What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks QL :)

the Caetano Veloso I've seen discussed online a couple of times.. and it's been listed here on QQ by traders as a rarity.. so I'm glad I got that new and sealed at a decent price.. though I don't think it could be considered particularly "in demand" or that hard to come by..

..but the Fygi "Change" is one of those I haven't been able to find any info on (nor anyone selling it - or owning it - anywhere!)...

..I'm not sure if it made it past the promo stage.. may be one for the "Ultra-Rare" category..?!?

There's another Laura Fygi SACD (Live at Ronnie Scott's) but all copies had a fault in the MultiCh and so there are often copies floating about of that one at any given time (both new and used) but her "Change" disc is a bit of a mystery.

You have some good SACDs there.

Always liked the Laura Fygi SACDs. But you are right - the Multi Channel one has an authoring/mastering problem as does the Multi Channel layer on the Jack McDuff/Joey DeFrancesco SACD "It's About Time" on Concord Jazz.
See the discussion here at https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?5935-Jack-McDuff-Joey-DeFrancesco-Disc-Errors
Frustrating since both are excellent musically!

The Caetano Veloso Multichannel SACD is an interesting one. Very well recorded and an audiophile demo during the heyday of SACD and DVD-A, his takes on a number of well known songs are very unique.

And Rage Hard - some fun Surround Sound mixes on that one.

Enjoy !

Genesis
1983-1998 PAL SACD Box set
...on sale for 60 Euros new in the FNAC...
not a big fan of this period but it seemed like a nice deal...

You have some good SACDs there.

Always liked the Laura Fygi SACDs. But you are right - the Multi Channel one has an authoring/mastering problem as does the Multi Channel layer on the Jack McDuff/Joey DeFrancesco SACD "It's About Time" on Concord Jazz.
See the discussion here at https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?5935-Jack-McDuff-Joey-DeFrancesco-Disc-Errors
Frustrating since both are excellent musically!

The Caetano Veloso Multichannel SACD is an interesting one. Very well recorded and an audiophile demo during the heyday of SACD and DVD-A, his takes on a number of well known songs are very unique.

And Rage Hard - some fun Surround Sound mixes on that one.

Enjoy !

Thank you for the neat info on the Jack McDuff/Joey DeFrancesco disc, that's another one I never knew existed and can add to my sa-cd.net wishlist..!

How do you rate the surround mix on the Laura Fygi "Change" SACD?

Is it a discrete mix or an ambient one?

Genesis
1983-1998 PAL SACD Box set
...on sale for 60 Euros new in the FNAC...
not a big fan of this period but it seemed like a nice deal...

My Hooverphonic "No More Sweet Music" DualDisc(s) just came from FNAC..!

(Just in case anyone here is looking for it new/sealed and wants to ensure they get the right version with the 2 surround discs inside!).

yeah , the FNAC..(a French multinational hifi, instruments, gear, etc company-also in Spain...tentacles everywhere---sometimes you can get a "bargain" from them....

Thank you for the neat info on the Jack McDuff/Joey DeFrancesco disc, that's another one I never knew existed and can add to my sa-cd.net wishlist..!

How do you rate the surround mix on the Laura Fygi "Change" SACD?

Is it a discrete mix or an ambient one?

The McDuff/DeFrancesco SACD is really good. I actually went through several copies to make sure they hadn't done a second run where the mastering/authoring error was corrected.
Definitely recommended - even though a few tracks are only available in SACD Stereo and CD Stereo due to the mastering/authoring error.

I'll have to pull out the "Change" SACD to check on the surround mix. I have both of Fygi's SACDs - I really like her singing on these albums.

Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics (CD + 5.1 DVD-A set)
Rush - Counterparts (SACD 2ch)

The McDuff/DeFrancesco SACD is really good. I actually went through several copies to make sure they hadn't done a second run where the mastering/authoring error was corrected.
Definitely recommended - even though a few tracks are only available in SACD Stereo and CD Stereo due to the mastering/authoring error.

