DVD-V 5.1 Albums - What's Your Latest? NO Video DVD-V, DVD-A, Blu-Ray-A or SACD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stay The Night from Uphollow will surely sound lovely in 5.1 :)

Stay The Night from Uphollow will surely sound lovely in 5.1 :)

I took a chance and ordered it from AmazonUS.....CD/DVD brand new $1.99 + s/h [shipped first class]. Why Not?

I'm now spinning the cd/dvd dd 5.1 of John Luther Adams w/Wilco drummer Glenn Kotche: 'Ilimaq.' Some pretty spacey music for the Spacey age we live in. A nice slide show accompanies the audio.

I took a chance and ordered it from AmazonUS.....CD/DVD brand new $1.99 + s/h [shipped first class]. Why Not?

I'm now spinning the cd/dvd dd 5.1 of John Luther Adams w/Wilco drummer Glenn Kotche: 'Ilimaq.' Some pretty spacey music for the Spacey age we live in. A nice slide show accompanies the audio.

I've ordered Adams' Become Ocean album and I think it's a piece of absolute majestic beauty.

The music truly makes you feel as if you were underwater in the ocean.

I've ordered Adams' Become Ocean album and I think it's a piece of absolute majestic beauty.

The music truly makes you feel as if you were underwater in the ocean.

I agree, Simon.

There is such a sparse selection of truly beautiful ambient music in 5.1 so it's gratifying to have John Luther Adams represented in such an unexplored genre.

I wish they'd transfer ALL three JLA 5.1 albums to a single BD~A with hi def slide shows.

Jackets For The Trip - Uphollow (CD + DVD-V)

MANY thanks to Adam for recommending this infectious DVD DTS 5.1/RBCD release. Received it today and WOW......the DVD contains almost 43 minutes of incredible discretely mixed, well recorded POWER POP with accompanying video content. Haven't yet played the included RBCD but I highly recommend this release. I only paid $2 + s/h brand new, sealed from AmazonUS. A few more are available at that price and includes first class shipping as well.

The Cactus Of Knowledge - Rabih Abou-Khalil (DTS 5.1 DVD-V)

Had a prickly time (cactus of knowledge! prickly! geddit? wocka.. wocka.. wock.. err ..I'll get me coat! :eek: ) finding the DVD-A, after the tip off from QQ member Plan9 (Thank you! :) I'd never heard of it before he mentioned it, had any of you?)... so anyway, blah dee blah, couldn't find a copy of the DVD-A (now where have we all heard/encountered that before? :D ) ...so.. I picked up this DVD-Version instead and all for a couple of quid, hoorah.. looks interesting.. more interesting than my backstory.. ooh it don't half look spangly an' all, that juicy little strawberry all sticky icky sittin pretty on the couch gettin psychoanalysed by that prickly ickly cactus, it can only end in tears! That and a big flourish at the end of a sitar solo! Mmmm.. Shiny new (old) thingsssss.. :bounce

Ayreon-Actual Fantasy. 51FJk9ZUEwLarye.jpg

Finally!

Attachments

• image-186352841.jpg
    image-186352841.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 123

Yeay! Nice one! That set goes for a pretty penny now doesn't it..?
(funny that, Surround isn't so desirable, until it goes out of print.. and then.. whoosh the price shoots up and/or its nowhere to be found..! Unobatnium! Although I'm sure this one sold out because of everything else in the set apart from the surround, yes, sir-ee.. and all that)

Yeay! Nice one! That set goes for a pretty penny now doesn't it..?
(funny that, Surround isn't so desirable, until it goes out of print.. and then.. whoosh the price shoots up and/or its nowhere to be found..! Unobatnium! Although I'm sure this one sold out because of everything else in the set apart from the surround, yes, sir-ee.. and all that)

This one was released at the same time as "Five Miles Out", which had a much cheaper list price. I bought FMO and thought I'd wait to see if the price of Crises would go down before picking it up. I was also hoping that there would be a cd/5.1 dvd like his previous releases. In the meantime I had forgotten about it and when I remembered, it was out of print and was going for about twice the list price (which is about what I ended up paying, but is now a relative bargain). Now this thing is regularly priced upwards of $200 U.S.

The messed-up thing is that four of the five discs were opened and the only one still sealed was the 5.1 DVD. Now I'm no businessman, but it seems that Mike Oldfield could have made more $$ if he offered a stand-alone cd/dvd of this one like his others.

This one was released at the same time as "Five Miles Out", which had a much cheaper list price. I bought FMO and thought I'd wait to see if the price of Crises would go down before picking it up. I was also hoping that there would be a cd/5.1 dvd like his previous releases. In the meantime I had forgotten about it and when I remembered, it was out of print and was going for about twice the list price (which is about what I ended up paying, but is now a relative bargain). Now this thing is regularly priced upwards of $200 U.S.

The messed-up thing is that four of the five discs were opened and the only one still sealed was the 5.1 DVD. Now I'm no businessman, but it seems that Mike Oldfield could have made more $$ if he offered a stand-alone cd/dvd of this one like his others.

Your experience matches mine, I held off thinking it'd either go down in price or there'd be a cheaper slimmed down alternative.. well, we both know how that worked out! :) Now I try not to snooze and lose even if it means going for a box with other unwanted stuff etc..

Yes, it is all rather messed up.. and is a scenario I'm sure repeated many times over the years.. one wonders how many more of these surround things would have been sold if they'd been more readily available, in print for longer, or not buried inside boxes of other things like vinyl that don't necessarily appeal to Surround/Hi-Res digital consumers.. it seems the message does get through sometimes (as with the very recent case of the upcoming Alan Parsons Project, common sense has prevailed and we're getting a standalone Blu-ray!) but you can't help but contemplate 'what if' that was more the norm rather than the exception..?

https://smile.amazon.com/24-Strings-...892877&sr=8-17

Night Ranger: 24 Strings and a Drummer

I rarely post but I've had this a few months now and no one has mentioned it. If you like 80's Night Ranger, this is a must buy. Live acoustic set. Sadly only DD 5.1. Discrete, but not much in rears other than crowd noise. No loudness b.s. going on here. These guys flat out jam on the guitars. Don't Tell Me You Love Me is absolutely awesome/insane. Them be acoustic guitars there guys, take it easy... lol Would love to get this with a real 5.1 mix via Blu or DTS. Still my fave disc right now. Acoustic bliss here.

Last edited:
https://smile.amazon.com/24-Strings-...892877&sr=8-17

Night Ranger: 24 Strings and a Drummer

I rarely post but I've had this a few months now and no one has mentioned it. If you like 80's Night Ranger, this is a must buy. Live acoustic set. Sadly only DD 5.1. Discrete, but not much in rears other than crowd noise. No loudness b.s. going on here. These guys flat out jam on the guitars. Don't Tell Me You Love Me is absolutely awesome. Would love to get this with a real 5.1 mix via Blu or DTS. Still my fave disc right now. Acoustic bliss here.

I wish there was a nice release of the Seven Wishes concert VHS from the 80's. I must have played that thing to death. I love their first three albums. I never got to see them live as they never came to Montreal in those days.

Back