What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Time - The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003 (DVDA).

Motivated by all of Failed Muso's recent R.E.M DVDA buying spree, I suddenly realised I didn't have the jewel case version of this (I was never fussed about the 5.1 mix, the individual albums being much nicer).. so when I saw it for 17 quid "like new" the other day I thought "ah well good a time as any, innit..!" :D

Do you mean that the 5.1-mix of those songs differ from the In Time collection and the respective album release? I have not noticed this if this is the case and I have Out of Time, Automatic... and New Adventures...

Do you mean that the 5.1-mix of those songs differ from the In Time collection and the respective album release? I have not noticed this if this is the case and I have Out of Time, Automatic... and New Adventures...

The mixes don't differ, but there are a few songs you can't get anywhere else in surround (Bad Day, etc..)

Rush Counterparts stereo SACD showed up today from importcds.com (my last order from them ever!)

Interesting, it says Made in USA, rather than the usual Made In Austria. This is a sticker the was applied to the slipcase. I wonder if they're making SACDs in USA again, or if it's just an error of some kind.

Attachments

• rush_sacd_back.jpg
    rush_sacd_back.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 108
In between more R.E.M. discs winging their way to me, these dropped through my letterbox today...

View attachment 9790

View attachment 9791

Pink was £2.49 and the Furries album was about 50p more! (I've since found ample stocks of 'Love Kraft' new on Amazon for £1.99!! http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000AJIAX0/?tag=sacdinfocom08-21 )

The Pink album is not as bad as I thought it might be and as for the Super Furry Animals, it's instantly gone in as one of my favourite m/c SACD's, although I panicked a bit when it arrived as there is no SACD logo on it anywhere. But it certainly is an SACD and a very good one at that. Dreamy, Welsh goodness and the best use of the Delay Lama instrument I've ever heard! :D

I bought the Furries album after reading your post, and only because it was incredibly cheap and because of your comments. I have never heard any of their material previously. It arrived yesterday and I'm giving it a first listen right now and I must say I'm very, very impressed. Great songs and a very accomplished 5.1 mix. My only complaint is that it's a little over-compressed (damn that loudness disease) but apart from that it's most excellent! Many thanks for the heads-up! :)

I bought the Furries album after reading your post, and only because it was incredibly cheap and because of your comments. I have never heard any of their material previously. It arrived yesterday and I'm giving it a first listen right now and I must say I'm very, very impressed. Great songs and a very accomplished 5.1 mix. My only complaint is that it's a little over-compressed (damn that loudness disease) but apart from that it's most excellent! Many thanks for the heads-up! :)

You're more than welcome!

If anyone else fancies this album, I will have a few available to trade soon, so if anyone has 'Document' DVD-A or "Automatic for the People' (CD/DVDA) and fancies swapping for this cracking SACD, drop me a line :)

I will also have a couple of copies of the Pink album for trade too ;)

Just received last weekend a quite decent surprise...
Maybe I spent too much money (30+ EUROS) in Amazon.de (AGAIN!!!, this time they DID ship out of Germany)
BUT ,
I was pleasantly surprised to find that
David Bowie's "Reality" , which I only had ¡n the horrible Dullbee Dual Disc Version is a HUGE improvement on SACD!!!
Mind you , I am NOT a fan of SACDs in general (they are basically mutichannel CDs frequency wise), but at least this one is not lossy (well...at least WAY better than the Dual Disc!)
WAY FULLER (brush man) SOUND!!!
If you're gonna get this , get the SACD...

I meant I prefer the non-hit album tracks in 5.1. some of those huge Hits on the In Time/Best of DVDA just don't do it for me in surround.

After collecting just about every progressive rock release on 5.1 (at least just about every one I want anyway) I thought it was about time I delved into the world of classical music in surround sound.

What better place to start than the 2009 Grammy winner for best surround album "Mussorgsky: Pictures At An Exhibition; Night On Bald Mountain; Prelude To Khovanshchina" performed by Paavo Järvi & the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra on SACD? For good measure I also bought a harp arrangement (!) of Philip Glass Glassworks/Metamorphosis/The Hours which should make for interesting listening too!

Spyro Gyra - The Deep End (SACD), never heard this before, just looked at it on Amazon UK and bought it, and its very very good stuff, relaxing jazz with a cool groove, great MCH mix. Very cool for both paying attention or for easy listening, reading a book or something
Yellowjackets - Lifecycle (SACD)
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (SACD)

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (Blu Ray, DVD, 2 CDS) amaaaaazing package... i dont know where i can put it, but amazing! havent heard it yet

Last edited:
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms (SACD)

Decided to buy it after all this time. Ordered it a few weeks ago and when it arrived I tossed the disc in the Oppo and wtf no surround? Took the disc out and it was the standard cd - someone had seemingly swapped out the SACD. Got a refund and was told to just keep the standard cd (it was in the sacd case with the "5.1 mix" sticker and everything). Ordered another copy and it arrived, with the correct disc, today.

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms (SACD)

Decided to buy it after all this time. Ordered it a few weeks ago and when it arrived I tossed the disc in the Oppo and wtf no surround? Took the disc out and it was the standard cd - someone had seemingly swapped out the SACD. Got a refund and was told to just keep the standard cd (it was in the sacd case with the "5.1 mix" sticker and everything). Ordered another copy and it arrived, with the correct disc, today.
So are these used disks you're buying, like from secondspin.com or somewhere like that?

So are these used disks you're buying, like from secondspin.com or somewhere like that?

Actually it was new from an Amazon reseller, one I've bought from several times before. They were probably not even aware that the case did not have the right disc in it.

Chocolate Factory - R. Kelly (DVD-A).

fredblue, how much do you spend a month on your surround purchases? must be a fortune...

I joined the "surround buying community" pretty early, in 2003 I think. In the last weeks I have ordered the only two records I do want but missed out before they got oop, America's Homecoming and Doobie Brother's Me and the Captain on DVD-A. I ordered them used on the Amazon marketplace for a little less than 50 USD each. The Swedish currency SEK is currently strong against the USD so I think this is a good time to fill this gap.

I have received the America disc and I am very happy with it. Organic HiRez sonics and a stellar mix by Elliot S and the biggest surprise of them all, I really like all of the songs - some of them also in demo sonic/mix quality.

Next up The Doobie disc - I hope it is as gratifying as the America one.

fredblue, how much do you spend a month on your surround purchases? must be a fortune...

I joined the "surround buying community" pretty early, in 2003 I think. In the last weeks I have ordered the only two records I do want but missed out before they got oop, America's Homecoming and Doobie Brother's Me and the Captain on DVD-A. I ordered them used on the Amazon marketplace for a little less than 50 USD each. The Swedish currency SEK is currently strong against the USD so I think this is a good time to fill this gap.

I have received the America disc and I am very happy with it. Organic HiRez sonics and a stellar mix by Elliot S and the biggest surprise of them all, I really like all of the songs - some of the are demo quality.

Next up The Doobie disc - I hope it is as gratifying as the America one.

Fredblue is from the UK, of couse he has almost no taxes to pay. HAhahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back