What's the latest Multichannel SACD or DVD-A added to your pile? - Vol 1 (CLOSED)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just Like A Woman: Hymn to Nina - Barb Jungr (Hybrid M/C SACD),
Appalachian Journey - Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, Mark O'Connor (Sony Single Layer Stereo SACD),
In Modern Times - Spyro Gyra (Hybrid M/C SACD),
Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique - Boston Symphony Orchestra: Charles Munch conductor (Living Stereo Hybrid M/C SACD).

fredblue, how much do you spend a month on your surround purchases? must be a fortune...

I joined the "surround buying community" pretty early, in 2003 I think. In the last weeks I have ordered the only two records I do want but missed out before they got oop, America's Homecoming and Doobie Brother's Me and the Captain on DVD-A. I ordered them used on the Amazon marketplace for a little less than 50 USD each. The Swedish currency SEK is currently strong against the USD so I think this is a good time to fill this gap.

I have received the America disc and I am very happy with it. Organic HiRez sonics and a stellar mix by Elliot S and the biggest surprise of them all, I really like all of the songs - some of them also in demo sonic/mix quality.

Next up The Doobie disc - I hope it is as gratifying as the America one.

Hi-Rez/Surround music's really my only serious hobby these days. plus the majority of this stuff I get as cheap as poss, unless its the odd super rare thing which ordinarily costs more even if I find it relatively cheap(er) :)

Glad you're enjoying the "America". The "Homecoming" & "Doobies" DVDA's are two of my all-time top fave Hi-Rez/Surround discs (case in point re:spending, I got each of them in "like new" condition for under £20 apiece, one from a seller based in France, the other from a UK Play.com trader).

They're both fantastic Elliot Scheiner surround mixes of consistently solid classic rock music with superb sound quality. I've got a spare copy of the Doobies DVDA (which I got on eBay recently again for approx £20 quid) in case I "ware out" my first one, as its one of my most played surround discs..! :eek:

Just Like A Woman: Hymn to Nina - Barb Jungr (Hybrid M/C SACD),
Appalachian Journey - Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, Mark O'Connor (Sony Single Layer Stereo SACD),
In Modern Times - Spyro Gyra (Hybrid M/C SACD),
Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique - Boston Symphony Orchestra: Charles Munch conductor (Living Stereo Hybrid M/C SACD).

again to illustrate the frugality in my profligacy (!) to uffeolby..
.. I got each one of those SACDs while out and about earlier today, for the princely sum of £6 apiece, with all but the Barb Jungr SACD being in "like new" condition and Barb being in "very good" nick.

Thanks to forum member Cutter, I now have a copy of the Luther Vandross Dance With My Father DVD-Audio in great condition! While not necessarily the musical style that I typically listen to, this one sounds great to me :)

Thanks to forum member Cutter, I now have a copy of the Luther Vandross Dance With My Father DVD-Audio in great condition! While not necessarily the musical style that I typically listen to, this one sounds great to me :)

nice one (y)

great sound quality, better than the already nice sounding redbook and the surround mix has a fair few high spots.

it was a DVDA I'd wanted for a few years and when I finally found it cheap and in great shape, it was worth the wait.

still for me the best "J Records" DVDA all-round is the Alicia Keys disc, a bit of an unsung hero that one, hardly ever gets talked about but is well worth getting, even if its not one's usual cup of tea. it is really very good indeed, if a tiny bit over loud/compressed, I suspect that's inherent in the recording, could be the way its been mastered but the CD was like that too, though the DVDA still sounds noticeably better and in particular has much more impressive low end - boomtastic..! it helps I love that Alicia album, its such a strong set of songs, not a duffer in the bunch!

The Toto SACD mentioned in post #2220 arrived yesterday in a plastic slipcase. It's the multi-channel version.

R.E.M. "Document" DVD-A. Finally managed to get one! :)

Spawny git! ;-)

Last night, whilst surfing stores in my hotel room, I found a used copy of 'Automatic for the People' on Play.com for £15 and when I get back from Denver, I have 'Green' & 'Up' waiting for me along with a few other titles by other artists, I hope!

'Document' Will be the last remaining m/c R.E.M. disc for me to get to complete that little collection.

Change - Laura Fygi (Hybrid M/C SACD),
A Foreign Sound - Caetano Veloso (Hybrid M/C SACD),
Rage Hard: The Sonic Collection - Frankie Goes To Hollywood (Hybrid M/C SACD).

:51banana:

WELCOME!!! One of the jewels of my SACD collection. I sent across the pond for this when it was new. A must own for anyone that remotely digs Frankie. Holly Johnson's unique voice is the biggest draw. Relax.

frankie-goes-to-hollywood-rage-hard-540x390.jpg

Change - Laura Fygi (Hybrid M/C SACD),
A Foreign Sound - Caetano Veloso (Hybrid M/C SACD),
Rage Hard: The Sonic Collection - Frankie Goes To Hollywood (Hybrid M/C SACD).

