of the Delay Lama instrument I've ever heard! :D

Inspired solely by posts here:

LTJ Bukem - Planet Earth (CD/DVD DTS)

Tipper - Surrounded. (Dual Disc)

I'd say the former has more interesting music and the latter has a better surround mix. Both are worth getting though!

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing. Great mix, beautifully played and recorded - I can't help feeling that the music is just a little too retro-flavoured, which although pleasant doesn't hit the spot for me the way that PT does. I far prefer SW in "contemporary mode".

Stick Men - Deep. I got given the CD by Pat Mastelotto during last year, and it rapidly became a favourite. The surround version is excellently done, and stays faithful to the spirit of the original stereo in a beautifully tasteful way. Good bonus content, too.

A Scarcity of Miracles. It's a grower. Sonically excellent. Looking forward to hearing it some more...

Yup, guess what... another R.E.M. gem. I was also hoping to have "Automatic for the People" but some uncouth and mercenary b*****d sniped my own sniping by £1. I actually screamed!! I have a horrid feeling it will evade me for some time :(

Anyway, this will help ease the pain...

59733_10151605200540499_118980533_n.jpg

The Thorns (Hybrid M/C SACD),
Street ~ Legal - Bob Dylan (Hybrid SACD),
Infidels - Bob Dylan (Hybrid SACD),
Show - Allison Moorer (CD/DVD digipak),
Lush Life: The Music Of Billy Strayhorn - Joe Henderson (Hybrid M/C SACD).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back