I'll have to pull out the "Change" SACD to check on the surround mix. I have both of Fygi's SACDs - I really like her singing on these albums.

Thank you :)

Look forward to your thoughts on Fygi before I unwrap her :eek:

Just took delivery of The Moody's "A Question of Balance." For some unknown reason this ended up being the only one of their recent re-releases that I didn't buy when they first came out, so this makes the complete set. :)

Just took delivery of The Moody's "A Question of Balance." For some unknown reason this ended up being the only one of their recent re-releases that I didn't buy when they first came out, so this makes the complete set. :)

I know these SACDs have their "issues" and some people aren't keen on them at all.. but I reckon they're pretty great and have enjoyed all of them over the years.

If only Universal UK had similarly released SACDs of the rest of the Elton 70's classics, all that time after UMG USA pulled the plug.. I was still hopeful back when these Moody's SACDs came out that we'd still get the other Elton SACDs. now, not so much.. I'd even (reluctantly) take them on Dolby D DVDV's if its the only way we're gonna get them now!

Just got home from a week working in Denver and had a pile of packages waiting for me including this little lot!

As I get closer to completing the R.E.M. 5.1 collection (Automatic for the People is in the post!), I started to find a lot of Talking Heads CD/DVD-A albums at very reasonable prices. As with R.E.M., there are one or two elusive titles, but the bulk are fairly abundant :)

522396_10151626397070499_1361187073_n.jpg

Just got home from a week working in Denver and had a pile of packages waiting for me including this little lot!

As I get closer to completing the R.E.M. 5.1 collection (Automatic for the People is in the post!), I started to find a lot of Talking Heads CD/DVD-A albums at very reasonable prices. As with R.E.M., there are one or two elusive titles, but the bulk are fairly abundant :)

View attachment 9942

"Naked" and "Little Creatures" are the two Talking Heads' CD/DVDA sets (UK/Euro issue only, the DualDiscs are Rhino U.S.A affairs) that regularly fetch the highest sums now, especially "Naked".

Or you could lookout for the Talking Heads "Brick" (beautiful looking box set) and get all of their albums in Adv Res 5.1 in one fell swoop (albeit on DVDA/DualDiscs) ;)

"Naked" and "Little Creatures" are the two Talking Heads' CD/DVDA sets (UK/Euro issue only, the DualDiscs are Rhino U.S.A affairs) that regularly fetch the highest sums now, especially "Naked".

Or you could lookout for the Talking Heads "Brick" (beautiful looking box set) and get all of their albums in Adv Res 5.1 in one fell swoop (albeit on DVDA/DualDiscs) ;)

Yup, them's the two that go for silly money. Well, like the R.E.M. discs, I'll get what I can afford, namely all the other albums, and then see what bargains I can find for the others :)

'Brick' would indeed by a nice acquisition.

Yup, them's the two that go for silly money. Well, like the R.E.M. discs, I'll get what I can afford, namely all the other albums, and then see what bargains I can find for the others :)

'Brick' would indeed by a nice acquisition.

sounds like a good plan! i got "Naked" (sounds dodgy) on DualDisc as a way to get it cheap (its still Adv Res 5.1) and got the "Brick" not that long ago so I've got them all on DVDA & DualD's... another artists catalogue in surround complete-o! so satisfying! :)

I wasn't aware that this release existed. Likely you noticed that it is a 3ch recording. I do have a Classic Records 24/96 DAD DVD of it in 2ch from 2000. Both the performance and fidelity of that disc are spectacular. Ronnie, Pete, Lee & Fred never sounded better.
dad1041l.jpg

Likely the 3ch SACD will be a winner, too, especially since it's AP.

Check out the PBS documentary, Wasn't That a Time, filmed shortly before Lee's death in 1981. It is complete here, with an introduction from a German broadcast. The audio level is a bit low.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KfjvVohAWM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back