:51banana:

WELCOME!!! One of the jewels of my SACD collection. I sent across the pond for this when it was new. A must own for anyone that remotely digs Frankie. Holly Johnson's unique voice is the biggest draw. Relax.

View attachment 9862

Thank you! it feels good round here! ;)

I've had a DTS rip of it for about 5-ish years.. and I passed on it so many times when it was still out there on Amazon UK (etc) at RRP (commonly £12-£15) which wasn't that long ago in the scheme of things.. it was cheap & easy to get and I wasn't that fussed about what I'd heard in the DTS copy I'd found online.

plus at that time, I was focussing on getting MultiCh SACDs of things I'd really really liked the rips I'd heard so far (things like the 2 x Billy Joel 5.1's, the Joe Satriani 5.1, The O'Jays Ship Ahoy, The Isleys 3+3, Eric's 461 OB, Carpenters Singles, JB's Blow by Blow, Tapestry, Bryan Ferry, that kind of thing).

anyhoo.. I've been seriously searching for a Frankie in earnest the last couple of years.. (that's where he's been hiding! inside Earnest!) ..but refuse to pay the ludicrous sums it constantly fetches nowadays (it comes up for auction pretty regularly.. which leads me to wonder how "Rare" it really is..?) ..well I finally 'got lucky' midweek on eBay. I guess everyone was snoozing or out to lunch at the time and now here it is in my hot little hands, looking all lovely and spanky like new for £44.. still too much money for a glorified CD.. but the lowest I've seen it go in a wee while, unless I was snoozing last time it sold for less.. either way, I'm not complaining, I have it in time for the weekend so I'll crank it up tonight and parrrrr-teeeee with Frankie and the boys....!! :smokin

thanks QL :)

the Caetano Veloso I've seen discussed online a couple of times.. and it's been listed here on QQ by traders as a rarity.. so I'm glad I got that new and sealed at a decent price.. though I don't think it could be considered particularly "in demand" or that hard to come by..

..but the Fygi "Change" is one of those I haven't been able to find any info on (nor anyone selling it - or owning it - anywhere!)...

..I'm not sure if it made it past the promo stage.. may be one for the "Ultra-Rare" category..?!?

There's another Laura Fygi SACD (Live at Ronnie Scott's) but all copies had a fault in the MultiCh and so there are often copies floating about of that one at any given time (both new and used) but her "Change" disc is a bit of a mystery.

Thank you! it feels good round here! ;)

I've had a DTS rip of it for about 5-ish years.. and I passed on it so many times when it was still out there on Amazon UK (etc) at RRP (commonly £12-£15) which wasn't that long ago in the scheme of things.. it was cheap & easy to get and I wasn't that fussed about what I'd heard in the DTS copy I'd found online.

plus at that time, I was focussing on getting MultiCh SACDs of things I'd really really liked the rips I'd heard so far (things like the 2 x Billy Joel 5.1's, the Joe Satriani 5.1, The O'Jays Ship Ahoy, The Isleys 3+3, Eric's 461 OB, Carpenters Singles, JB's Blow by Blow, Tapestry, Bryan Ferry, that kind of thing).

anyhoo.. I've been seriously searching for a Frankie in earnest the last couple of years.. (that's where he's been hiding! inside Earnest!) ..but refuse to pay the ludicrous sums it constantly fetches nowadays (it comes up for auction pretty regularly.. which leads me to wonder how "Rare" it really is..?) ..well I finally 'got lucky' midweek on eBay. I guess everyone was snoozing or out to lunch at the time and now here it is in my hot little hands, looking all lovely and spanky like new for £44.. still too much money for a glorified CD.. but the lowest I've seen it go in a wee while, unless I was snoozing last time it sold for less.. either way, I'm not complaining, I have it in time for the weekend so I'll crank it up tonight and parrrrr-teeeee with Frankie and the boys....!! :smokin

Great news that you've finally snagged a copy, but I agree, even at £44, that's just silly money. That guy on eBay that wanted £120 is still trying to shift it at £99, to which I salute him with two fingers. I will, at the last hour, offer him my maximum, and he will, as he always does, decline it. I'd have to have had a little win on the lotto before relenting to pay anything over £30 for it. I love Frankie, I adore Trevor Horn, but there is a limit ;)

Hope you enjoy it! :)

Great news that you've finally snagged a copy, but I agree, even at £44, that's just silly money. That guy on eBay that wanted £120 is still trying to shift it at £99, to which I salute him with two fingers. I will, at the last hour, offer him my maximum, and he will, as he always does, decline it. I'd have to have had a little win on the lotto before relenting to pay anything over £30 for it. I love Frankie, I adore Trevor Horn, but there is a limit ;)

Hope you enjoy it! :)

I'm curious to know what they would accept... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back