MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look how bad the HD tracks download is:yikes check out their other offerings in different forms; they are all pretty bad HERE

bloody hell! :yikes that's terrible! :yikes

didn't think the Blu-ray sounded that great but as compressed as that!? wow! :yikes

what's the point of Hi-Res compressed to death music?

can a disc not be overly loud/maximised and still have its DR squashed? the BDA doesn't sound mega loud, just bright and bass heavy.

oh and another :yikes for good measure! :D

bloody hell! :yikes that's terrible! :yikes

didn't think the Blu-ray sounded that great but as compressed as that!? wow! :yikes

what's the point of Hi-Res compressed to death music?

can a disc not be overly loud/maximised and still have its DR squashed? the BDA doesn't sound mega loud, just bright and bass heavy.

oh and another :yikes for good measure! :D

To me it's a good example of a band that has their "sound" tailored for people who use portable devices; a classic "loudness war" illustration...it's a shame that this is the direction that many bands have taken...they have "sold out" their music to appeal to what they think is the masses...

Ian Anderson Live in Iceland. GREAT 5.1 mix by Jakko. I wish every Blu Ray concert was mixed like this. Very reminiscent of SW. Ian does not sound great and his phrasing is rather annoying. He stretches out one syllables words and adds syllables, instead of just singing the words, he will sing heyyyyyehaaay(hey). The vocals are not great and they are sometimes slightly buried but the music is steller and sounds fantastic. I would give the 5.1 mix 9/10!

Gojira The Flesh Alive.

Full use of rears(for guitars). Loud and super aggressive(a bit too compressed but not as bad as Rush Blu Rays). Intense to say the least. These guys make most prog groups sound like amateurs(not that they are prog).

Unfortunately the vocals are horrific, because the music is insane. Crazy tempo changes, stops/ starts and brilliant rhythm playing. No metal band I have heard can hold a candle to these guys musically.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Flesh-Alive-Blu-ray-CD/dp/B007U2AC3Q

Attachments

• 233945a-emp.jpg
    233945a-emp.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 309
Sepultura Live in Rio. All 5 speakers used. Phantom rear center used as I like! Mighty percussion throughout.

The major issue with this release is that it has the worst drum sound I have ever heard. It literally sounds like the drummer is banging on a plastic lunch box, or at time a large piece of thick paper. It is seriously terrible. Lars Ulrich's drum sound on St Anger is superior.

Attachments

• 110071_large.jpg
    110071_large.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 286
Eppu Normaali - Mutala - Blu-ray

Finally - I'd given up hope and thought it had been lost in transit. It
shipped to me on the 17th of September. It appeared in my mailbox today!!

Eppu Normaali - Mutala - Blu-ray

Finally - I'd given up hope and thought it had been lost in transit. It
shipped to me on the 17th of September. It appeared in my mailbox today!!

Great to hear it arrived at last! You normally get everything first in NZ! (Hope you enjoy it more than I did.. :eek: )

Between the buried and me: Future sequence Live.

I am very dissapointed and pretty angry that the sound is Dolby Digital 2.0! It is a disgrace. I think I will email the record label. They have a DVD A in 5.1 but the damn Blu Ray is 2.0, and DD at that!

Pendragon: Out of order comes Chaos. Poor sound. LPCM 5.1 track sound almost exactly same as 2.0. 5.1 has slightly more bottom end but not much. What a waste. They could of least put some audience, echo, ambiance in rears to give a sense of the venue.

It is a real shame that truly great music like this hasn't got the SW treatment.

Surprisingly, on Steven Wilson's birthday, he sent ME presents!
(Well actually Burning Shed did, but anyway…)

Both "Drums & Wires" and "Relayer" Blu-Rays have arrived!
So listening, voting, and reviewing are all taking place.

(For D&W it's only the bonus tracks though as I already reviewed the main mix)

:)

Michael Schenker Group; live in Tokyo. I bought this due to review stating the music was mixed discretely in surround. I have never heard any of the material.

I am truly shocked by how terrible the singer is. I do mean terrible. No talent as a vocalist whatsoever. It is actually embarrassing. Real shame because the guitar playing and the drumming are great. The mix is mainly front heavy although the drum solo in mixed in 5.1. Rears, some crowd, ambiance, occasional phantom rear center used for bass drum.

I would of preferred this as an instrumental release. I can't believe what I am hearing.

Attachments

• 511xe95fF5L.jpg
    511xe95fF5L.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 137
Back